Dream Hammock, WBBB 1.1 DL and DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly & Tadpole
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies and Strap

Advice Wanted - Grand Canyons, Zion, Bryce Canyon

This coming summer I'm planning on taking a family trip back west and visiting some of the National Parks. There are 7 of us in our family (me, the wife, and 5 kiddos). I'm searching for any information / personal experiences / advice from folks who might have hammock camped at:

Grand Canyon
    Zion National Park
    Bryce Canyon

Is hammock camping even an option at these places? Are certain campsites better than others?

Thanks.
    Bill

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    MambaJamba
    Insulation
    Down bag TQ, Yeti
    Suspension
    Strap
    My wife and I hit all the Utah national parks this past September but didn't hammock camp. All I can offer is, Zion's campground definitely has trees suitable for hanging but, we did not see one hammock anywhere. Don't know if that means it's not allowed, or we just didn't see any. Bryce Canyon campground is also in a wooded area but didn't get close enough to see any of the campers. The north rim of the Grand Canyon has primitive camping but again we didn't see any hammocks. We just drove down there for a one day trip from Zion.

Sorry, that's not much info to offer but it's all I got

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have no experience there. Im slooowly in the process of planning a bike tour though these areas. But i had a buddy that worked in Zion for a summer. Ill ask him, but from what ive talked to him about already it doesnt sound like hammocking is a very good option out there. If you brought those portable hammock stands, i forget the name i think its a UK company. But that would be a sure fire way to be able to hammock. I think they are around $100-$120 a piece. Hope this helps, ill ask my buddy and see what he knows.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner/ WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQflight/WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    You could buy a stand or just build one. I have seen several diffent DIY versions of stands listed on here...

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=Hammock+stand

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=Hammock+stand

These are just two i found fairly quickly. Before you spend a lot of money on a pre-made one you should look into making your own.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    For that size a group I'd say you need a tent/pop-up or travel trailer for a base station with hammocks and hammock stands along for use as practical. For Bryce I used the KOA, Zion was a nice wooded campground, and I was disappointed with Grand Canyon CG (too crowded).
    Summers are hot and crowded - May and Sept were good months.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillnGA View Post
    This coming summer I'm planning on taking a family trip back west and visiting some of the National Parks. There are 7 of us in our family (me, the wife, and 5 kiddos). I'm searching for any information / personal experiences / advice from folks who might have hammock camped at:

Grand Canyon
    Zion National Park
    Bryce Canyon

Is hammock camping even an option at these places? Are certain campsites better than others?

Thanks.
    Bill
    if you look around you will allways find trees( or other anchor)on a two week trip to canyonlands i never once slept on the ground.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly & Tadpole
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies and Strap
    Thanks for the input. I pulled up a bunch of photos online of campgrounds and they looked like they had some trees. Hopefully they would have enought for our fam.

I like the ideas about hammock stands. But due to the length of the trip (3-4 weeks), bringing several hammock stands just isn't feasible. Plus, between he wife and two teenage daughters, there is barely enough room in the family wagon for my small duffle/pack.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    My suggestion is to determine if you/the family are more impressed looking up or looking down Yeah I know makes no sense but here is the story.

I went to the Grand Canyon with family and was the most bored person in the world. I was not at all impressed standing on the rim looking down. Just another hole in the ground to me.

Our next stop was Zion. I am calmly driving along, I look up, and stop right in the middle of the road. I was so impressed by the size of the walls and view of them we spent hours there.

When we all got to talking about what we like and what we did not like everything I like was an upward view. I bet if we had went to the bottom of the Grand Canyon I would have been very impressed.

If you have time try to go see the Valley of Fire State Park in Nevada. It was one of the most beautiful places I have seen on earth. http://parks.nv.gov/parks/valley-of-fire-state-park/

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Zpacks 8x11
    Insulation
    E.E. RevelationX
    Don't pass up Arches and Canyonlands. If you're not going that far north, then don't miss Goblin Valley and Kodachrome.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly & Tadpole
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies and Strap
    I grew up in Western Colorado and spent some time around Moab and Arches. Love those places. Unfortunately, due to time, I don't think we'll be able to hit Arches this trip. So many places....so little time.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast