Clark nx 250, WB xlc 1.7dbl,WB rr d
    Tarp
    OMW, vertex
    Insulation
    incubator0,phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopie,atlas,web
    Quote Originally Posted by barchetta View Post
    But I feel like one hammock would sink to the bottom if the other was unoccupied, or if one person was heavier than the other.
    I am a rookie when it comes to hanging I have learned everything from reading posts here and the ultimate hang and of coarse Shug's videos.
    When I was a kid the only time we were in the house was to eat and sleep.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch Side, WBBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti/flight jacket
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by barchetta View Post
    But I feel like one hammock would sink to the bottom if the other was unoccupied, or if one person was heavier than the other.
    Could you not just re-position your tree straps up or down slightly to compensate for the weight difference? If you're sitting lower raise your hammock up a tad.
    "Life is hard, it's harder when your stupid" John Wayne

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I have a Vertex and I do like it for being close and sharing the same space with my husband. I agree with RadicalHope that my individual hammock is more comfortable, because it is roomier. It depends on what you are willing to sacrifice to get that shared space. It is really nice to be in the same hammock and within the same bugnet or weather shield. You can carry on a conversation and feel much more together. You feel much more together in this hammock versus two hammocks side by side.

You do need at least three trees in a good placement to have a good hang, and this may be difficult in some areas. The east coast is normally good, but you may have to move away from your friends to find the best trees for this rig. Something to consider.

Now, whether it is worth the price for this hammock is up to you. I got mine secondhand, so it was worth it to me.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    Clark TX-250 with weathershield
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Tarp
    Insulation
    I love HammockGear
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    It depends on what you are willing to sacrifice to get that shared space.
    What she said. True story.

Everything is a trade off in one way or another when it comes to gear choices, it seems; the Vertex is no different. Like Cali said, I do really like sharing the same space with my hubby. Especially when the weather is bad/cold, we have found that hanging out in the Vertex together is very nice. It is just different than being side by side in separate hammocks. That is worth giving up a little bit of comfort for. The Vertex is not uncomfortable, it just isn't as comfortable as my 250.

My mine issue so far has been feeling a little like I'm sleeping in a bowl and/or like a banana. Tweaking the hang has helped some, but overall I just wish the darn thing was about 1/2 foot longer at least, so that I could lay a little flatter. I am only 5' 6", you would think I'd have plenty of space. Ironically, my husband (who is way taller/bigger than I am) loves it and is totally happy. I'm probably a little pickier about my comfort level though, I suppose.

As for the price, I did not pay full price. I purchased it on sale. I do think it is worth the price though. It is a substantial piece of equipment. If you add up the cost of two separate hammocks, complete with bugnets and weathershields, as well as a very large tarp, you would probably not be far off the Vertex price.

I will say, the weathershield is substantially thinner on the Vertex than compared to the 250s. I think they were trying to cut back on overall weight; there is a lot of weathershield area to cover in the Vertex due to its size.

Overall, so far I am not unhappy with our purchase. Testing and tweaking continues in my backyard. Low of 10* F forecast for tonight.
    With a radical sense of hope, I strive for the seemingly impossible.

Hammock
    Tablecloth w/ fronkey net
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    TUCKuilt, pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    I'm really interested in one because my wife showed some general interest in hammock camping for the first time when I showed her a pic of the vertex. I just wish it wasn't so expensive upfront.
    Last edited by Tuck; 12-10-2013 at 20:54.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear/KAQ
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug
    Thanks for all the help and great info everyone! Unfortunately I'm more on the fence now then I was before :-( hopefully if I put an ad in the want to buy section someone will let a used one go. Just so expensive!

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear/KAQ
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    I'm really interested in one because my wife showed some general interest in hammock camping for the first time when I showed he a pic of the vertex. I just wish it wasn't so expensive upfront.
    My wife's thoughts exactly.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by doc17th View Post
    I got that from this forum.
    Hey, Those hammocks look familiar they are hung from three trees with no spreader bars separating them.

S

I have one purchased during the sale I would be willing to offer you the same price I paid.
    It has never been out of the box. Wife won't go for hanging because of worries about vertigo.

Hammock
    ddjungle,clarkvertex
    Tarp
    ddxl,vertextarp
    Insulation
    diy
    Suspension
    whoopie,huggers
    I am new the the concept of hammock camping and looking at options to get the wife involved. Was curious, could a person get away with just two trees verses three for the vertex if a spacer/ bridge was put on the top section near the head of the vertex? The concept of of the double sleeper sounds like just the ticket for me and always looking to get past the limitations of the needing three trees.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast