ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Chinook & Kelty 12
    Insulation
    Kelty LTYR, JCP UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Cold and windy in Iowa

Well, everyone's talking about cold weather gear so over the weekend my buddy, a ground camper, and I decided to test the limits of our sleep setups.

The gear:

Kelty Noah's 12 tarp
    Kelty Lightyear 20° down mummy bag
    Military poncho liner
    ENO Doublenest
    ALPS Mountaineering foam pad
    Military Surplus Self-inflating pad.
    DIY JCP Puffer Underquilt

The clothes:

Military ECWCS Gen III Level 1 Polartec base layer (top and bottom)
    Gander Mountain Guide Series heavyweight fleece base layer (top and bottom)
    Wigwam merino wool socks
    Terramar Geo Fleece balaclava
    Knit skull cap

The story:

We went out to our favorite spot, along the Iowa river in the Hawkeye wildlife management area, around 9pm. The temp was about 25° and was supposed to dip into the teens over night, with a wind developing out of the north.

I hung my hammock so my head pointing west and my feet were pointing east. I closed off both ends of my tarp in "winter mode", paying more attention to sealing off my head end since there was a gentle breeze was out of the NW. From a previous outing I know my DIY underquilt and the ALPS pad can get me down to at least 25°F. The extra pad was a precaution and it was also nice to have under the ALPS pad, since that thing grips like crazy and doesn't budge at all when you are trying to get comfortable. I used the poncho liner as a sleeping bag liner making sure to get a little extra in the foot end.

My feet and lower back felt chilled when I first got settled in, I've experienced this before and don't know what the reason is. I also found out that my balaclava presses on my nose too much to sleep comfortably, plus it felt stuffy to breath with it on, so i left my nose sticking out. I woke up a couple hours later because my face was cold and I just pulled the sleeping bag up over my face, but the rest of me was very warm and comfy.

I woke up again a little before 5 am, not because I was cold, but that north wind had started up and was causing the "doors" to make an annoying flapping noise. I couldn't get back to sleep so I got up, froze my butt off, and battened down the hatches. Thankfully my bed was still warm and it didn't take long to fall back to sleep.

I woke up again at sunrise, this time the wind was much stronger and gusting. the tarp was catching the wind like a sail, pressing against the hammock, and rocking me. It was howling through the trees pretty good, I was just waiting for one of my tie-outs to give. I didn't want to get out of bed though because it sounded cold. The tarp tie-out points held, the braided mason line guy-lines held, and the MSR Groundhog stakes held. I finally got out of bed when I heard my buddy packing up. Both of us wanted to get out of the wind so we packed up and got the heck out of there.

I took a photo before breaking camp...

The overnight low on my temperature gauge was 14°F. There was a bit of frost to knock off on the inside of the tarp. My sleeping bag also felt a little heavier, I'm not sure if breathing into the sleeping bag is such a good idea.

I think I'm set for the cold, just need to tweak a few things... now I just have to figure out how to rig my Kelty for windy conditions.

Images
    Nice report thanks. Foam ear plugs work pretty good when the tarp starts flapping.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Chinook & Kelty 12
    Insulation
    Kelty LTYR, JCP UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Nice report thanks. Foam ear plugs work pretty good when the tarp starts flapping.
    That's a good idea. My sleeping bag has a pocket on the chest where I keep my phone, a good place for some ear plugs.

Hammock
    diy double layer
    Tarp
    diy winter tarp
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Hello from just down the road in coralville! I've been out in the hammock for years and have never seen another one! I usually go over to fox campground in the winter. Maybe a north liberty hang sometime?

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Chinook & Kelty 12
    Insulation
    Kelty LTYR, JCP UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Hello, I knew there were some Iowa hammockers around. I've never seen any hammocks in the wild either, but I'm normally out in public access. I didn't know they allowed them at the Fox campsite. I wouldn't mind a local hang, I missed out on Yellow River, hope to make next years. I'll probably be looking to get out again after hunting season.

Hammock
    Unknown model Hennessy
    Marion guy here,still assembling my gear, but would love to try a group thingy.

Hammock
    diy double layer
    Tarp
    diy winter tarp
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by ironmike View Post
    Marion guy here,still assembling my gear, but would love to try a group thingy.
    Hey there, Is there anywhere up in your neck of the woods to hang in the winter months? We only have 1 decent park that is open all year. It would be nice to have some options. Thanks!

• + New Posts