Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux w/2QZQ Mo, WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HH SS, HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Desending Ring
    You can always call the park info line and talk to a ranger. Most will answer your questions regarding the rules if any. Also, if there is an REI or outdoor store they rent tents rather cheap.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/Hennessy EXP
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood

Advice Wanted - Grand Canyons, Zion, Bryce Canyon

I have camped in most of the parks mentioned. With that size of group it might be difficult for everyone to hang in a convenient spot. Whenever I go with a big group I find it much easier to bring a tent or two. Usually I hang while others use tents.

Hammock
    DIY DL 11'
    Tarp
    DIY SilHex
    Insulation
    OWL UQ & Bag as TQ
    Suspension
    7/64th Whoopies
    An easy trail to hike is Buckskin Gulch. The road out there is rough, but there is a big huge gravel lot to park in, a wide and spacious trail alternating on the creekbed and sides. There are very few trees though. It get's pretty cold at night, I went in May last year and it got down to 25degrees at night. I had a 40degree bag/TQ and I wore every stitch of clothing and was pretty miserable, the wife and I got some cheap fleece blankets at Walmart and stitched up some bag liners and it made all the difference.

+1 on the ranger stations. But even further, talk to the BLM folks. The rangers are nice, don't get me wrong, but they are really hardcore 'don't mess anything up and stay off the lawn' sometimes. On the contrary, the BLM people are way more laid back, they actually walk the long trails VERY regularly. They will spend all the time in the world with you telling you the neat places to stop and the cool stuff to see, and they don't get all uppity.

Another thing, traditional campgrounds are super expensive there, but often worth every penny. What I mean is that you get full shower services, laundry services, gift shops and the whole shebang. After a week primitive camping, it is like being in a 5 star resort, and the $40 doesn't seem that expensive. There is a HUGE lake (can't remember the name) close to the Utah/AZ border, this is where Coyote Gulch is IIRC. I highly recommend walking through this below-grade canyon, even with a crappy cell phone camera you will get phenomenal pictures. Personally, I much rather walk through canyons than look at the big one from the side.

Have a good trip. I surely wish I were going this summer!

Hammock
    TrekLight Double /DIY HH/DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    GuideGear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    JCP DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling 7/64
    Hope your plans are wrapping up - if you go to those parks, make sure you buy the $80.00 National Park pass, so you dont spend more than you need on enterance fees, and have more opportunity to visit other places in the area (Arches, Cedar Breaks, Canyonlands, Bryce, Zions, Goblin Valley, etc) -- granted some of those are State Parks..

The campspots at the head of Zions National Park (Springdale enterance) are "cozy", but do have trees and near the Virgin River.

Best of luck and enjoy the scenery

Hammock
    Dream Hammock, WBBB 1.1 DL and DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly & Tadpole
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies and Strap
    I'm heading out on Friday....will be a great time.

Hammock
    WarBonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down, TQ and BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I JUST returned from a week at ZION and it worked out great! The Main car campground, Watchman had trees and I used them. When I did the overnight in the Narrows I went light and did NOT take my hammock, which I kick myself for since there WERE trees in there perfect for hanging. We also did an overnight in Lee's canyon to view the Kolob Arch and I hung there too. Overall, very hammock friendly considering it's desert!

-B
    "Personally, I don't think there's intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?" --Bob Monkhouse

I can still do anything I could when I was 21. It just takes longer and hurts more now.

Hammock
    wbbb 1.1
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Me and a few friends backpacked down the grand canyon last summer. Took the hermit trail all the way down to the Colorado river. It was the most miserable hike I have done yet. Only one stop for water along the way and it is 2 miles in. The elevation gain is pretty insane on the way back up, and there were no trees at the bottom of the canyon for hammocks. Definitely would not plan on using a hammock if you hike down. Staying at the top is pretty cool though. You will see tons of elk around and it's a pretty neat place to check out. Also, you can go to Sedona which is like 30 mins away from flagstaff and is super awesome. I will be going to Colorado in two weeks for this years trip!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12