Tarp
    UGQ Custom 11' Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    SuperiorSuspension

Huggers vs. Straps in the Lands of the Large Trees

Hello Friends!

I know this is not a new question, and I have looked at different existing posts and watched Shug's videos on the subject, but I just don't have the right information to make a decision on what would work best for me. I am looking to go from cinch buckles and straps, to a much lighter Spider Web 1.5 and whoopies (might make some UCRs instead). I usually hang around the parts Central California and SoCal where the trees are very big.

I haven't really seen too much on people opinions on how tree size plays into this decision except for a post where someone mentioned that they just use a little extra from their whoopies to wrap around when a tree is bigger than their hugger usually would handle... but this seems like it might leave some scarring as well.

Anyone have any experience using Huggers with big trees? What about ease of setup -- which would you say it is faster and easier to setup straps or huggers after a really big day and your exhausted?

Thanks!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    From my understanding, the only difference between the two is a sewn loop on two ends of the straps instead of just one. Hugger=2 loops, one at each end. I think you may be asking because there are multiple ways of attaching your whoopie sling to the straps (e.g., Marlinspike hitch or larks head to the hugger end). If you're unsure which you want to use, I'd say go ahead and get the huggers because you can always use a marlinspike hitch somewhere along the middle of the webbing.
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    FlyingAvacado - remember, whatever you read was written at a point in time. As time moves forward, ideas/techniques change. I think huggers evolved to just the strap with a loop at one end.

I would use a whoopie sling as a connection from the hammock to the tree-side anchor, but not as the tree anchor itself. I would NOT run the Amsteel around the tree - even partially - in any public setting. Am I concerned about the tree? No. Our "Big Billy Goat Gruff" Ponderosas eat Amsteel for breakfast. But we are dealing with public perception and park officials whose policies come from people living in areas where trees are surrounded by concrete.

I think DutchWare sells a 2-inch hugger strap. That might be handy for any car camping kit to make a park official happy. Or a seat belt from an old car could be used. Note to seal cut ends with heat. If you have an outdoor store (like REI) around, they probably have a sealer they use when cutting cord and would do that for you.

As mentioned, the difference between a hugger and a strap is the hugger has a loop at each and comes in fixed, relatively short, lengths. The strap can be ordered for any length. They both go around a tree and they both can hold a Marlin Spike hitch for your Whoopie loop. When I experimented with Whoopies, I put a carabiner in the Marlin Spike because I didn't want to deal with toggle/loop issues.

I also made an extension strap by putting a 2-foot dogbone inside a length of tubular webbing. It would create more pressure on the tree than just the flat 1 - 1.5 inch webbing but less pressure than just the Amsteel itself - and it would look more benign to any park official evaluating the setup. It was supposed to weigh less than an extension completely out of webbing. That can be debated.

In the wild, that tubing/Amsteel combination was made to protect the back side of the tree, the webbing didn't have to go all the way around. But you are not dealing with reasonableness with park officials, you are dealing with perception and fixed policy.

Out on your own, in a real forest, the trees don't care. In the Pacific Northwest, you'd use a flat strap around the tree instead of just Amsteel because, as mentioned above, the sharp hard bark of those trees would cut right through AmSteel under tension. I'm guessing their cousins - your CA redwoods - would do the same. For thin-barked trees, you'd use webbing because it's the right thing to do (or put vertical sticks/twigs between the Amsteel and the tree).

With a strap or hugger, I don't run one end through the loop to cinch it to the tree. Too often I have to make a height adjustment on the tree and of course, there is always a branch, or sap, in the way so I can't just slide the anchor strap up or down. I'd have to completely reset that end. I use a Dutch Clip or carabiner, or these days an EVO Loop - something I can open and close - so I only have to open it, move the strap, and close it again.

To finally answer your question - I doubt you'd find a Hugger long enough for the PNW trees. A polyester (or other material - but not nylon, it stretches too much) strap with a loop on one end can be ordered at any length. Either hugger or strap can hold a Marlin Spike. Whoopies were too fussy for me. I'd use daisy chain or webbing and buckles.

Here's what happens when you try to set up with PNW trees, a 9-ft daisy chain, and a short GrandTrunk Nano Hammock:

BenhamHammock.jpg
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 04-11-2024 at 12:27.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts