DIY FLYING BUTTREST Bridge or WBRR
    Tarp
    Leaves/Luck/DIY
    Insulation
    UnluckyGeese of HG
    Suspension
    Whoopiedyne Vines
    Images
    I can see where new customers would feel safer with paypal but as a seller, paypal is really annoying. They have poor customer service and questionable business practices for sure. It seems like to some, paypal is a necessary evil, but I avoid using them whenever I can. It is just so easy as a buyer to use them. That is a hard call.
    Trail information, photos, waterfalls and vistas on the DeSoto Scout Trail facebook page.
    https://www.facebook.com/desoto.trai.../photos_albums

Soon I'll lose these rags and run, Returning to the wild where I'm from. -Chris Whitley

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post
    Interesting comment, I have found when there is a problem my Credit Card Company is the easier to work with vs PayPal. <snip> My Credit Card settled quickly.

I have buyer protection that is as good as PayPal without the fee's, with my Credit Card.
    I think you have much better 'protection' from your credit card companies in the US than we do in Canada. (Same 'companies'/brand names, just reduced benefits where they can get away with it...SOP for corporate sector.)

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    I'll tell ya one thing:

Pay Pal is always right in front of me when I'm at the computer. My wallet is over in a tray on the table next to the front door. There are times I find that I suddenly don't want the item in my check out basket as much as I thought I did. Usually its when I'm warm and comfy sitting in my chair in front of the computer with a drink and a snack right next to it and I mentally calculate the distance between me and that wallet, the temperature inside the house, and whether I need to put my slippers on to walk across the floor.

Hammock
    Trail Lair || Brazilian
    Tarp
    CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    I use my PP account as my 'slush fund' for hobby-related purchases. As long as my purchases are paid with money I have 'earned' in my PP account, my wife is happy. Simple as that. In other words, PP is a means to fiscal discipline and marital harmony.

The second consideration is the related service "Bill Me Later." For larger purchases I may opt to use BML, and have six months to pay interest-free. I usually pay the balance in 4-5 months, and get a free ride.

I would still buy your goodies straight through a credit card, but it would be slightly less desirable.
    Last edited by Gravity; 11-23-2013 at 20:12.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    What I find interesting is the number of folks who trust PayPal. I know how to find Dutch and I know he likes his knees. I cannot say the same for PayPal. I can also say they keep sending me email to click some link to something. ;-)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    XLC Blackbird Multi-cam
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti multicam
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    What I find interesting is the number of folks who trust PayPal. I know how to find Dutch and I know he likes his knees. I cannot say the same for PayPal. I can also say they keep sending me email to click some link to something. ;-)
    I myself do not trust paypal its just a service that works. The bank account have connected to it has no more then 20 bucks in it.

Hammock
    BB 1.7DL w/dutch
    Tarp
    SUPERFLY
    Insulation
    HG TOP&amp;BOTTOM
    Suspension
    DUTCH &amp; WHOOPIES
    Dutch, being a paypal merchant for years and years, i have to say I HATE DOING BUSINESS WITH THEM!!!!. They are horrible and treat there merchants like SHXX!
    I have stopped and use credit cards more... I will buy from you regardless!!!

Hammock
    eno double nest
    Tarp
    JRB spinnaker
    Insulation
    JRB tq /uq
    Suspension
    ucr or ws
    For online purchases I use 'shop safe', a one time use cc# issued by my provider in order that my true acc# is never exposed to any one. I have used this system for several years without problem. Then one day pp decided that since I was using their service as 'guest' on pretty much a regular basis that I should open an account. ( I was completing an order at the time and pp would not allow me to pay untill I opened an account. ) I complied. A few days later I could not place an order so I called pp and was told that my 'shop safe' was not compable with their system. I could not fund my account! Then we did a three-way conference to include my cc provider to whome I had to provide my pers. info. while the pp rep listened in. No solution was found. After closing my new pp acc I immediately called my cc company and had that account closed and re-opened with a different acc# along with changing all my pers.info. I could do as mentioned and open a dedicated account for pp but I just don't like being forced into something I do not want. If pp accepts me as 'guest' I will use it otherwise I will find my stuff elsewhere. thank you for your attention, inertia

Hammock
    DD Traveler
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Air mat
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    What I find interesting is the number of folks who trust PayPal.
    PayPal is fine from the buyers side, use credit card with it and that gives you a second layer of protection, if Paypal won't deal with a fraud properly you can still pursue chargeback through the bank.

Where Paypal is bad is from the sellers side, they too often freeze accounts with money in them any excuse they get and are well known for acting less professionally than real banks.

For Dutchware, I think PayPal is a necessary evil for a web vendor, without it you will turn away a lot of business because people don't trust their CC details to minor sites who too often don't have the appropriate security and IT staff in place to keep customers card details safe.
    Any other payment gateway has fees and chargebacks and red tape too.

Perhaps you could offer choice in payment methods with a discount for using other methods but keep Paypal.

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaGuy View Post

I would be very reluctant to fill in a web order with Dutch (or most of the other vendors here at HF) if my credit card info was required. I much prefer PayPal as a buyer.

A lot of eBay and other online sellers don't like the Buyer Protection afforded by PayPal, and I keep that in mind when I see a seller that doesn't offer a PayPal option.
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    I'll tell ya one thing:

Pay Pal is always right in front of me when I'm at the computer. My wallet is over in a tray on the table next to the front door. There are times I find that I suddenly don't want the item in my check out basket as much as I thought I did. Usually its when I'm warm and comfy sitting in my chair in front of the computer with a drink and a snack right next to it and I mentally calculate the distance between me and that wallet, the temperature inside the house, and whether I need to put my slippers on to walk across the floor.

The buyer protection plan (esp with e-bay ) and those cozy slippers and drink and a snack

but, I have to add,
    Dutch, you have top notch service IMO.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast