DIY 12' 1.6 Argon
    Tarp
    DIY 1.1 Sil Hex
    Insulation
    WB 3 Season Yeti
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles/Stra

TN>Gatlinburg>February 14

Turns out I'm going to be in Gatlinburg 2/14, 15, 16. I have commitments for Saturday night, and I'm driving home on Sunday. It's kind of a lark, but I thought I might come down Thursday night (2/13). That would give me the chance to hike all day Friday, camp that night and do a bit more hiking on Saturday.

I've been to Gatlinburg several times, but not done any serious hiking there. Checking historical weather information it seems likely to be in the low 20*s at night with chances for lower (and of course, snow).

Is it foolish of me to try and squeeze in an overnighter? Are the weather conditions too unpredictable? Are any of you interested in joining me?

Hammock
    Underquilts.com doublenest
    Tarp
    12x10 DIY w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Woopie/Tree Strap
    Weather conditions will for sure be sketchy and you won't really know if it's something you are into until MAYBE the day before.

Would join you but will have past that point on the AT before then assuming I don't get snowed out. Otherwise be on the lookout!
    The syntactical nature of reality, the real secret of magic, is that the world is made of words. And if you know the words that the world is made of, you can make of it whatever you wish.
    – Terence McKenna

Nick's Hi-Tech Pressure Washing

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    I'm off,,,,, Let me see what the boss has in mind.

IF you want a close site with a nice site to camp, I got a few in mind. Call or PM & we'll chat about it.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 Argon
    Tarp
    DIY 1.1 Sil Hex
    Insulation
    WB 3 Season Yeti
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles/Stra
    I've confirmed I'll be able to hike on 2/14 and 2/15. I'll have someone there to drop me off and pick me up, so the route doesn't need to be a loop.

So I'll be looking for someone to hike with me or I guess doing it solo. I think going solo might be a bit dangerous at that time of year given my experience level; but maybe not. I have a fairly good winter kit that I'm confident of down to about 20* and maybe a tad lower.

Anyone interested?

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 Argon
    Tarp
    DIY 1.1 Sil Hex
    Insulation
    WB 3 Season Yeti
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles/Stra
    After looking at maps tonight, I think I have a plan. I'll be dropped off at "The Loop" and hike to Chimney Top. It's not shown on the GSNP tail map, but the USGS topos show a connector trail from near the ridge of Chimney Tops to the Sugarland Mountain Trail. I'd take that and connect to the Rough Creek Trail and camp at site #24, the Rough Creek camp site. I think that's about 6 miles. Second day I hike up the Little River Trail to Elkmont where I'm picked up. Total trip is just under 11 miles.

Does anyone have experience with these trails?

Here's a topo map with shaded elevations showing the route:

Here's a zoom in of the GSNP trail map of same area:

Images
    My first thought is the elevation, snow and ice in mid Feb. And the connector trail is not on the GSMNP map because it is not a maintained trail. Tried to find it two years, wasn't worth the bushwhack effort.

Try trails at lower elevation, the "little brown book" is invaluable.
    http://www.amazon.com/Smokies-Mounta.../dp/0937207152

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 Argon
    Tarp
    DIY 1.1 Sil Hex
    Insulation
    WB 3 Season Yeti
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles/Stra
    Quote Originally Posted by Roche View Post
    My first thought is the elevation, snow and ice in mid Feb.
    Is there a rule of thumb for what elevations I should stay?

And the connector trail is not on the GSMNP map because it is not a maintained trail. Tried to find it two years, wasn't worth the bushwhack effort.

That's great information, thanks!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roche View Post
    My first thought is the elevation, snow and ice in mid Feb. And the connector trail is not on the GSMNP map because it is not a maintained trail. Tried to find it two years, wasn't worth the bushwhack effort.

Try trails at lower elevation, the "little brown book" is invaluable.
    http://www.amazon.com/Smokies-Mounta.../dp/0937207152
    PLUS ONE ON THIS!
    My search was 15 years ago & all I saw was a lot of cliffs & Rhododendrons! Granted, I had no plans to hike that spur trail, but still even if there is one & the weather is nice, I see that trail as being very dicey!
    I suggest, IF you want to do that hike, just go up NFG road to the trailhead of Sugarland trail & go from there. My memory has a nice parking lot there, OR park at NFG & hike the AT SOBO to the Sugarland trail. It's a nice warmup hike, whereas the Chimney Tops trail climbs pretty steeply as soon as you cross the big stream.
    IF you do the AT, park at the NFG parking lot & CAREFULLY cross the road to begin your hike.
    Either way, be safe!
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Images
    Here's an idea - base camp at either Cades Cove or Smokemont campground and day hike. You'll have flexibility against the weather, more trails to choose from, a smaller pack to carry, better cooking/food options for breakfast and dinner. This time of the year you should be able to find a campsite with the proper trees.

FYI - keep in mind a few roads are closed during the winter, Clingmans Dome Rd comes to mind. Just check the GSMNP website for info http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/temproadclose.htm
    Last edited by Roche; 01-14-2014 at 09:06.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE/WL/DiY
    Suspension
    straps and stuff
    The last time I was on that connector was in the '70s and it wasn't all that obvious or easy to traverse even then. There also used to be a trail that came off the front of the Chimneys but it was too rocky and steep to maintain. It takes very little time for trails in the GSMNP to get overgrown when they stop maintaining them.
    True, weather in the GSMNP at that time of year could feel like spring or the arctic; know that the temperature drops with elevation increase.
    The Sugarland Mountain Trailhead would be closed at that time of year; it's off of Clingman's Dome Road.
    You might try a loop out of Elkmont--up Little River Trail to CS 24, then up Rough Creek to Sugarland Mtn, then down Sugarland Mtn to Huskey Gap Trail, and then back down Cucumber Gap back to Elkmont. It would be a little better than 15 miles for two days with the first one the shorter. It would be some nice creek walking, ridge walking.
    Les Rust
    "My goal is to live long enough to become a character."

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast