Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Is it right to charge a credit card a month before the product is even made? Why not wait, at the very least, until it is in production. I'm guessing most cottage vendors do this.

Hammock
    Dutch 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    Kelty
    Insulation
    PLUQ, PLTQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Oms View Post
    Is it right to charge a credit card a month before the product is even made? Why not wait, at the very least, until it is in production. I'm guessing most cottage vendors do this.
    Yes, it is. Custom items should be paid for up front. Too many people will change their minds after the product is in the works or finished if not paid for in advance.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Yes I understand that once it is in production the manufacturer is committed, but when they are back logged?

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    It is up to the vendor to set the terms and it is up to the customer to accept those terms. I think most on-line purchases are made up front, however it is rare that the wait is a month.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    I don't see them anymore, but there used to be ads on HF, and OES used to be one. If HF is advertising, OES should not be advertised, because it's an endorsement of trust and reliability. I would be upset if I purchased from a vendor that HF was showcasing and advertising, only to find out that there are known issues... Beyond that, I think it's up to the customer, and not to be unpopular, but I put some of the blame and reliability on the members here. Whenever options are being discussed and OES comes up, I hear about service issues. HOWEVER, time goes by, a nice email comes out, and applause is heard as people are ready for round 37 of pain. Finding out about OES's issues is not a hidden secret. If I am buying online I'm looking to see signs of reliability in product and vendor, so I look at reviews. I can't count the amount of times I've read, "OES makes a GREAT tarp, but service is the WORST," still waiting, no answer" "contacted the bank,"same old tricks," "welcome back, Brian. Thanks for sending this explanation of new directions , that's all I needed to hear to send more money to you, without proof of concept."...

I mean, from what it sounds like, OES is reliable. It just happens to be reliably bad service. I don't think it should be on HF to delete for bad service, unless someone isn't even operating like UQ.com.
    However, I do think something should be added to the forums that all SHOULD want to see, and that is a vendor (or maybe all) review sticky and/or just part of a profile. Just like eBay, I order, I review the member(s)/vendor, and there is a score with number of reviews. This gives an idea as to who I'm buying from.
    For almost ALL on here, reviews would be almost 100%, or very high with a lot of reviews bc they are a vendor.. but for a member who tries to sell things under false pretenses or a vendor who is constantly inconsistent, this lets people know before they throw the dough.
    Just a thought
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by octothorpesarus View Post
    Vendor subforums are for organizational purposes. The subforum will not be removed.
    My recommendation is to punt OES back into the "Other Vendor" area. There is now a small volume of threads on an annual basis, so the organizational piece is really for past volume of threads not current.

While I understand having a vendor broken out in the own subforum is not a seal of approval from HF, I've seen members on here provide links to the vendor page & with comments that here's a good list of cottage vendors that many on HF use.

You could argue that keeping them in their own subforum allows the buyer to read the past experiences and make up their own mind, but I think giving them visibility of having their own subforum is directing more members to them as a option.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pinballwizard View Post
    I mean, from what it sounds like, OES is reliable.
    Huh?
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Huh?
    Read the next sentence.

I mean, from what it sounds like, OES is reliable. It just happens to be reliably bad service.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345