ENO to Blackbird help

So for the last few years I've been using a DoubleNest and am now going to upgrade to a Blackbird. To be perfectly honest the ENO is fine but what the heck. I am on the fence about getting a regular or XLC. Either one will be the 1.1 double layer as I am 5'11 and 130 lbs. I like that the XLC has the removable netting, I've never needed one in the past. So I will probably keep it of most of the time. But I am worried about the extra length and weight. Any thoughts for someone that enjoys the simplicity of the DoubleNest?

Also I just got a Superfly for Christmas, this will be the tarp I use with the Blackbird. I will have time this weekend to mess around in the backyard with it. So I am open to any tips on that.

I searched this forum and watched a bunch of Youtube videos about both of these things and will keep reading older threads. But was just looking for new opinions. Thanks.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    I have 2 ENO DN. I also have both a 1.7 single layer and 1.1 double layer Blackbird. I loved my ENO but I will never take it to the woods again. The Blackbirds are simply superior with respect to comfort. The footbox provides just the proper amount of extra space to let the hammock relax around me rather than feel tight against my head and heels.

I have no experience with the XLC but, I am 100% satisfied with my originals. My concern with the XLC is that the design doesn't seem as robust. I have 2 boys who are rarely as gentle with my equipment as I'd prefer. I would be afraid the extra netting would suffer damage.

Hopefully other XLC owners can provide some feedback regarding how the Superfly fits the XLC.

Good Luck. I look forward to learning which you choose.
    Last edited by OCDave; 12-27-2013 at 22:48.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    If you've been comfortable with an ENO you'll have no problems with a regular Blackbird. I use mine year round and just tie back the netting in colder weather to avoid condensation build up. If it's not too cold like late Fall or early Spring the netting does add some warmth.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I agree with the others: the regular Blackbird should be fine for you.

With all the hype about 11 feet hammocks I also got a couple (not the XLC, though). I discovered that for my style of laying (rather more inline than diagonal), the Blackbird offers by far (!) the flattest and most comfy lay. It took me a while to find the best way of hanging it, though.

You should not only consider the additional weight of a longer hammock, but also that a longer hammock means less coverage with a standard tarp. That's one thing that I found out quickly. With my 10 foot Blackbird, I don't need to fuss about centering the tarp perfectly. I can also hang my tarp a lot higher, get nicer views and still have good coverage. One additional foot on the hammock does change this greatly.

After these experiences, I went back to my trusty short Blackbird as my primary hiking hammock. But I got the WB sock for colder weather. This should be even warmer than the XLC cover, since it covers the underquilt as well.

• + New Posts