Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Images

Question Diagonal Differential Decreasing Loft baffles

Heya folks

Still playing with UQ ideas here.

One thing I was thinking about, were Diagonal Differential Decreasing Loft (DDDL) baffles for an Underquilt

My basic premise is that UQs are straight-line affairs - but hangers want to lay diagonally across their hammocks. Add to this that the sides up against the hammock's sides won't add anything to the user's warmth (imho) - after all, there's nobody laying on all that downy goodness up there. So why have it (and lug it with you)?

If you folks will excuse my (abysmal) drawing skills, here's a sketch of the idea:

The baffles would be
    • more or less diagonal to the quilt.
    • There would be a few fully- (or over-) stuffed baffles in the areas that will always be under the hanger. To optimize even further, this area would be wider in the shoulder area than in the footbox area (I AM assuming that our shouldes are wider than our feet... )
    • The zones to the left and right of this would be filled with gradually less loft.
    • The area where the underquilt basically acts as a glorifies suspension system for itself would not have any fill.

Makes sense? Idotic? Has been tried and failed - or succeeded?

Let me know what you guys and gals think!

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    Interesting idea. Can't wait to hear how the prototype works out. May want some fill on the sides, heat retention is more important as it gets colder. May not need as much or the highest quality, but some insulation on the wings may be needed.
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC 1.1 double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Images
    Can't wait to hear how the prototype works out
    Yup - prototype is the next step. First I want to know what the experts out there think. If the general idea is that it would make sense then the prototype is not far off

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Olddog made a synthetic UQ a ways back that had the same idea. If memory serves, he had to go from a straight parallelogram to a rhomboid that was resembled a trapezoid, with the wider side towards the head end. It worked, though.

Expect to do a bit of prototyping before getting a usable quilt out of this. On the other hand, you will save weight with it...
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DIY RS custom
    Tarp
    DIY winter custom
    Insulation
    DIY UQ+TQ &/or bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie+Straps
    HA! This is a great idea. Personally, I'd make the angles a bit less extreme.

This is also limited to people who sleep with their head left-of-center. If you try to make it reversible (flip upside-down), the baffles will not loft correctly.

Still, I love the concept... might have to steal a bit of the idea for my next UQ project.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Definitely worth a try; go for it. I'm planning a down UQ with baffles in two directions (at right angles to each other, depending on where they are with respect to an asym axis (like yours). Think like contour plowing of farm land; lie in a hammock and look around. Try to make all the baffle lines horizontal so the down will be less likely to shift. I think your overstuff plan is a much more reasonable way to accomplish that.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC 1.1 double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by e_2 View Post
    HA! This is a great idea. Personally, I'd make the angles a bit less extreme.

This is also limited to people who sleep with their head left-of-center. If you try to make it reversible (flip upside-down), the baffles will not loft correctly.

Still, I love the concept... might have to steal a bit of the idea for my next UQ project.
    yes, it would only work with "head to the left, feet to the right". However, I'm using a WBBB XLC, so the way I lay in the hammock is already pre-defined by the hammock's construction (fixed foodbox to one side).

But for straight-up hammocks that would be a concern indeed. Hmmm...

• + New Posts