Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks for posting this - I am going to try a cat cut hammock out of 1.6oz ripstop nylon!

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Just wanted to add a direct link to downloading the file. See attachments below.

Xtrekkers_Curve_Generator.xlsx

Hammock
    11 ft. DIY
    Tarp
    Gimme Doors!
    Insulation
    HG Incub8r 20
    Suspension
    hugger+WS,spike
    Images
    Thanks for posting the Curve Generator. It seems to work well with openoffice software.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    Just wanted to add a direct link to downloading the file. See attachments below.

Xtrekkers_Curve_Generator.xlsx
    Thanks. This solved my Google Docs problem. You may see a request for access to the Google doc.
    Rockdawg69
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    DIY Gathered end
    Tarp
    in progress
    Insulation
    in progress
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Thank you for posting this.It will be extremely helpful when I make my tarp.Also thanks for the great DIY videos on YouTube.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies, ASR
    Helpful tool that I will be using on my next tarp. Thanks for sharing this here.

I was thinking about this last night as I'm planning to make my first hammock setup real soon. A true catenary results from hanging a string from two points. Any thoughts on the effectiveness of temporarily mounting your fabric to the wall and hanging a string from point A to point B and tracing? Depth is a simple adjustment of the string length. Again, I'm still in the planning stage so I'm not sure how easy it would be. Another thought for quickly developing a parabola is to project a circular light source onto the fabric. The boundary between light and dark should be parabolic.

This is a little off topic, but can anyone direct me to a location for hammock plans with a complete material list? I've seen some really great tutorials and will likely try to put together a complete list from investigation. I'm trying to avoid multiple online orders and trips to the store. My end goal is a hammock with suspension and bug net, tarp, top quilt and under quilt.

Thanks!

To drape your material on the wall would require you to support the fabric in such a way that it was not sagging from any of the hanging points. your idea of using a shadow/ light is interesting- I am going to play around with that.
    Your last request is off topic but look in the forums, under camping hammocks or DIY, to any number of build threads on hammocks. A lot of different options. also all your questions can be more fully answered in the specific related forum. HLFL

Quote Originally Posted by fltlndr View Post
    I was thinking about this last night as I'm planning to make my first hammock setup real soon. A true catenary results from hanging a string from two points. Any thoughts on the effectiveness of temporarily mounting your fabric to the wall and hanging a string from point A to point B and tracing? Depth is a simple adjustment of the string length. Again, I'm still in the planning stage so I'm not sure how easy it would be. Another thought for quickly developing a parabola is to project a circular light source onto the fabric. The boundary between light and dark should be parabolic.

This is a little off topic, but can anyone direct me to a location for hammock plans with a complete material list? I've seen some really great tutorials and will likely try to put together a complete list from investigation. I'm trying to avoid multiple online orders and trips to the store. My end goal is a hammock with suspension and bug net, tarp, top quilt and under quilt.

Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    You're better off making a posterboard or cardboard template. That way you only need to use the string once, and its easy to trace as many times as you need to.

Hammock
    DIY Knotty Stretchside
    Tarp
    OES Standard, DIY
    Insulation
    Synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoppie Sling
    I recently wanted to make a tarp with catenary cut so I downloaded your spreadsheet to get the curve values. Before building I plotted the curve in a CAD program. I also compared it to a pure arc as drawn in CAD. Much to my surprise the straight arc and the catenary curve varied by only hundreths of an inch at the plot points. The reason the two are so closely matched is the relatively shallow cut used when making tarps. A much deeper cut would then have the catenary curve and arc significantly deviate.

I chose to use 5.75 inch cut over a length of 80 inches. I then used CAD to generate full sized templated that could be printed out and then taped together to get a full scale curve. I attached it to 1/4" plywood and cut a full size template that I used to make the tarp. You could also use cardboard. The cool thing about this template is that you can use any section of the template for the shorter cuts on the tarp.

I have attached multiple pdf files with different cut depths over different lengths. These can be printed on regular sized paper and then taped together to form a full sized template. One of these templates should work for almost any tarp. Hopefully this will save someone the trouble of createing their own.

You can view my final result in this post http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...47-My-DIY-Tarp
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by compman2; 11-11-2015 at 11:27.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast