Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Images

Bridge hammocks:WBRR vs BMBH vs gathered end for side sleeping?

OK, this is simply a new thread stemming from some questions raised in another thread where fiveonomo is having to switch from a WB RR bridge to some other hammock due to inability to sleep on his side. A couple of other folks chimed in to voice the same problem. This caused Outandback to chime in saying he was confused, he thought the whole idea of bridge hammocks was so people could side sleep without problems.

All of that caused me to come in and say I was confused, because I thougt all of the folks who did not quite like a BMBH were tickled with all aspects of the RR in comparison to the BMBH including side sleeping, except me. Because I had some issues, kind of significant at first, with side sleeping in the WBRR, though it was improving last time I tried it.

So this makes me want to ask: Is there a difference when side sleeping with legs straight to the advantage of the BMBH and/or gathered ends vs the WBRR? I'm not talking about fetal position. I don't think any of these bridge hammocks are very good for that, just OK at best. Because not enough room to pull my knees up very far, this might vary with how long oyur legs are. I'm talking about with slight fetal or legs straight, which for me has always been one of the original JRB BMBH, and to a lessor degree the BMBH UL's strong points. I've spent many night very comfy on my side in these hammocks. I have copied the applicable posts on the subject of side sleeping below:

Quote Originally Posted by fiveonomo View Post
    Hello all, I am the pround owner of a WBRR. The quality of this piece of gear is amazing. I have owned it for about 8 nonths I think and used it about 8-10 times. I bought the spindrift for it and it is really great at how it holds more heat in. I bought the Lynx UQ, again the quality, fit and finish is second to none.

Here is my delima: I am a side sleeper and I cannot sleep on my side in my WBRR. I have tried everything and because of the width of my shoulders it just does not work. I am considering selling all of it to fund the purchase of the WBBB XLC. Is this a stupid desicion? I have to much going on in 2014 to buy the BB outright, I have to raise the money some other way. I wonder if I will regret this?

I do not have anyone anywhere near me that I know of to try the XLC so I guess I just have to pull the trigger. Worst case it does not work for me either and I go back to the ground, that would suck. What do you guys think? I have learned a lot here from everyone, looking for some advice. Thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Man I'm confused. I always thought peeps bought bridge hammocks so they could sleep better on their side and stomachs?
    I am a side sleeper and have only used gathered end hammocks never tried a bridge.

I would try a simple DIY 11x60 gatherend in your basement just to see if you can fall asleep in any hammock.
    There are many who find hammocks very comfortable to lay in but can't fall asleep.
    Quote Originally Posted by cfi on the fly View Post
    That was my issue with the RR too. Awesome back lay but just not deep or wide enough for side sleep. If you really like the bridge style I think the JRB bridge was better for side sleep. I eventually went back to a gathered end and sleep better on my side.
    Quote Originally Posted by priller View Post
    Yeah man, I sold my RR/Spindrift setup to fund a warmer gathered end setup....
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Well doesn't matter now, either the WBBB XLC will work or it won't. Me, I can side sleep just fine in my BB and a few others also. But I am interested in what has come up in this thread. Maybe I need to start a new thread?

I have absolutely no trouble side sleeping in either of my JRB bridges, one of which is deeper than the other, except maybe for pulling my legs up very far into fetal. Side sleeping is one of their strong points. But I did have some difficulties in my RR even with the spreader bar extension left out. Admittedly, last time I was out things came together better and I felt pretty good, pretty stable, even on my side. So it was improving but I did not get to test it further.

But from all of the initial reviews on the WBRR, I felt I was the only one with that issue, the only one who felt like there might be a couple of ways in which the JRBs might have a strong point or 2 compared with the WBRR. Now looking at this thread, it looks to me like there may be others out there who noticed the same issues, related to side sleeping.

I for sure- except for the fetal thing in any bridge hammock-have no side issues with the JRBs, most especially the older models. With it, and even the UL version(not as deep) I can lean very comfortably and securely back into the side of the hammock, which is fully covered with the UQ.

Are other folks seeing this difference? (But again, let me emphasize I was feeling much more secure last time out with the RR, though still not a match for the BMBH in that regard. But better. Previously I felt I could easily roll out of the RR when on my side. Probably couldn't, but it just felt that way. Until this thread, I figured it was just me.
    Hi BB, With the title of this thread it might not get many comments regarding your question. If not i'd ask in a new thread.

I just bought a BMBH UL so I will be able to give you my feedback very soon. I only side sleep so we will see. If had the slightest feeling I would flip out of the hammock when on my side I would never be able to go to sleep.

Not directing this comment at the OP but in general I sometimes have to question the new hammock owners setup. Most of the time we don't get to see that unless detailed picts are posted.
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveonomo View Post
    Hey guys, I wish I had a picture of me laying in the RR but I dont. I found no Issues with the hammock other than not being able to lay on my side. The hammock is very stable and I never felt like I was going to fall out of it. It was very easy to set up and before I decided that i could not sleep on my side I went back to the basics. I watched some of shugs stuff again and various other videos and read articles/threads on set up. No matter what I did I was unable to lay on my side, the way my arm is tucked while sleeping is what caused the problem. The RR was to narrow to be comfortable. If I laid on my back it was fine but I am not a back sleeper.

I hope the BB is better for side sleeping, not sure. If it is not I will sell it here and go back to my Big Agnus Copper Spur UL2 where I was very comfortable, no issues other than im getting older and hate getting off of the ground. Other than the ground a tent was very comfortable for me. As much as we hate to say it here a hammock may just not be for certain people. I hope that I am not one of those people, but im a year into the hammock world and still searching for that comfortable lay. The ENO that I tried out wasnt bad before all of the WB stuff but thats just it.....it wasnt bad. The Woot Hammock sucked for me, my daughter loves it. The WBRR was an extremely well made piece of gear and on my back perfect, very warm but for me, uncomfortable to sleep on my side.

I need to be able to sleep on my side or I am not going to get any sleep. I leave May 3 for a 6-7 day trip and I want to make sure what gear I am carrying works. At this point if the BB does not work it will be a tent for the trip, I so want the BB to work. Wish me luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    Fiveonomo - I had the same experience with the wbrr and side sleeping.
    I have both the WBBB and XLC, and prefer the XLC. I can side sleep in it.
    I hope it works out for you.

Be sure to watch Brandons video on the XLC, he talks a bit about where your head should go.

Images
    OK, I see that fiveonomo's problem was not feeling like he would slip out, but a downside shoulder issue. I have also run into that with the JRBs. But I have always been able to find a comfy solution. I either:
    1: use a fat pillow
    2:Put my downside arm up under my head(I may need to be sleeping in something with insulated sleeves as my downside arm will be out of the TQ, but that arm is still insulated beneath by the JRB MW quilts
    3: go anywhere from just slightly to not quite all the way on my side and lean back into the sides of the JRB Deluxe(deeper). Can also do this with the UL, but not quite as deep.
    4: lean forward into the other side, halfway to stomach sleepin

Then with slight fetal or legs straight, I'm off to a good sleep. I can get in a position, like fiveonomo mentioned, where there is too much pressure on my shoulder, but I can nearly always find a spot to avoid that, and often that position is leaning back into that solidly supporting side.

This was always one of the JRB bridge strong points for me. Maybe one of the reasons I don't really care that much about the famous(infamous?) shoulder so-called squeeze in the JRB. True, even on my back, it just didn't bother me much, but I was always so quick to turn at least a little on my side anyway. And on my side I never had nay of the side twist issues that tended to interfere with non-bridge side sleeping, especially with legs straight.

Only a very few(if any) non-bridge that I have tried could fully match the JRBs in this area, and most can not come close. Though with many of the non-bridge, I can get real comfy in fetal. For example, my HH Explorer UL. I could never match a JRB bridge for side comfort with my 6'1" frame straight. But finding the sweet spot in fetal, no problem at all.

Images
    subscribing.
    I hope to receive my JRB Bridge UL Monday or Tuesday.
    Will post setup picks and plan to sleep in it right away.
    More to post once I get a few picts.

Which doesn't really have anything to do with your questions on the WB Ridge Runner.
    Hope I won't be a distraction in your thread BB58

Images
    subscribing.
    I hope to receive my JRB Bridge UL Monday or Tuesday.
    Will post setup picks and plan to sleep in it right away.
    More to post once I get a few picts.

Which doesn't really have anything to do with your questions on the WB Ridge Runner.
    Hope I won't be a distraction in your thread BB58
    Not at all! We can also talk about all things bridge hammock in this thread! I'm looking forward to see how you do on your side. I can lay back into the side of my UL pretty well, but it is not as deep and has less side wall than my old one. UL has a better view out the side and a little more shoulder room than the original, but nothing like the WBRR, bars are about 8-10" wider in the WB.

What made you go with with the BMBH UL rather than the WBRR? I didn't think any one did that anymore?

Honestly, I like my WBRR. It has about identical back comfort as my JRBs but with way more shoulder room. But on the side so far I'm giving at least some advantage to the JRBs, plus way less length and width to battle with my tarps. So I have not made a choice between them quite yet.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    snip...
    Not at all! We can also talk about all things bridge hammock in this thread! I'm looking forward to see how you do on your side. I can lay back into the side of my UL pretty well, but it is not as deep and has less side wall than my old one. UL has a better view out the side and a little more shoulder room than the original, but nothing like the WBRR, bars are about 8-10" wider in the WB.

What made you go with with the BMBH UL rather than the WBRR? I didn't think any one did that anymore?
    I could not pass up the price in the FS section on basicly a brand new hammock.
    I am a bit of a hammock collector these days and those I love I never part with.
    There is always a hanging situation where one hammock is better than another.
    It's nice to have choices.

In 2010 at the Colorado Winter Hang I got to lay in an original JRB Bridge and loved how flat the lay was on my side and stomach.
    On my back the walls were so high I could not see anything but up and
    being a newbie to HF and all starry eye with my brand new limited edition black wbbb I just forgot about the bridge.
    4 years and 8 hammocks later it's time to try a bridge again.

Sorry about the pict I was a newbie at taking hammock picts as well.

Last edited by OutandBack; 01-05-2014 at 17:50.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    I've never been in a JRB bridge so I can't compare, but I like being on my side in the WBRR. I can't stand having my downside arm under me...it has to be under my head and fairly straight. I now have some shoulder problems that make this uncomfortable in bed, but was pleased to find that the gentle slope of the WBRR from my shoulder to the corner is perfect for my arm and makes being on my side comfortable again.

Without the net, I have no problem laying my knee over the edge when I want to bring it up to stretch my back for a while. At 5'-8", I can easily move close to one edge and bring my knees up close to fetal. With the WBRR, you have to learn that you can lay very close to the edges and it's not going to drop you on the ground.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I think the problem with some people not liking a bridge hammock for side sleeping is the fact a bridge hammock is flat, very firm, no give in the fabric when you have your body weight on it spread out..fabric is tight as a banjo string,,and when on their sides,,no give for their shoulders and so "hard and too firm for them. When using the BMBH UL long before the RR,,I had to overcome that issue myself when side sleeping. Awesome lay on the back..I am not a stomach sleeper so can't comment on that issue. But,,I got used to sleeping on my side and smallish shoulder issues and now have none what so ever after sleeping and getting totally used to a Bridge Hammock be it BMBH UL or the WB RR. Last few nites,,got out the gathered end hammocks, and kept fighting the issues of the stressed legs and knees while stretched out on back and side,,and so I lengthened the RL to where it was almost as long as the hammock and found I could sleep on my back as well as my side,,and it was almost like laying a bridge with the high sides of the hammock surrounding me. It was awesome and I slept like a baby. The gathered end hammocks had a RL of about 115 inches on a 10 long hammock.. And quite comfy..Went back to the WB RR last nite and you could have set a bomb off next to me and I wouldn't have waked up as the wife was making all kinds of noise and even bumped the hammock a couple of times fiddling around in the living room and didn't wake me up..her comment was I slept like a log! So..that is my opinion of when on your side,,no fabric stretch for the shoulder and some people get a little shoulder pain in the morning. One other thing,,when sleeping on my side in a RR or UL bridge,,I have to have a solid pillow and keep the head horizontal with the bod...but in the gathered end,,need no more than half that firm pillow as I find its too much pillow in a gathered end hammock when on the side.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    My issue was laying in the fetal position - due to my longer legs, my knees weren't comfortable where they rested.
    But, I know others taller than me that this hammock works fine for.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have the WBRR and I find it extremely comfortable. I can sleep in basically any position I like. I'm a small guy at 5'7" and 155lbs so that probably helps. I even discovered a new side/back hybrid position. I have my head and shoulders in between a flat and side sleeping position in the top left corner of the hammock with my knees in a semi-fetal position. There's something about the way the hammock cradles me in that position that knocks me right out.

I've also found the tighter/flatter I pitch the hammock, the more comfortable it is. This can make it a bit more tippy, but I always seem to manage.

Images
    I could not pass up the price in the FS section on basicly a brand new hammock.
    I am a bit of a hammock collector these days and those I love I never part with.
    There is always a hanging situation where one hammock is better than another.
    It's nice to have choices.

In 2010 at the Colorado Winter Hang I got to lay in an original JRB Bridge and loved how flat the lay was on my side and stomach.
    On my back the walls were so high I could not see anything but up and
    being a newbie to HF and all starry eye with my brand new limited edition black wbbb I just forgot about the bridge.
    4 years and 8 hammocks later it's time to try a bridge again.

Sorry about the pict I was a newbie at taking hammock picts as well.

Just don't be too quick to give up on that JRB bridge. It is quite different, and I sent my 1st one back for a refund. Obviously I changed my mind quite a bit. It is a learning curve in a way, just so different. Although, you already tried one and know you love some things about it. And on the original ( not as much on your UL) those high walls that block the view are what allows me to lean back when on my side and get so much support, very comfortable. Much like my experience with the WBRR, I was not sure at first that I was as comfy in the UL as I was in my original. Once again, especially on my side. But later it seemed to be coming together, and I am much more comfy in it these days.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    I've never been in a JRB bridge so I can't compare, but I like being on my side in the WBRR. I can't stand having my downside arm under me...it has to be under my head and fairly straight. I now have some shoulder problems that make this uncomfortable in bed, but was pleased to find that the gentle slope of the WBRR from my shoulder to the corner is perfect for my arm and makes being on my side comfortable again.

Without the net, I have no problem laying my knee over the edge when I want to bring it up to stretch my back for a while. At 5'-8", I can easily move close to one edge and bring my knees up close to fetal. With the WBRR, you have to learn that you can lay very close to the edges and it's not going to drop you on the ground.
    My confidence in that is steadily increasing. But at 1st, without the sides of the JRB to "catch" me, it felt like I would for sure go over the side!

Quote Originally Posted by g2outdoors View Post
    I have the WBRR and I find it extremely comfortable. I can sleep in basically any position I like. I'm a small guy at 5'7" and 155lbs so that probably helps. I even discovered a new side/back hybrid position. I have my head and shoulders in between a flat and side sleeping position in the top left corner of the hammock with my knees in a semi-fetal position. There's something about the way the hammock cradles me in that position that knocks me right out.

I've also found the tighter/flatter I pitch the hammock, the more comfortable it is. This can make it a bit more tippy, but I always seem to manage.
    That hybrid side position has been one of my favorites in the JRBs.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast