DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks

Whoopie vs UCR for low-weight bearing application

This could likely be posted in DIY as well - so mods feel free to move if it is better suited there. But since this question is directly about suspension:

I'm making a gear hammock, and I'm trying to figure out whether there are any real benefits to using whoopies over UCRs, or vice versa.

Since it's low weight, I'll be using 1.75mm Zing it. My intent is to use small continuous loops in the gear hammock end channels, and splice a Dutch Hook onto either whoopies or UCRs to be used like Whoopie Hooks, which will be larks headed to small tree straps.

I was leaning towards going with UCRs - simply because I've never gotten around to making any before, so it would be a new project to add to the resume. But I'm not sure if there's any real benefit to that, other than to try something new. Since it will be relatively low weight (empty pack, extra gear, etc.) or empty much of the time, is there going to be enough weight to keep the UCRs tensioned?

And if I do go with UCRs, how long do you think I need the buries to be, considering there's never going to be more than, say, 40 pounds applied to the suspension?

Any input from those that have experience using and making UCRs would be appreciated.

Images
    for just a gear hammock, I wouldn'tconcern myself with straps. If you wanted, you could make a ucr that's girth hitched to the hammock, then bring the lne around the tree and hook onto itself. If you have extra weight in it one day and your concerned, throw a few sticks under the line around the tree. That's how I do my gear hammock, but instead of using a ucr, I just have a length of line tied to the hammock with a prusik and s-biner on it. Wrap the line around the tree and clip the carabiner onto the line. Use the prusik to adjust. Mine mainly just has my spare clothing, stuff sacks, and some small things from my pack in it, never too much weight. I've forgone my tree straps even for my hammock, they were a pain, and a recent conversation about how wide straps should be, and several people ranting about tree safety, I got fed up and ditched them all together. Even in the soft pines I live in, 2 wraps around the tree with a few sticks underneath is all I need. Now I just have a long ucr with 2 whoopie hooks on itand I couldn't be happier with the setup. If your concernend about little weight holding on the ucr, If there's not enough weight to put much tension on the sling, then it probably won't be pulling loose.
    I think I have about a 11' constrictor to hold me up on my dynaglide, I'd guess about an 8" constrictor would be plenty for you, but you'll have to try it out. Make one, string it up, then push down on it, see what happens. I've made them from that tech line from diysupply, think they were about 7-8".

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    for just a gear hammock, I wouldn'tconcern myself with straps. If you wanted, you could make a ucr that's girth hitched to the hammock, then bring the lne around the tree and hook onto itself. If you have extra weight in it one day and your concerned, throw a few sticks under the line around the tree. That's how I do my gear hammock, but instead of using a ucr, I just have a length of line tied to the hammock with a prusik and s-biner on it. Wrap the line around the tree and clip the carabiner onto the line. Use the prusik to adjust. Mine mainly just has my spare clothing, stuff sacks, and some small things from my pack in it, never too much weight. I've forgone my tree straps even for my hammock, they were a pain, and a recent conversation about how wide straps should be, and several people ranting about tree safety, I got fed up and ditched them all together. Even in the soft pines I live in, 2 wraps around the tree with a few sticks underneath is all I need. Now I just have a long ucr with 2 whoopie hooks on itand I couldn't be happier with the setup. If your concernend about little weight holding on the ucr, If there's not enough weight to put much tension on the sling, then it probably won't be pulling loose.
    I think I have about a 11' constrictor to hold me up on my dynaglide, I'd guess about an 8" constrictor would be plenty for you, but you'll have to try it out. Make one, string it up, then push down on it, see what happens. I've made them from that tech line from diysupply, think they were about 7-8".
    Doesn't that method limit how short a distance you can hang it from? Or has that not been an issue for you?

Images
    It actually reduces the min distance to nothing. If you have a line attached to the hammock with a prusik on it, you wrap the line with the prusik around the tree and clip it back onto itself. That lets you pull it tight all of the way to the hammock if you wanted, which actually results in absolutley no min distance.
    Even with the single ucr w/o straps. You can wrap the ucr around the tree, All of the way around, to where the whoopie hook clips onto itself below the constrictor, then the other hook attatches to the hammock, again, resulting in No min distance, no bulky straps to connect to, losing more distance....

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    It actually reduces the min distance to nothing. If you have a line attached to the hammock with a prusik on it, you wrap the line with the prusik around the tree and clip it back onto itself. That lets you pull it tight all of the way to the hammock if you wanted, which actually results in absolutley no min distance.
    Even with the single ucr w/o straps. You can wrap the ucr around the tree, All of the way around, to where the whoopie hook clips onto itself below the constrictor, then the other hook attatches to the hammock, again, resulting in No min distance, no bulky straps to connect to, losing more distance....
    I think I'm misunderstanding.

So you have a small loop larks headed through your gearbox end, that you prussik onto a piece of line? And that line ends in a s biner, so you can wrap around the tree and hook it back to itself?

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    I would be willing to bet that 5" bury will be fine the gear hammock if using UCR's. I find ucr's easier to adjust than whoopies, I use them for a lot of things and a 5" bury has held anything I've thrown at it when made in zingit. When you make 'em just leave that piece a little long and don't back splice the long end until you're sure they'll hold, you can take them apart and make the bury longer if necessary.

Also if you find yourself up against the min. distance thing, you can lengthen the UCR and go... gear box, up around toggle, back to gear box. Make sense?
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by silentorpheus View Post
    I think I'm misunderstanding.

So you have a small loop larks headed through your gearbox end, that you prussik onto a piece of line? And that line ends in a s biner, so you can wrap around the tree and hook it back to itself?

ha, no. I have a piece of tech line, a fixed eye in one end, and a tail backsplice on the other. The line is girth itched to the gear hammock. Now, on that line, there is a prusik loop. On that prusik loop I have an s-biner clipped to it. Now take that s-biner/prusik and go around the tree. Clip the biner onto the line. Hold the prusik, and pull the tail end to tighten. It's incredibly basic and straight forward. It allows you to tighten it all of the way to the hammock.

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    My 7/64th ansteel ucr is a 10" bury....holds me up. So for a gear hammock 4 or should be lots.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    ha, no. I have a piece of tech line, a fixed eye in one end, and a tail backsplice on the other. The line is girth itched to the gear hammock. Now, on that line, there is a prusik loop. On that prusik loop I have an s-biner clipped to it. Now take that s-biner/prusik and go around the tree. Clip the biner onto the line. Hold the prusik, and pull the tail end to tighten. It's incredibly basic and straight forward. It allows you to tighten it all of the way to the hammock.
    OH! Duh.

I was thinking of the setup backwards.

That would totally work - I'd just splice the dutch hook into the prusik, instead of using the s-boner.

Though the way I suggested would work as well, putting the adjustment point at the hammock instead of at the tree.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by silentorpheus View Post
    OH! Duh.

I was thinking of the setup backwards.

That would totally work - I'd just splice the dutch hook into the prusik, instead of using the s-boner.

Though the way I suggested would work as well, putting the adjustment point at the hammock instead of at the tree.
    oh I gotcha, yes that would work the same as well, the only difference is where you want your extra line hanging from, the hammock or the tree. I'll use that leftover line hanging from the trunk to tie my empty pack to the tree...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast