Images

An Appropriate way to start the New Year

Or maybe you can call it New Year new cuben; either way I felt compelled to start the new year in a finer form than last year.

What a difference a year makes. I started here on HF back in January of 2013. At that point I had a couple hammocks, no cold gear, no experience and a great deal of enthusiasm. I wasn't even able to do my first legit backyard hang until I think March or something and that was a fluke bit of weather letting me get out with a pad and sleeping bag.

Since then I've acquired more hammocks, UQ, TQ, learned and done a ton of DIY from continuous loops to woopies to my own hammock and am still working on caddies, sack packs and now a pillow design. Bought a small fortune of stoves, gear and Dutch bling and have been out in the woods more in one year than the last two decades combined. That may seem sad to some but to me it has been a revelation, a renewal, a rebirth if you will.

So when New Year's rolled around it seemed only right to start 2014 with a hang in the yard. It wasn't possible to get out to the real woods due to scheduling issues at the house but overnight in the yard was good enough.

I took New Year's Eve day to set the lines on my new HG Cuben Fiber Tarp. I went back with my CRL with the dutch hook and tarp flyz but this time I went with DIY continuous loops of zingit and niteize line for the tieouts.

It didn't get record setting cold like for Shug or Callofthewild (almost embarrasing to post mine but I can't afford busfare much less airfare to get to MN to experience that bit of madness) and I didn't even set a personal best (but should have a shot at that this weekend) but I was in the hammock, New Year's Eve to New Year's morning, warm, comfortable and happy, happy, happy.

The Temp: a meesly 37° but hoping to be closer to 27° this Friday night.

The new Cuben - You can just see my HH with UQ/TQ combo through the gossemer goodness of the cuben fiber.

All in all a more than appropriate way to bring in 2014 to me. Warm and happy hanging loose in 2014.

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Guide Gear -Modded
    Insulation
    Onewind Top/Underq
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDaddy View Post
    It didn't get record setting cold like for Shug or Callofthewild (almost embarrasing to post mine but I can't afford busfare much less airfare to get to MN to experience that bit of madness) and I didn't even set a personal best (but should have a shot at that this weekend) but I was in the hammock, New Year's Eve to New Year's morning, warm, comfortable and happy, happy, happy.
    And that is all that matters. Thanks for sharing your New Years festivities.
    - We're never going to survive this!!
    - Nonsense. You only say that because no one ever has.

Hammock
    Den Mother DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/Noah's 12
    Insulation
    leighlo UQ-DIY TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    The outdoors are begging me to come out and play. Soon, I tell them. Good on ya for starting the year off well!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Whoooooo Buddy)))))) Way to hang-in the New Year.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Whoooooo Buddy)))))) Way to hang-in the New Year.
    Shug
    Thanks Shug. I'll be out tonight with a little more legit 25° expected low. That will certainly be a personal best and a respectable below freezing temp in most anyone's book.

I have to admit - that -40+ you pulled the other weekend was mind boggling to me. Boy howdy, THAT is cold. Glad you had a good time none the less.

• + New Posts