Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Hammock
    Mayan, WarbonnetRR XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperFly
    Suspension
    Whoopee! Hitchcock
    Quote Originally Posted by jellyfish View Post
    What holds up the center? Will you have a center pole? How will a hammock suspension fit inside?
    Not a real tarp, so I guess as drawn it would have a pole in the middle, and basic pyramid shape. I guess I need to make a real one.

Hammock
    Mayan, WarbonnetRR XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperFly
    Suspension
    Whoopee! Hitchcock
    I think this (these?) company(s) MSR and MEC has all this figured out.
    The rainfly in the middle MEC Hummingbird 2&3 and bottom MEC Tarn are interesting. What I think I'm understanding is:
    The middle rainfly has a slope stretched peak (like most hammock flys) so there's a very noticeable catenary arch along the bottom with the gap.
    The fly on the bottom MEC tent however has a ridge that is stretched over a pole and this must allow the bottom to be straight across.
    -- Also I think there is something with the line of fabric between the sidewalls and the bathtub that may follow a catenary which gives some depth against water on the bottom, but the arc of the curved seam gives some catenary to the sidewall.
    https://image.isu.pub/120118172114-6...pg/page_33.jpgpage_33.jpg

I guess as a noob with a sewing machine I'm a bit too quick to jump in over my head.
    This image is interesting in that it shows long established tentmakers sewing a lot of arcs beyond what is easy to grasp (the stretched fabric under the curved poles easy to understand, some of the other curves? maybe more than just aesthetics.).
    What the MSR Hum and the MEC Tarn might indicate is that if you can get a tight arc and stretch at the ridge it's easier to achieve a straight across bottom, if the ridge hangs then the bottom should have a catenary with the arc gap. And if you attach the side to the bottom (bathtub), sew the bottom to a catenary.
    In the MEC hummingbird 2 & 3 tent the rain fly is interesting in that the upper seam is one catenary, but the lower edge is two. I think the lighter panel is cut out the fabric at width, and the lower parts are to make the panel wider, but also include the curves for engineering reasons.

Hammock
    Mayan, WarbonnetRR XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperFly
    Suspension
    Whoopee! Hitchcock
    This is another interesting design.
    Sierra Designs MOUNTAIN GUIDE TARP https://sierradesigns.com/mountain-guide-tarp/
    It's got invert curved sides, 5 panels, one center pole, no bottom, a straight bottom edge, and gray snow flaps around the bottom There's a vent at the top to relieve pressure. The Bernoulli effect of fast moving air over the outside and stationary air on the inside can create low pressure on the outside. The vent is an equalizer. What this design seems to indicate is that negative curves may also allow for a straight bottom end. Nothing in the set-up instructions indicates the bottom edge is part of the structural wind bracing.
    I keep thinking of that cold breeze blowing under the arcs in hammock flys. Perhaps a rigorous tie down off the ridgeline of the fly could allow for flat wind blocking bottom edge?
    Hammock Wind Fly.pdf

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    I think a good thing to do is spend some nights in a hammock and then troubleshoot. I never really found that wind blowing under the side was a huge problem. It is all about how you pitch it.

Wind blowing through the ends is really annoying, so I like a winter tarp and I close the doors at one end.
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    diy, wb xlc
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    nacrawhoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WillUpnDown View Post
    This is another interesting design.
    Sierra Designs MOUNTAIN GUIDE TARP https://sierradesigns.com/mountain-guide-tarp/
    It's got invert curved sides, 5 panels, one center pole, no bottom, a straight bottom edge, and gray snow flaps around the bottom There's a vent at the top to relieve pressure. The Bernoulli effect of fast moving air over the outside and stationary air on the inside can create low pressure on the outside. The vent is an equalizer. What this design seems to indicate is that negative curves may also allow for a straight bottom end. Nothing in the set-up instructions indicates the bottom edge is part of the structural wind bracing.
    I keep thinking of that cold breeze blowing under the arcs in hammock flys. Perhaps a rigorous tie down off the ridgeline of the fly could allow for flat wind blocking bottom edge?
    Hammock Wind Fly.pdf
    The flys you mention are for ground structures, which a hammock is not, although I get the concept you're trying to explore. What you lose in the ability to protect from wind traveling beneath you (and your tarp) you more than make up for in your ability to increase your insulation, add an UQP, adjust your hang angle/height/location, etc. So, my hunch is this is a non-issue, unless you've pitched a taut winter cat-cut tarp in 40 mph winds and thought you could use some relief from the Bernoulli effect.

IMO there's no need for anchoring lines. You can always pitch the tarp as low to the ground as you want. Worrying about air moving under the cat cut is like trying to plug all of the gaps in a cabin wall. I personally like some air circulation under my tarp, but HYOH. If you want to be able to pitch low and have the tarp still be high, then use XL fabric.
    It is a very alert, active sheep, with a stylish, lively carriage.

Flickr
    YouTube
    I use a Juki & Pfaffs w/ assorted attachments, and have serviced lots of vintage machines. Any questions?

Hammock
    Hammock Gear Bug
    why do you need to do the cat cuts on a tarp?

Quote Originally Posted by macheek View Post
    why do you need to do the cat cuts on a tarp?
    it helps with the wind mainly, less vibration (ie less "flapping") as it keeps good tension on the edge of the tarp

I'm really terrible with mathematics and would love if someone could explain this to me as if I were a 2 year old. I am sewing tents and have the need for something like this in order to compensate for the extra material that I am ending up with by just sewing a straight seam. However, since I am using different materials for each tent, I find that some have more stretch than others. Right now I am eye-balling it after erecting the tent and seeing how much sag I have for each different fabric, so I am wondering how we can use an equation to solve the problem. Hope someone sees this and can explain how to input the different parts of the equation. I understand that one has to do with the length of the fabric...what are the other parts? Thanks in advance

Hammock
    MYOG Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps & Turtles
    Images
    I know I'm being picky, but is the OP's calculator for cat curves or parabolic curves?* Or is there no actual difference to matter in making hammocks? There is a technical difference that might affect building hammocks...specially endcaps where the measurements are more precise fitting the curve length to a sewn distance at the spreader. Am I being too pedantic?

That said, it's well nigh impossible to find a cat curve calculator that allows you to punch in the spreader length and the fabric width and find the progressive sag points into the center like OP's calc gives you. Any I can find require what would be spreader width and the depth/sag of the curve.

*A parabolic for the same width will sag less than the catenary.

[QUOTE=packman9000;2050946]... Am I being too pedantic?

.../QUOTE]

Probably...

(Pretty sure it's a cat curve.)

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast