DIY Cat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ TQ
    Suspension
    WS to Ridged Strap
    Images

DIY Under Quilt Protectors UQP - Patterns, Questions & Brain Storming

Friends,
    After watching the last couple videos from Shugs trip, and the positive results others are having, I am going to test out a uqp for my next trip later this month.

• Does anyone have a good pattern for a DIY UQP?
    • What about using mixing materials (sylnylon \ Rip-stop) in strips to help block wind and still be breathable? (Example: Sylnylon on the bottom, ripstop on the sides)
    • Is the shape for a uqp a rectangle, or more of an oval that tapers at the ends?
    • Does the shock cord go all the way around, or only pieces on the ends and middle?
    • Typical size 106" x 64" ?
    • How much more is the heat retention using 1.1 Rip-stop vs 1.9 Rip-stop?

Thank you
    - William -

How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word. - Psalms 119:9

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    I am interested in this as well. I have been using my Driducks poncho and just ordered one from 2qzq for myself, however I would like to try my hand at making one for my son maybe.
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    I made a quick one out of calandered 1.1 (non-sil) ripstock, I think it works great and really helps in windy or colder conditions.
    I started with my rough hammock size then trimmed the ends to spindle (tapered oval) shape that better matched the hung hammock shape and allowed me to get rid of a lot of unneeded fabric. I didn't have a pattern, but this was fairly easy to do with trial and error - just remember to account for the shape of the hammock with someone in it, not empty .
    For suspension I made a simple rolled end channel like I would make for a hammock then ran a loop of shock cord through this, added a biner and was good to go.
    I think I had a 3' channel in the middle of each side with a length of shock cord to take up some of the middle slack or sag.
    This really is a project you can wing-it as you go along.
    Can't comment on the 1.1 vs 1.9 but I am really pleased with mine and don't feel any need to change the materials for the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by WLMiller54 View Post
    Friends,
    • Does anyone have a good pattern for a DIY UQP?
    • What about using mixing materials (sylnylon \ Rip-stop) in strips to help block wind and still be breathable? (Example: Sylnylon on the bottom, ripstop on the sides)
    • Is the shape for a uqp a rectangle, or more of an oval that tapers at the ends?
    • Does the shock cord go all the way around, or only pieces on the ends and middle?
    • Typical size 106" x 64" ?
    • How much more is the heat retention using 1.1 Rip-stop vs 1.9 Rip-stop?

Thank you

Hammock
    hk 11' hyperD - The Silver Bullet
    Tarp
    Toxaway Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbidge & old bag
    Suspension
    Speed hooks
    jwright,

Do you have any pictures of your DIY UQP? I'm thinking about making one myself and would like to reference this post.

Thanks,
    RedStix

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Are there really no guides to making UQPs? It would be quite nice to know what has been done, and whether there are modifications you can make to the design that would cut weight without sacrificing too much warmth. For instance, would it be better to make a smaller UQP and add an oz of down to your UQ, or go with a full sized one, and not get extra down?

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    In my case it was easier and less expensive to purchase one from Mr&Mrs UQP! So I haven't made one. that said, a good starting point might be...

Find the widest 1.1 rip stop that you can cut it to the approx length of your hammock.
    Sew a channel on both sides and both ends.
    Run a 18ish inch piece of shock cord thru the end channels and tie the ends together to make a loop.
    Run a 11" piece of shock cord and run in each side channel so you can take up the slack in in the sides.

Hope you find this somewhat helpful?

Hammock
    DIY Gatherd End
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UKhammock UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have been toying with the idea of using my spare hammock ( DIY ) as a Underquilt Protector, since i bought a new hammock from Dutch it´s not beeing used.

My plan is to run some shock cord through the rolled hem och the sides of the hammock and an other piece in the end channels...

This would meen that the "UQP" is about the same length as the hammock i´ll be sleeping in, also the UQP would be quite banana shaped, almost like when i´m sleeping in it.

Anybody tried this kind of setup?

• + New Posts