Hammock
    Snipe/Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ / HG UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch and Whoopies

Should I be concered about going all in?

I was super gunho to just get the stuff I want.
    Eager to get out of puddle sleeping for the most part.
    Not the best of the best but not super cheap.
    I'm not made of money but I know what I like.
    Ive had a lot of great advise so far but many people have said to go really cheap as possible first in case It wasn't for me.

Other than calf ridge pressure what are the things that I should be worried with?
    Last edited by ADKrella; 12-31-2013 at 17:01.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by adkrella View Post
    I was supper gunho to just get the stuff I want.
    Eager to get out of puddle sleeping for the most part.
    Not the best of the best but not super cheap.
    I'm not made of money but I know what I like.
    Ive had a lot of great advise so far but many people have said to go really cheap as possible first in case It wasn't for me.

Other than calf ridge pressure what are the things that I should be worried with?
    Actually falling asleep. Many love how comfortable hammocks feel but can't seen to sleep in them.

There is nothing wrong going all in and getting the best you can afford but you should try sleeping in a hammock.
    Maybe in your basement or house where you don't need quilts(were the real money is spent) just a blanket.

If you can sleep indoors then don't waste your money on the cheap stuff. You will just be replacing it spending even more $$$

hth
    Last edited by OutandBack; 12-31-2013 at 15:56.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB Cat
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Stock HH
    Calf pressure is mitigated with an under-the-knee-pillow.

I think the biggest thing to get used to for me was not having the 'home-base' of a tent to hang out in as a bug refuge. Wisconsin summers are full of bugs, so the tent was a place to escape to at night and play cribbage and enjoy a drink. When you're hammocking, it's a bit more of a personal experience. You hang out in your hammock alone, and you can't really play cards before bed. Other than that hammock life is leaps and bounds better than being a ground-dweller. I would go all in - but make sure to do lots and lots of research. Read the forums. Buy it nice or buy it nice. See what other people are saying about the gear.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by adkrella View Post
    I skipped this part and purchased nearly the whole setup. Decided it wasn't for me and literally sold everything within minutes on this forum close to purchase price! So, that's an option.

Luckily, I gave it another shot and fell in love with my hammock and never looked back.

So looking back, I say go all out. Regarding the calf ridge, I struggled with it for a bit but realized it all went away as long as I was in my sleeping bag.

Hammock
    Snipe/Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ / HG UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch and Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    I skipped this part and purchased nearly the whole setup. Decided it wasn't for me and literally sold everything within minutes on this forum close to purchase price! So, that's an option.

Luckily, I gave it another shot and fell in love with my hammock and never looked back.

So looking back, I say go all out. Regarding the calf ridge, I struggled with it for a bit but realized it all went away as long as I was in my sleeping bag.
    What was the thing you did differently that made you come to like it more mark?

Hammock
    Snipe/Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ / HG UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch and Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by brogrammer View Post
    Calf pressure is mitigated with an under-the-knee-pillow.

I think the biggest thing to get used to for me was not having the 'home-base' of a tent to hang out in as a bug refuge. Wisconsin summers are full of bugs, so the tent was a place to escape to at night and play cribbage and enjoy a drink. When you're hammocking, it's a bit more of a personal experience. You hang out in your hammock alone, and you can't really play cards before bed. Other than that hammock life is leaps and bounds better than being a ground-dweller. I would go all in - but make sure to do lots and lots of research. Read the forums. Buy it nice or buy it nice. See what other people are saying about the gear.
    Definitely was thinking about the home base thing.
    Super buggy here as well.

Hammock
    Snipe/Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ / HG UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch and Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Actually falling asleep. Many love how comfortable hammocks feel but can't seen to sleep in them.

There is nothing wrong going all in and getting the best you can afford but you should try sleeping in a hammock.
    Maybe in your basement or house where you don't need quilts(were the real money is spent) just a blanket.

If you can sleep indoors then don't waste your money on the cheap stuff. You will just be replacing it spending even more $$$

hth
    Hadn't thought about not being about to sleep.
    They just seem so comfy.
    Having to buy twice is what I was worried about.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I agree with OutandBack, being able to sleep. I love the bridge hammock, and can nap and am very comfortable, but I can't sleep in them. I can however sleep very well in a gathered end hammock. You may want to go to a local hang to checkout some setups to see what suits you. However, as I mentioned the bridge was nice and comfy, but I couldn't sleep in it. Find a friend who is willing to lend you a hammock to sleep in.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images

Fiddle factor

Hammocks involve a certain amount of fiddle factor. Hangle, ridgeline length, tree height, distances, tarp choices, straps, slings, knots, devices, insulation....on and on. If you are not one for dealing with trial and error, adjusting your setup to find what works, hammocks my not be for you. Many people don't like to fiddle around. For them tents are pretty simple and setup is usually the same every time. Not always so with a hammock. The fiddle factor is something I enjoy. You may too. Just know yourself and see if tinkerng suits you.

S

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThundeBird
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    There are so many options and believe me it can become overwhelming deciding what you want and the gear needed. Took me 3-4 months of searching and decided to go with a Dream Hammock for my first hammock. You can find cheaper gear, but for me Id rather spend some extra cash getting something that is made by an American and by the hands of a person who is passionate about this lifestyle. Good luck

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast