Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    30* down bag

Best Hammock Options for wet, buggy places

Hey everyone,

I'm going to be buying my first hammock here pretty soon but I haven't quite settled on one yet. I'm specifically looking for a good hammock to use on my coming trip to South America where I will be doing some backpacking in Bolivia, Peru, Chile, and maybe a couple other places. I intend to spend a lot of time in the jungle so I need to be well prepared for areas that are very humid and get a lot of rain, and worse yet will probably have a ridiculous amount of bugs and other big nasties. That said I will also be spending some time in the Andes and some places will probably get cold at night so I'd really like something that is very versatile and durable enough to stand up to some heavy use in a variety of places. I've narrowed it down to the Warbonnet Black Bird, ENO Singlenest, and I'm also considering a Hennessy but not quite as seriously. I've watched a few videos and seen a lot of really good reviews of the Warbonnet on their website as well as this forum so I'm leaning pretty hard in that direction. I just wanted to get some more input from users here before I make my final decision. For those of you that have any of these, do you feel that they are suitable for my needs?
    Furthermore, as a newbie hammocker, is there anything I should know about for my applications? Any accessories that you all consider necessary besides a good tarp and suspension system?

Thanks,
    Matt

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I've heard people say that the bottom-entry Hennessy is about the most bug-proof for really buggy environments. I'm inclined to believe it.

Hammock
    Eno dn/BAIS
    Tarp
    real tree hunters
    Insulation
    peapod
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Why single nest? Just to save weight? I would really think double. You are going to be in the hammock a lot and space to stretch out will make your days better. I really like the eno bug net because you can sit or hang with your legs over the side(s) and still be in the net. Buy the best boots you can because they are the most important thing in the world. Have a great trip!
    Carpe noctem!!

Hammock
    Attempting a DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DiY Cat Cut
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The HH safari would be a great choice. Big enough to give you room and thick enough to keep the nasties from biting through the bottom. I would give it some serious thought.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    A double bottom hammock may be good for you. Instead of taking down under quilt you could slip a pad between the layers for bottom insulation. I don't think the Hennessy has that option.

I do have a Hennessy and have used it in south Louisiana many times during hot summer months. No bugs get through. Just ordered a black bird double and can't wait to try it.

I don't like the bottom entry Hennessy because I like to sit in mine like a chair and make coffee in the morning. Once inside its as comfortable as any.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Camo
    Suspension
    Biners/Pythons
    Images
    Have you considered the Clark jungle hammocks? Integrated bug netting and storm shield. Mosquito-proof body fabric (which I can personally vouch for). I have an NX-250 with their large vertex tarp (so glad I upgraded to it, and a great value IMO). They have lighter jungle-specific models, but I've had no issues with mine in hot humid weather, and the underpockets could provide insulation if temps drop in the Andes. I've been in the Brazilian Amazon twice, and am pining to get back there with my Clark. I'm confident it'd perform admirably there. Good luck and have a great trip. <green with envy> :-)
    Sine ira et studio.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    I've heard people say that the bottom-entry Hennessy is about the most bug-proof for really buggy environments. I'm inclined to believe it.
    If going HH, you might want to go double layer, like a Deep Jungle, better with the bugs. Also easier to use with a pad, and might come with the HH bubble pad which some say is hood to about 40 or so. And could be easily boosted with some CCF, even a torso sized piece. The of course come the HH Super Shelters or various UQs.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    30* down bag
    Quote Originally Posted by Pax Hammockus View Post
    Have you considered the Clark jungle hammocks? Integrated bug netting and storm shield. Mosquito-proof body fabric (which I can personally vouch for). I have an NX-250 with their large vertex tarp (so glad I upgraded to it, and a great value IMO). They have lighter jungle-specific models, but I've had no issues with mine in hot humid weather, and the underpockets could provide insulation if temps drop in the Andes. I've been in the Brazilian Amazon twice, and am pining to get back there with my Clark. I'm confident it'd perform admirably there. Good luck and have a great trip. <green with envy> :-)
    I just looked into those. They do look pretty nice. A little more money than I was hoping to spend but I don't like to go cheap on things like this that I'm gonna depend on a lot. The only thing I see that I'm not sure I like is the tent poles that are used to set up the hammock. To me it just looks like more bulk and one more thing I might break. Have you had issues with this?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL Lefty
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    HG20*3/4UQ-EE30*TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Besides the obvious need for a bug net, Insulation is going to be a concern. . .and the double layer hammocks are a good choice for slipping a pad into and also give you an extra layer of protection from exceptionally aggressive insects.

I've used both the bottom-entry Hennessy and the Blackbird and do prefer the side-zip. To get in and out in bug-infested situations, i leave the side tieouts connected and slip in or out of the hammock without too much exposure.

Depending how cold its going to get on you in the Andes, you may want to add an underquilt to your setup.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    30* down bag
    Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    A double bottom hammock may be good for you. Instead of taking down under quilt you could slip a pad between the layers for bottom insulation. I don't think the Hennessy has that option.

I do have a Hennessy and have used it in south Louisiana many times during hot summer months. No bugs get through. Just ordered a black bird double and can't wait to try it.

I don't like the bottom entry Hennessy because I like to sit in mine like a chair and make coffee in the morning. Once inside its as comfortable as any.
    Honestly the main reason I was leaning away from Hennessy is because of the bottom entry. I just kinda like the simplicity of a side-entry. One less thing to worry about. My intention with a hammock is to have something light, very easy to pack (since I'm gonna be carrying plenty of other things) and simple. Furthermore I like the idea of bug netting that can be unzipped or taken off. More versatility.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast