Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendertoe View Post
    The suspension is two separate "U" shaped pieces of shock cord that do not run through any channels.

You use the linelocs to adjust how taut or loose the quilt hangs against the hammock (this can require a bit of fiddling to "move the hammock up or down" like you mention as you have to tighten the head "U" and loosen the foot "U" to move the hammock towards the head end of the hammock and vise versa to move it towards the foot end).

The 4 channels are then strung with 4 pieces of shock cord with cordlocks that adjust how snugly the seal is at the head/foot/sides of the hammock.
    Is this the new way or old way? I see merits to both.
    That said, the single shockcord at the head using cordlocks sure looks small.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen_q View Post

See how the primary suspension just has a cordlock and does not continue up to the quilt hook like the secondary suspension is.
    Watching this thread with curiosity. I've never seen a HG quilt like this before!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Watching this thread with curiosity. I've never seen a HG quilt like this before!
    Me either.
    Why would you need such thick shockcord to snug up the sides and no way could that thin shockcord in the lineloc hold the weight of the UQ up against you.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendertoe View Post
    The 4 channels are then strung with 4 pieces of shock cord with cordlocks that adjust how snugly the seal is at the head/foot/sides of the hammock.
    I currently have 3 HG under quilts both full and partial length, plus one that I used to own but sold. The first was purchased 3 years ago, and the newest was 2 months ago. I've never seen what you describe, or what the OP posted a picture of, on any of them. I even sent my original 'Crowsnest' back to them to retrofit the new suspension, and they sent it back with what I showed pictures of, not what the OP showed.

To my knowledge their primary suspension style has always been shockcord through the long side channels. The addition of the new secondary suspension was to assist in the fine tuning of the tried and true primary suspension, not to replace it. Otherwise why have side channels?

I stand by my assessment that this was a fluke mistake, and not an intentional alteration

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

See how the primary suspension just has a cordlock and does not continue up to the quilt hook like the secondary suspension is.
    Pretty sure that is a mistake….
    I assure you HG will make it right. That is the main suspension and should have an s-biner and go to the end of the hammock.

hg inc copy.jpg
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    BIAS, WB
    I was just down taking a look at it, the current shock cord is definitely too short to be able to tie into the quilt hanger. So I'm going to have to get a longer one.

I emailed HG a while ago so I'll see what they say, thanks everyone for your input.

Edit:

Does anyone know specific length the shockcord for the primary suspension should be? Seems it should be around 15ft. or so but i'm not sure how to account for stretch in the shockcord. I have about 20 ft of some thick shockcord.
    Last edited by stephen_q; 11-25-2013 at 14:20.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    I was just down taking a look at it, the current shock cord is definitely too short to be able to tie into the quilt hanger. So I'm going to have to get a longer one.

I emailed HG a while ago so I'll see what they say, thanks everyone for your input.

Edit:

Does anyone know specific length the shockcord for the primary suspension should be? Seems it should be around 15ft. or so but i'm not sure how to account for stretch in the shockcord. I have about 20 ft of some thick shockcord.
    Without untying it, or doing anything fancy to get a true measurement, the cord on my incubator is somewhere between 12 and 14 feet (that's a rough guess). I'd shoot for 15 feet, and then tweak it from there.

I'd suggest you make the loop with your 20 feet, and use one of those many cord locks you have to shorten it without cutting. Once you figure out the length you want, you can measure and cut.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    It's interesting that folks are saying this is a mistake.

I sent my Incubator back a year or two ago for the "updated" suspension and draft collars.

It came back just as described previously in the thread - 2 "U" shaped pieces of shock cord run to Linelocs for the suspension and shock cord run through the channels and tied off with cordlocks to simply adjust how snugly the sides and head end snug up to the hammock.

So, there is only a single suspension which does not run through any channels just attaches to Linelocs and actually adjusts how close or far from the hammock the quilt actually hangs...

It's worked quite well on my WBRR as the location of the quilt never changes. I did, like I mentioned in a previous post, have some issue with having to fiddle with snugging the quilt up on gathered end hammocks as if you want to move the quilt towards the head end, you have to tighten the head end "U" on the quilt which moves the quilt towards the head end of the hammock and you have to loosen the foot end "U" or vise versa if you want to move it towards the foot end of the hammock.

Hammock
    Draumr or Sierra Madre
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    lots of down
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I took out the suspension and measured it-13.5 feet. I went from a 10 foot to an 11 foot hammock and my incubator hangs too tightly and pulls my hammock up about 2 feet. I am replacing the cord with 15 or 16 feet to alleviate the problem. My incubator has 1 continuous loop tied off at one end for the main suspension... And is 2 years old.
    Megan
    In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer. [Albert Camus]

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12