Doublenest/RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Tewa UQ, Bag as TQ
    Suspension
    Web+Whoopie Sling

Hooray for some bad weather!

We finally have a little winter here in Texas and I can test out some of the gear I've accumulated for this winter's backpacking in the cold. (And before all you MN and UP hangers fill up the thread with mocking, 35F is cold in this part of Texas! Just let us suffer a little in peace.)

The Warbonnet Outdoors Edge tarp I received last week sets up well even in a gusty rain, is pretty forgiving of a rushed job, and covers my ENO DoubleNest easily even when set pretty high. I love it! And MountainGoat's sleeves make everyting a snap. I didn't even try the door kits yet, either.

I layed out for 3 hours with just a Te-Wa 3/4 light UQ supplemented with a JCP puffer vest laid on top, and was able to comfortably lay without a TQ with just my layers and a JCP puffer coat. I was really impressed with those cheap (I paid $18) puffer vest/jacket. Just two layers, the puffer, and a waterproof shell (my cycling rain jacket - no insulation) kept me very warm in a cold rain. They are surprisingly warm garments.

I plan on sleeping out tonight with the equipment/clothing I would use on an actual trip to see if I make it through the night. (Let's hear if for backyard testing and the ability to retreat to a warm bed when necessary!).

Glad I found the forum and was able to gear up in an educated way. Thanks, all!

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    I'm with you on this... Had an all night rain night before, very relaxing hearing the sound of it hitting the Edge...Slept great.....Tonight the wind gust are 25plus and it is goin down to the low teens not counting wind chill..Had the superfly up all day with the Hg quilts..Another fine night in the yard.....All for science!!!!-
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Hammock
    HH Explorer/BIAS Weight Weenie
    Tarp
    HH Asym/HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS/0* Incubator
    Suspension
    HH stock/UCRs
    Embrace & enjoy the chillin'! It's 32* here now & dropping to 15* or so tonight with a possible small snow event happening. The weather dude says a low of 10* possible tomorrow with 15-20 MPH winds gusting to 40-45 MPH! Since the HH Hex is with 2QZQ getting doors added right now, I'll be breaking out the big camo poly for the time being. Glad I'll be out in the back 40, just in case! Let's see how low this NOOB can go this winter!!!
    Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
    Chief Seattle

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tri-pod bob View Post
    Embrace & enjoy the chillin'! It's 32* here now & dropping to 15* or so tonight with a possible small snow event happening. The weather dude says a low of 10* possible tomorrow with 15-20 MPH winds gusting to 40-45 MPH! Since the HH Hex is with 2QZQ getting doors added right now, I'll be breaking out the big camo poly for the time being. Glad I'll be out in the back 40, just in case! Let's see how low this NOOB can go this winter!!!
    Same here, excited to see a possible 10 degrees with windchill.
    Running a 3/4 length underquilt, debating layering a full length.

Need to sew up an underquilt protecter or sock to really address the wind.

Even so, will be some excellent equipment testing tonight.

Hammock
    Clark TX-250 with weathershield
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Tarp
    Insulation
    I love HammockGear
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I'm excited about "bad" weather too. Everyone is grumbling about the cold weather and snowflakes this evening in SW Ohio, but not me. Forecast low for tonight is 20*F. I can't wait to test my winter gear in the backyard tonight. The coldest I've been so far is 28*F. I'm almost giddy for the colder weather and snow!

Enjoy your "bad" weather!
    With a radical sense of hope, I strive for the seemingly impossible.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Tarp
    Insulation
    I love HammockGear
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    The temp last night actually got down to 16* F. But I was toasty warm! Just had to share with some bad weather loving folks.

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird or WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly or HHx
    Insulation
    HG 0deg Inc/Bur
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Nice Radical. 15* is a great test for gear. Especially when mixed in with a moderate blustery wind.

Ambient tonight in Western Massachusetts is forecast for 14 with a wind advisory in effect until 1am. Winds to be 15-25 constant with gusts to 45mph. That puts the ol' wind chill to about 10 below zero give or take.

Might set up the WBBB and Superfly tonight, hang the UQ and stuff in the TQ and an extra goose down bag and test out the effectiveness.

Enjoy the cold. All the best !
    Gil
    Just Hanging Out !

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird or WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly or HHx
    Insulation
    HG 0deg Inc/Bur
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    WesBri,

I lived in Arlington for a number of years. 35 in Tx is COLD. I remember running from car to air conditioner in the summer because it was so hot. The body kind of conditions itself for that kind of weather, so when it drops to 30 or 35 it is darn cold. Get out there and bask in the glory of C O L D..........

All the best!
    Gil
    Just Hanging Out !

Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Tarp
    Insulation
    I love HammockGear
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SemperFiGuy View Post
    Nice Radical. 15* is a great test for gear. Especially when mixed in with a moderate blustery wind.

Ambient tonight in Western Massachusetts is forecast for 14 with a wind advisory in effect until 1am. Winds to be 15-25 constant with gusts to 45mph. That puts the ol' wind chill to about 10 below zero give or take.

Might set up the WBBB and Superfly tonight, hang the UQ and stuff in the TQ and an extra goose down bag and test out the effectiveness.

Enjoy the cold. All the best !
    Gil
    Yes, indeed, and it was plenty windy last night. I'd say winds were pretty consistently 15-20 mph with some higher gusts until about 4 AM. It rocked me to sleep! I actually woke up when the winds died down because it was so quiet.

Your forecast for tonight sounds like great test conditions! Enjoy!

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Wow whata night.

Down to 20 degrees with constant 20-25 mph winds, gusts up to 45 for about an hour or two. Low temp estimated at 8-9 degrees. Had a snow squall pass thru around midnight. GREAT testing weather.

At 6 am I took my New River that was being used as a topquilt and layered it over the Jarbidge as an underquilt. Made all the difference in the world.

The wind was just to much for the Jarbidge alone.

I really need an underquilt protector or sock. And I need it for next weekend.

I have some sewing to do this week and need to track down a zipper asap.

What a fantastic night!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast