Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stupid idea

Images
    Concept reminds me of a video that popped up on my homepage the other day...

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    I think your thread title speaks for itself
    Debi

Images
    Reminds me of the scene from Jeremiah Johnson covering coals with dirt then laying on that. "You didn't have enough dirt on your coals. Saw it right off."

Priceless.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    A bit off topic but the hot water bottle in the hammock jogged my old memory about a thought I had in the past. The northern hammock family would be better judges of the merits since we don't get that cold down here.

How many use the water in their hotwater bottle for their morning beverage and breakfast? Just seems that you would have a head start on heating your water even if it was only at 98.6F in the hammock with you over melting snow or water in a bottle buried in the snow. Read somewhere that that was one way to keep your water from freezing. Could be normal procedure for those hanging in the cold and snow. Just curious.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    HB Sky Tent 2
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equip
    Suspension
    BOM Micro Rope
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    A bit off topic but the hot water bottle in the hammock jogged my old memory about a thought I had in the past. The northern hammock family would be better judges of the merits since we don't get that cold down here.

How many use the water in their hotwater bottle for their morning beverage and breakfast? Just seems that you would have a head start on heating your water even if it was only at 98.6F in the hammock with you over melting snow or water in a bottle buried in the snow. Read somewhere that that was one way to keep your water from freezing. Could be normal procedure for those hanging in the cold and snow. Just curious.
    I know when I boil my water for cold nights I usually end up waking up one or two times to boil it again. I have never used it to drink from though. I usually have a separate drinking water bottle and sleep with it too it doesn't freeze.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    HB Sky Tent 2
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equip
    Suspension
    BOM Micro Rope
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDaddy View Post
    Reminds me of the scene from Jeremiah Johnson covering coals with dirt then laying on that. "You didn't have enough dirt on your coals. Saw it right off."

Priceless.

I was just thinking the same thing. That is a great movie and everyone should watch it, what a classic.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post

Yep. Done it on a couple of the colder hangs in memory (Saturday night at the 2nd Annual comes to mind). It's nice having water that's, y'know, not frozen to start my "coffee" with.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Hot water bottle thread Best info on this trick.

For long-term, no the bottle doesn't stay "hot". The water is warm if preserved in a good sock under your quilt. I've added tea to mine and it is "warm" in the a.m. It is reasonably warm and still helps fight off the morning chill. You will be able to re-heat using less fuel if desired.

A good LEAKproof bottle is necessary. I use a stainless steel bottle (single-wall *do not use the double walled bottles in the fire, they can explode*). Set it in the firepit (or over the stove) without the lid and warm the water (most lids are plastic/rubber and can melt). Or dump warmed water into your bottle of choice. Stick it in a wool or thermal sock to preserve the heat and prevent burning your skin. Then I toss the bottle into the quilts/hammock for ten minutes before going to bed. The quilts will be warmer!! Nice to crawl into a warm bed.

As the water cools overnight, the lid can become vacuumed on, so extra force will be needed to loosen the cap in the morn.

Use a glove or some sort of protection, as the hot water can burn your hand as you pour or handle the hot bottle. I learned the hard way...

I would avoid the steam bed trick. Or placing a fire under the hammock. Unless it was a total survival situation
    Good quilts and tarps will keep you warm in most situations.
    Last edited by gargoyle; 11-22-2013 at 16:31.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth struc. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Noahs Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by BackPackHiker View Post
    I have been thinking about space blankets lately. What do you think of putting hot coals on top of one and then laying them under the hammock to keep you warm in the night?

Possible downfalls-

1) could start a flame and BBQ you in the night

2) could step on them when exiting your hammock

4) could smoke you out

Just an idea, what do you think?
    A hot water bottle is a better idea.
    Time is but the stream I go afishing in. Henry David Thoreau

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    All that heat around all that meltable (and toxic fume generating) fabric sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Most BSA programs teach fire as "a false god" in terms of heating yourself and encourage more layers to keep warm. It sounds like more UQ or TQ would take care of you in an enjoyable and safe manner.
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast