Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images

finally made a double-layer hammock

I've been using an inexpensive gathered end hammock (like an ENO double) so far. I finally made a whipped end hammock. Why did I wait so long? Beats me.

Don't yell, no pics (yet).

I used 2 layers of 1.9 ripstop, assembled like Risk's zhammock
    http://www.imrisk.com/zhammock/zhammock.htm
    but I used all straight stitching, since my zigzag machines both need to go to the shop. I sewed the middle 36 inches of the hammock sides together, instead of the 42 Risk calls for. However, I did make this a 9' hammock, like Risk's, instead of a 10'. Figured, why not try it. It is OK but I'll know better how I like it after I've spent the night in it. I also left the material 60" wide instead of cutting it down to Risk's 48". I'm glad I did that because I'm on the wide side and there was just enough room for me to sprawl a little.

I originally folded the ends in a W shape in order to get the edges of the hammock to be taut and to have a slight high area down the middle, like on Just Jeff's page
    http://tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock2.html
    however, I decided that I did not like the middle ridge so I sat on a bench in the park, undid my whipping, and re-did it to have just the edges taut. I am a side sleeper, but this hammock is so much smaller than my other one that there is really only one angle to lie down in (at?) and the mid-line ridge was not comfy for me.

It is too cool having such a simple hammock that I can modify wherever and whenever I want to.

I made a double layer hammock because I wanted to try out a pad between the layers. I stuffed an untrimmed Oware 40 x 60 x 3/16" pad in there and it was comfortable enough. Certainly better then the pad tossed in the bottom of my single layer hammock. I'm also going to cobble up a temporary taped segmented pad from blue camping pads and see how that feels.

I think I'll make another of these, trying a different fabric. The 1.9 ripstop has some kind of DWR coating on one side, making it rather plastic feeling. I'm not keen on plasticy textures so I'll troll the fabric stores and see what I can find. And I think I'll try a 10' long hammock, just to see.
    -Liz -

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Sounds great. Looking forward to hearing about your experiences with this one, and of course looking forward to the pics.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Great project. I really enjoy simple double-layer gathered end hammocks.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Hey, congratulations! My first project was similar. Hope to see your pictures soon!
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    I also made the risk Zhammock last winter.

Unlike you, I followed the instructions and made it 48 in. wide. When I get on the diagonal, it's a real close thing. My head and feet are right near the outside edge.

In review, I noticed Risk always is pictured in the"banana position", which must suit him fine. Doesn't work for me though.

Grinder

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images

and... Pictures!

Pictures of the aforementioned DIY 9' hammock.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...ccatdeluxe.jpg

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...indiy9foot.jpg

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...chdiy9foot.jpg

As you can see from the second picture, it is possible with this 60" hammock to get a reasonable diagonal going. It is a narrower and shorter than my commercial double wide hammock (similar to an ENO double) and it is not as comfortable (or maybe I have not fiddled around with sag enough) but I slept well last night in it.
    I was also able to sit facing one long edge, get cross-legged, and have a comfortable chair. Again, not as splendidly sybaritic as my double wide hammock, but good enough.
    I stuffed the Oware pad between the layers it and although it wrinkled up in a couple of spots (so I know where to make my cuts in the pad) it was comfortable and warm. Around 4am, when the temp dropped to 48 from 55, I deployed a lightweight polypro underquilt as well. My 30 degree Marmot bag was too warm for a top layer. At one point I kicked the bag around and tossed and turned so the foot end of the bag was near my head. Took me a while to figure out why I could not get the bag to cover my shoulders ...
    I believe that I tossed and turned more in this hammock then my usual doublewide hammock.
    So, the next thing to do is make a 10.5' double layer hammock and see how I like that.
    -Liz -

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Looks like a great hammock! I made a customized/modified speer last year: I'm 6'5', and by making my hammock 60 inches wide and approximatly 10.5 feet long its pretty comfortable. In Ed speers book, he mentions that the longer the hammock, the more comfortable it is. (less shoulder pinch etc) Its great to save weight, but having a comfortable bed is priceless!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY Top & Bottom
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Images
    Good job on the hammock! Welcome to habit forming world of DIY gear.

I made a double hammock a while ago and found that 11' was the magic number. I think 9' would be to short. I also have since made an Assym hammock and found that it has a better lay due to the whipping. The gathered end hammock tends to "cup" at the ends while the Assym roll method creates a flat pannel effect that is more comfortable. You might want to try it.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Very nice. Would like to hear about how your experimentation with pads goes, or is it too late in the year for any cold weather testing?
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    HHBP or Expr summer, diyMutts other
    Tarp
    HH Explr or HH Hex
    Insulation
    IXUQ+NeoAr
    Suspension
    Rings+Static line
    I'm 5' 11" and have used ~ 9 ft whipped end hammocks in various widths for several years until I made one about 10' 7" x 48" wide with cord channel ends last winter.

Result -- gave away all the shorter ones and made another ~10' 10" x 60".

Me
    "There's no accounting for other people's taste in love, fiction and huntin' dogs." ---Mark Twain

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast