WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    20* Wooki; 20* UGQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by KenDen View Post
    Get the best you can afford. The 850 treated down is a big deal. Fill Power is the same for either duck or goose. The 10d material is probably the lightest woven material available, I find it interesting that is being used with 750 FP down.
    The quilt should last for many years. I would want it with 10d and 850 treaded down.....But that is me
    The TQ with 750 fill power is a brand new offering from a cottage quilt company. I was leaning toward this quilt but did not know if I should pay the extra for the treated 850 fill power.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow; pads, Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch's Cinch Bugs
    Whether the down comes from ducks or geese may be least important factor here. The difference in fill power seems like the middle concern (favoring the goose down, in your example). But the difference between treated and not treated down may be the most important thing here -- at least if you're hanging out in areas that are rainy or humid.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    20* Wooki; 20* UGQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by ChacMool View Post
    Whether the down comes from ducks or geese may be least important factor here. The difference in fill power seems like the middle concern (favoring the goose down, in your example). But the difference between treated and not treated down may be the most important thing here -- at least if you're hanging out in areas that are rainy or humid.
    Thanks for all the feedback. I was probably going with the cheaper TQ but I think you all have convinced me to just pay the difference and go with the treated 850 down.

Hammock
    DH NightHawk and Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie and Python
    Good video link Mississippi. Glad your going Goose!! Post a picture for us and show us what you finally get. 👍

Do9esn't mystery company #1 also offer the choice of 850fp goose down, also waterproof treated?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    20* Wooki; 20* UGQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by old4hats View Post
    Do9esn't mystery company #1 also offer the choice of 850fp goose down, also waterproof treated?
    Yes they do. It is just a good bit more money than the quilt at mystery company # 2.

Hammock
    HH
    Insulation
    down
    Hope this is not a hijack...
    How does one determine the value of a 2 ounce overfill and the impact on temperature rating?

When making our own underquilts how do we determine how much down to put in each tube?
    I have a couple king sized down quilts worth of 550 down. What is the downside/upside of over stuffing my Phonex 20 that I just bought?

THanks.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    WLtdpl,diySnowFort
    Insulation
    HG Inc10,DIY TQ 0?
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SSGHawk View Post
    Hope this is not a hijack...
    How does one determine the value of a 2 ounce overfill and the impact on temperature rating?

When making our own underquilts how do we determine how much down to put in each tube?
    I have a couple king sized down quilts worth of 550 down. What is the downside/upside of over stuffing my Phonex 20 that I just bought?

THanks.
    I what you're after is a 10 degree quilt, I believe HG will make you one for the same $ as the 20 with 2oz. overstuff. You'd get the same 2 more oz. of down and they increase the baffle height a half inch or so to let the down expand. That's what they did with my incubator and I'm very happy with it.

For your own stuff you should be able to figure out the volume in cubic inches by taking the LxWxH and divide it by the fill power of the down to determine how many ounces to use.
    Last edited by dingbat; 04-14-2014 at 20:25.

Hammock
    HH
    Insulation
    down
    Thank you Dingbat,
    Since my prior post, I purchased from eBay and received a used 20 degree UQ from a well spoken of manufacturer
    Your info was helpful and of course generated new questions.
    I have about 50 sleeping bags collected over many, many years so I understand how to clean and care for down bags. I discussed this with the seller and he understood those things also and said he followed all of the rules.
    After about a week, the bag has not fluffed up like I would expect. No clumps or anything but some tubes seem like they were never completely filled. I am going to wash it like I have done tons of times over the years.
    But assuming I do wash it and it does not fill back up and I wanted to add more filling, how do you determine by feel when you have added enough?
    Thanks for your assistance.

As far as MissisipVol, I sure would go with the water-protected down, it might just save your life one night.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by SSGHawk View Post
    After about a week, the bag has not fluffed up like I would expect. No clumps or anything but some tubes seem like they were never completely filled.
    This issue came up in a thread a few (1?2?) months ago. (I tried to find it... perhaps you will have more luck with a Google search with site:hammockforums.net in the search string. )

Apparently (it's unbelievable to me, but ...... ) most quilts don't have 'independent' baffle tubes, so the down is able to 'migrate' out of some of the tubes. The baffled tubes are not stitched shut at the ends of the quilt, according to a number of posters.

Coupled with the IMO very underfilled baffles in many quilts ('It's magic- we can use half the down that FeatheredFriends or WesternMountaineering use per sq foot in a sleeping bag and get the same temperature rating!' ) and thin/cold spots are likely.

Only the loft will tell you if you have enough down, I guess. I'd prefer a 'real-life' loft test - I think most of the loft numbers are measured on a down item straight from a warm clothes dryer, or from hanging in a dry closet.
    Give the item a good spritz with a water sprayer to simulate condensation from a foggy night, and then pack it up in a compression sac for 8 hours. Pull the item out , give it a few shakes and then measure the loft!!

In a previous thread, one recommendation was to give the item a few days to loft up!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12