Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Not the same -- nylon woven netting. It'll have very little insulation and wind blocking value.

If you want good prices on roles of this stuff, you have to go to agricultural vendors.

Here is 6' by 250' for $30 -- I think this is the same fabric weight as those plant bags:
    http://www.agriculturesolutions.com/...6-x-250-detail

They also have heavier weights. I think at least 1.5 oz would be what's needed to make it durable enough if you're putting the time in to sow it.

Translates to about $0.25 per yard (of 5' wide fabric) through that vendor.
    http://www.agriculturesolutions.com/...2-x-250-detail

Frogg Toggs are also made with a backing ply similar to this fabric -- so that's another place to go for a reference. Frogg Toggs do add that water resistant outer ply, so don't expect the same water resistance.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    A little heavier but much more durable, a two ply poly pro material is the Dri Ducks Poncho... vailable stock or as modified as a Weather Shield for use as a UQ or TQ cover.

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/dri...n-kit-applied/

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    Here is my Fronkey inspired sock made of driducks. Not as breathable as I hoped with the sil end pieces. I havent had it out below freezing yet though.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...4&postcount=15

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Silly question....with a drawstring on each end holding it on the hammock, how do you get in/out? Seems like it would take me some acrobatics or at least some significant contortions to get in, pull the bag over the outside of my hammock then cinch up the cord at the other end. What am I missing? Do I need a zipper in the middle or an opening like a fronkey bugnet?

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    You're pretty much right on. This style is only usable on a hammock without a bugnet and preferably not so long that you are unable to easily reach the end of the hammock.

While it is totally doable, especially with the smaller hammock I've found I prefer, my next sock will be made with a SEEP for easier entry & exit. I'm even thinking of making it a double layer to see if an extra dead air space would prevent frost from forming on the layer against the hammock itself, but tell no one, its a secret.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    Silly question....with a drawstring on each end holding it on the hammock, how do you get in/out? Seems like it would take me some acrobatics or at least some significant contortions to get in, pull the bag over the outside of my hammock then cinch up the cord at the other end. What am I missing? Do I need a zipper in the middle or an opening like a fronkey bugnet?
    The idea in my OP was to have the drawstrings in the middle of the hammock. One bag over the feet and one bag over the head cinching or tying together in the middle with a bit of overlap. With a loose ridgeline inside the sock, it would probably work alright.

If you're going to sew these things together, cinch one end to the footend of your hammock, then get into the hammock and slide into the sock like a sleeping bag. Bring it past your head and cinch the head end from the inside.

IMO, it's not worth sowing the frost bags because their material is so thin it will probably be a PITA to work with and fragile. I see these bags as mainly a solution for "I am broke and need to sleep in 10 degree nights, no sewing machine available" or "I just want to carry a light backup to add some warmth in an emergency." Despite being thin fabric, I have the feeling these bags will extend a sleeping system another 10-15 degrees or so. Combine with an emergency blanket and that's like 20-30 degrees of emergency buffer for just 4 or 5 oz.
    Last edited by curvedinfinity; 12-27-2013 at 14:40.

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    Totally subscribing to this.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    Subscribed. This is very intriguing. I hope someone tries this out and reports back Great research -way to think out of the box. I love stuff like this.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

I did buy a couple of these to test out. I put together a grounded shelter and sleep system that weighs 1 lb 5 oz. One of these bags is used as a bivvy of sorts in this system. It was hot in a 50 degree environment.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast