Hammock
    Dream Hammock custom Sparrow
    Tarp
    15'x15' DD
    Insulation
    SLD Trailwinder UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles

First time using whoopie slings and I have questions.

Switches from straps and Beetle Buckles to whoopie slings with Dutch clips. Two questions.

When the hammock is hung and I want to do some adjustments, the weight of the hammock appears to make adjustments almost impossible. I watched dutch video, but it seems to operate differently when under tension (as opposed to flat on the table).
    I can't understand what the problem is.

Also, I'm used to having really long straps around tree and to beetle clips. With a tree hugger and a 5' whoopie sling, there's just not enough operating length. I had to dig out some old daisy chain straps to get enough length. Adding straps to whoopie sling and tree hugger seems to be defeating the purpose.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You may want some longer tree huggers depending on the trees in your region. I carry a 6' and an 8' strap. Like a toggle/marlinspike/ strap option. Just my preference.
    It is a bit harder to make adjustments with the hammock weighted but in time you'll figure it out.
    Shug

Last edited by Shug; 08-27-2023 at 13:39.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Still shopping
    Tarp
    Wreck-tangles
    Insulation
    Pine Needles
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The tensioned-whoopie-adjustment takes a few minutes of practice, but it's very doable. I gather the continuous loop of the hammock in the hand that will adjust the whoopie, and leave two fingers free to pull the whoopie. Pull up, let your hand take the weight of the hammock/quilt/book/dog, and then pinch the bottom (or top) of the splice to free the whoopie adjustment with your free hand, and then adjust.
    As far as needing longer reach, there are 'dogbones', just a length of amsteel with a spliced loop at both ends, or you could make a new tree hugger out of longer straps (water knot to make a second loop, if you've only got loops in one end of your strap.)

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    blackdoghang, It sounds like you are discovering why some of us tried Whoopie slings and went back to ... whatever. I have planned for a while to migrate back to webbing, but just this last weekend, the trees were too far apart and it was so easy to link two daisy chains without messing with some kind of buckle.

If you think adjusting those Whoopies is a pain when they have any kind of a load on them (i.e., the hammock is already set up), wait till you get to mess with them in freezing rain.

They do work, but it's all a compromise, a trade-off. For me, simplicity is worth a few ounces.

PS: in full disclosure, most my "camping" is done via kayak where weight don't make me no nevermind. But even on hikes, I carry straps. As you mentioned, I'll need some kind of "hugger" anyway. Just extend it longer for buckles or use daisy chain and a biner. At the tree end, I have EVO loops or Dutch Clips.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 08-27-2023 at 20:15.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts