Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Black Mega Ogee
    Insulation
    Lotsa options
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling

UQ vs Z-liner

Thus far my camping has been in temps that the Z-liner works fine for (upper 40s or higher) but let's be honest, it's a PITA to haul around and attach. Is there a lighter, smaller (when stuffed) full size UQ option that fits the Clark NX-250 for temps below 40 and how steep is the learning curve to using an UQ? It took me a while to figure out the "right hang" for me and I have never used an UQ or OQ. I sleep in a Wiggy's Freedom Shelter Ultra Light 20 degree bag (love the centerline zipper) and sleep quite well. But the Z-liner is a bulky SOB.

Images
    With the exception of Warbonnet's quilts he made for his bridge hammock, any quilt will fit any hammock. The learning curve isn't bad, your sort of forced to learn quick, or you'll be cold.

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Black Mega Ogee
    Insulation
    Lotsa options
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    How bulky/heavy are they and do they make em out of Climashield or Lamilite or something that isn't adversely affected by water like down?

Images
    Down will be the least bulky/ heavy insulation available. Maker's like Undergroundquilts.com have a water repellant down, which excels on extended winter trips where condensation builds up in the insulation. This allows the down to dry much faster, keeping it's loft much better.

You can by a jarbridge uq, it's synthetic, but not light and compact. Wiggy is the only one I know of using lamilite.

It's not difficult to keep your gear dry, plus yu can get down soaked, it just won't keep you warm until it drys out. I know of people using the same down bag for 30 years and they're still good usable bags.

I suggest doing some research and find what works for you

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by BC9696 View Post
    How bulky/heavy are they and do they make em out of Climashield or Lamilite or something that isn't adversely affected by water like down?
    There is a company that use Climashield...cough....

All insulations will be affected by water, to what degree and what consequence varies but if your gear gets soaked through...like if you fall in a lake with your gear...you will not be in for a good night no matter the insulation. If rain splashing back up under your tarp is a concern then anything will be fine. The quality of the DWR's that are on the fabrics will shed all of that sort of moisture.

Bulk and weight will depend on the quilt type, insulation type, fill thickness/fill power and so on. A synthetic partial length quilt can run down around a pound, pack to the size of a soccer ball and be good down into the 20's. Down of similar capability can be a few ounces lighter and pack a bit smaller.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Black Mega Ogee
    Insulation
    Lotsa options
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    There is a company that use Climashield...cough....

All insulations will be affected by water, to what degree and what consequence varies but if your gear gets soaked through...like if you fall in a lake with your gear...you will not be in for a good night no matter the insulation. If rain splashing back up under your tarp is a concern then anything will be fine. The quality of the DWR's that are on the fabrics will shed all of that sort of moisture.

Bulk and weight will depend on the quilt type, insulation type, fill thickness/fill power and so on. A synthetic partial length quilt can run down around a pound, pack to the size of a soccer ball and be good down into the 20's. Down of similar capability can be a few ounces lighter and pack a bit smaller.
    You'll be happy to learn you're wrong. I took a backcountry dunking and learned the hard way about down. Now my bag is bulletproof, even if soaking wet.

Watch the video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD3wA5Wrcmc

• + New Posts