Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by riverjoe View Post
    I think that this could be dangerous for the following reasons .
    Charcoal has the ability to produce CO same as any carbon based fuel does , but it may not produce nearly as much smoke as a smoldering log does . Your tent filling up with smoke will get your attention in a hurry . Your tent filling up with CO may just put you in the long sleep without ever getting your attention . Many stoves count on shutting off a flue damper to reduce draft . Myself I try to reduce primary air first and reduce the draw on the flue sparingly .
    I guess I've been burning wood for so long I forget about sharing info on this.
    The below info is my option for anyone interested, others may do it different.

1. My wood stove in my home has a lever on the bottom that controls the air intake which controls how hot the fire will get, no damper in the pipe.
    2. My small TI goat box stove only has a damper in the pipe to control the fire, But this fire only last for no more than 1.5 hours.. This fire is normally burned out before I'm asleep.
    3. I have a 4-dog-stove for a large Outfitter tent and it will burn most of the night before refilling. I control this by air intake. the only time I use the damper in the pipe is when I'm ready to shut it down before taking it apart.
    4. The new Kni-co stove, I'll do the same as #3.

I do prefer to burn down trees (Not rotten) in the same area I'm camping. I will bring some charcoal (Sometimes) if it has been raining to get it started and some coals going . If I'm there for one night, like doing a weekend hunting trip, I may bring wood from home if car camping.

Hammock
    DIY Insulated 3.5 season
    Insulation
    Boreal Beast UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and rings .
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeHouse View Post
    I guess I've been burning wood for so long I forget about sharing info on this.
    The below info is my option for anyone interested, others may do it different.

1. My wood stove in my home has a lever on the bottom that controls the air intake which controls how hot the fire will get, no damper in the pipe.
    2. My small TI goat box stove only has a damper in the pipe to control the fire, But this fire only last for no more than 1.5 hours.. This fire is normally burned out before I'm asleep.
    3. I have a 4-dog-stove for a large Outfitter tent and it will burn most of the night before refilling. I control this by air intake. the only time I use the damper in the pipe is when I'm ready to shut it down before taking it apart.
    4. The new Kni-co stove, I'll do the same as #3.

I do prefer to burn down trees (Not rotten) in the same area I'm camping. I will bring some charcoal (Sometimes) if it has been raining to get it started and some coals going . If I'm there for one night, like doing a weekend hunting trip, I may bring wood from home if car camping.
    Good info and guidlines .

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    It's also typical of good wood stoves. The tight one's control intake air as a way to burn slower. The advantage of charcoal is that it has already had the volatiles burnt off so creosote is not an issue. With no damper to block exhaust gases, slow air intake and the typical venting of a tarp it is unlikely there will be an interior gas buildup. If worried I would have a low vent at one end and a high vent at the other. A few square inches will do it.
    Last edited by nothermark; 12-21-2013 at 19:11.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    TW Green hornet 3 layer
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Webbing + rings
    Images
    I'm jealous! Very nice setup there. As others have mentionned, this would be a dream setup I'd like to have to brave the Canadian colds in the winter

Hammock
    DIY Insulated 3.5 season
    Insulation
    Boreal Beast UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and rings .
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    It's also typical of good wood stoves. The tight one's control intake air as a way to burn slower. The advantage of charcoal is that it has already had the volatiles burnt off so creosote is an issue. With no damper to block exhaust gases, slow air intake and the typical venting of a tarp it is unlikely there will be an interior gas buildup. If worried I would have a low vent at one end and a high vent at the other. A few square inches will do it.
    What you say sounds reasonable to me . My DIY stoves don't acheive air tight status thats for sure . Mostly I make them out of sheet stainless to keep them light and don't use door gaskets or anything . I do install primary air dampers on the intake and don't make the flue damper close off more then about 70% or so .I have made them big enough to last about 4 hours or so but IMHO its not worth the extra weight and size to acheive all night burn .

Id rather let it burn down before sleep time and have a tinder bundle and some squaw wood to toss in from the hammock or sleeping bag in the morning and let the tent warm up before I crawl out of the rack .

Hammock
    Dogger special
    Tarp
    HG CF 12' camo
    Insulation
    HG Buro & Incu 0+2
    Suspension
    Woopies
    Images
    Wow this is incredible! It is definitely in my future. Great price too.
    Life has no remote. Get up and change it yourself!

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    That is a thing of beauty.

S

Hammock
    Clark nx 250, WB xlc 1.7dbl,WB rr d
    Tarp
    OMW, vertex
    Insulation
    incubator0,phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopie,atlas,web
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel bait View Post
    Wow this is incredible! It is definitely in my future. Great price too.
    I could not find a price in any posts could you direct me to it?
    When I was a kid the only time we were in the house was to eat and sleep.

Hammock
    Dogger special
    Tarp
    HG CF 12' camo
    Insulation
    HG Buro & Incu 0+2
    Suspension
    Woopies
    Images
    Just send him a private message and he will let ya know. Right now he has a special going.
    Life has no remote. Get up and change it yourself!

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Tarp
    WB SF, WB Edge
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps + DutchGear
    Very, very cool.

I grew up in MI deer hunting from a Cabela's 12x17 Outfitters tent. We heated it with both a small wood stove and an 8,000 BTU Propane heater, depending on the year.
    We would drive to where we would be hunting, take the snowblower and blow the snow off the ground, spread out 3 bales of straw, erect the tent, and lay out indoor / outdoor carpet grass over the straw for the floor.
    Unroll our sleeping bags on one end, use a card table and chairs for eating, had our 'kitchen' in a 24" cube box with a camp stove... and life could not have been any better.
    Coming in from a days hunt to a warm tent was a great way to end the day.
    Your setup brings back lots of great memories with my Dad and me.
    Thanks for sharing.
    I've gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, make sure I stay here.

When I see lovers' names carved into a tree, I don't think it's cute. I think it's strange how so many people take knives on a date.

Formerly known as 'Brad49426'.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast