ENO Doublenest, GT SBP, DIY
    Tarp
    ENO and GT
    Insulation
    ENO Ember/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Atlas, Whoppie

Do I need an UQ?

I am a scout master that lives in North Florida. I am really into hammock camping and my son is getting into it along with many of the boys. My biggest question is whether I really need an Underquilt. They are very pricey. I can only think of one or two times temperatures have gotten below 30 when camping and I am forseeing another time in January on a canoe trip.

There might be times in the future, but I have a hard time justiflying the expense to the bride. There are times I will get up to NC to hit the mountains in late March which could lead to a need. I have a basic thermorest pad, a big agnes inflatable, but I know there are slippage issues with that.

Any help would be great or anyone know of any major discounts on UQ coming up.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Most folks want some sort of under insulation anytime the temps are below 70. Some use pads, but as you noted they can slip and the detract from the comfort of the hammock.

Now is the time to be shopping most of us cottage shops are and have been running the holiday sales.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL Lefty
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    HG20*3/4UQ-EE30*TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Do you need an underquilt?

If you are asking me as someone just getting into hammock hanging, no you don't need one. . .but if you go camping often, you will probably want to get one. I did my first year using my thermarest inflatable (3/4") and found that to not be warm enough in all but the warmest nights. Later in the season I upgraded to a closed cell pad from Jack r Better and found that to be warmer, but when it was humid the condensation would build up and give me a chill in the morning. In both cases, I found using my sleeping bag zipped up was usually better than using it open as a quilt (see Shug's videos). However, neither the cold nor the chill were severe enough to drive me back to the ground.

I bought an underquilt from HammockGear last year during their Black Friday sale; it was like Dorothy stepping out of the sepia tone of Kansas and into the colorful world of aaaaahs. I'm finding the underquilt to be more important in keeping me warm than the topquilt or sleeping bag and there are none of the condensation problems. I would describe the improvement in comfort going from a pad to an underquilt is as significant as going from a tent to a hammock. Yes, they are that nice. No you don't need one, but you are going to want one.

Now if you are asking me as someone just getting into hammock hanging, and your fiancée is standing next to you. . .yes, you need an underquilt. Have her email me and I'll recommend one for her to get you as a wedding present.
    Last edited by walterharold; 11-30-2013 at 14:34.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL Lefty
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    HG20*3/4UQ-EE30*TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Oh yeah, people have been posting posting deals on this thread:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=83742

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    You can do fine without one. Just use a pad. UQ can be something to add in the future.

Hammock
    11' DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Sil
    Insulation
    Cat's Meow & IX UQ
    Suspension
    12'Poly Tree Strap
    You could check the DIY options too if you are wanting to save money. There are options from modifying a sleeping bag into and Underquilt to making one from scratch. Diygearsupply.com has instructions for an Insultex UQ that is light and warm. You should be able to get all the supplies you need for about $50 or less. If you are handy and want to tackle down, you can get down to 30 degrees pretty easy, for as little as $100, if you plan it right. And that is with some AWESOME materials. I just made an down UG for a friend. We put a whole pound of down in it and it has somewhere around 4" of loft in it. I should be good below 0. Total cost of supplies on that was around $150.

Personally I love making my own stuff. If that isn't something you enjoy, or find worth the work, then there are lots of great products well worth your money.

Hammock
    Wbbb, BMBH, Clark nx270, wbrr,
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammockgear UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    BB webbing, python
    Nothing beats a good uq made for a specific type of hammock. I just bought a uq From arrowhead made for the wbrr hammock. It fits perfectly and is so easy to attach and adjust. I've used a variety of pads but none are as comfy as the quilts. I also have quilts made by warbonnet and hammock gear and they are all superb. The vendors you find on this forum are top notch. Save up for a quilt. You won't be sorry.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL Lefty
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    HG20*3/4UQ-EE30*TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Adding to The Yellow Dart's DIY suggestion is using a poncho liner as an underquilt. . .

http://theultimatehang.com/2013/01/d...ew-and-no-sew/

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I'm currently asking myself if I need my third (and final ) UQ

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Yes, as Scoutmaster you have an obligation to be as well rested as possible. Mornings with a Scoutmaster who slept on a pad are considerably different than mornings with a Scoutmaster who has slept cradled in down. Your scouts deserve your best.

In addition, you will be driving Scout home from said campouts. It is your duty to assure your sleep comfort has been maximized. If nothing more than to reassure the parents of your scouts that you will do everything possible to drive alertly- you NEED an under quilt.

Certainly, your fiancee will have to agree that it is just irresponsible for you not to have an underquilt.

Good Luck
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast