Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Guide Gear -Modded
    Insulation
    Onewind Top/Underq
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies

Hammock Evangelism to the Masses

I was in REI just yesterday to get a stuff sack for the DIY hammock I made as a Christmas present for my spousal unit (I know it would be more awesome if I made the stuff sack, but my thread injection skills are nonexistent at this time). I got up to the section with the stuff sacks while a clerk was there, who asked if there was anything he could help me with. I told him what I was look for and showed him the hammock so that I could test what sacks it would fit into. He was actually quite impressed with the idea that I made the hammock; so much so, that after he finished helping another customer, he came back over to me and started asking all sorts of questions about the hammock and how I made it. I explained the basics of the construction and told him about this forum so he could check out more if he ever decided that he was interested enough. After that, I bought my stuff sack and went on my way.

Does anybody else have any cool hammock evangelism stories?
    - We're never going to survive this!!
    - Nonsense. You only say that because no one ever has.

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    I travel a lot with my job and, sometimes during exercises work odd hours in rather sparse areas. The one thing that I always have with me is my lean green lounging machine (otherwise known as a sage green tafetta tablecloth hammock) along with some suspension parts. It turns out a hammock hangs pretty well in the back of a box truck or cargo van. At first, my partner scoffed at the thought and said I was lugging around dead weight....until he wanted to take a nap. A couple weeks ago, we were forced to an exercise working in separate locations. He begged me to borrow my hammock claiming it was the only way he got any kind of decent rest during our exercises (they typically run about 30-36 hrs for us straight).

Luckily, I happened to have an extra (ok, 4 or 5) tablecloth at home along with plenty of lash-it and Amsteel. He went to the exercise with a brand new hammock and a crash course on how to set it up. That was one happy Greek.
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I call myself the Hammock Evangelist. I've done 4 clinics so far. I talked to REI but nothing's happened. I just did one at an outfitter about 400 yards away so I'll probably stick with them.

I try to evangelize the unclean masses as much as possible.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I never pass up a chance to convert someone to the dark side.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Images
    new guy at work loved my lunch seat, my gtul, so much that he went out a few days later and bought an eno, and has already set it up in his house

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Kelty 12
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    BW webbing
    I have found it better to live your beliefs that to preach to nonbeliever's.
    A little over a year ago I was on a motorcycle trip with some friends (ground dwellers). The first night we stoped at a state park and they argued for a bit which was the best place to lay in the dirt. When they finly decided I parked my bike and got out of my riding gear and went and grabbed a shower. When I came back they were still setting up what looked like a circus side show with all the poles and canvass (ok nylon) going into the air. I unpacked my chair and mixed a drink to watch the proceeding.
    They finly got happy with all there construction, or sick and tired of all my encouragement not sure whitch! At that point they were even hotter, it had been 104 most of the afternoon and we were expecting a low down into the low 90's that night. They asked me where I was going to set up, and looked puzzled when I pointed over my shoulder with my thumb at a rocky hillside and responded over there some where. Finly getting up and grabbing my WBBB and stringing it between two trees and announcing I am done. It was hot and had not rained for a couple months and was not any weather predicted for a couple more, thus no tarp. They stood there hot sweaty and sober as I Layed down in my hammock and anounced that the showers were GREAT !
    Jumping forward one year planning a ride all over Colorado I was asked what I would be taking to sleep in I said my WBBB or my new WBRR I was barraged with questions. Low and behold on that trip there were three haingers and not a single ground dweller in our group. It was cold and raning all but one day of that trip, but not a single complaint about how any one slept the entire trip. Well except a few complaints about my snoring ! Hay it kept the bears away!
    So my preaching is suttle but the lessen is learned.

Hammock
    DIY purple HyperD
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    1. I went backpacking with some friends in the wilds of Colorado. We set up, me in my hammock over some rough-looking and prickly ground, they under their tarp on a ground cloth. I had a great night's sleep. The ground-bound did not fare so well. One had a rock in his back all night, the second had a sleeping pad fail, the third did alright. The next day everyone wanted to try the hammock and I ended up making tablecloth hammocks for everyone in the group.

2. I invited my Schwans man inside the house as it was cold out. I have my TD stand and a tablecloth hammock in my basement. He was curious and wanted to try it out, but was a bit wary as I am a small person and he was larger. (240 he told me), but I told him it was ok. He got in, the stand held, he was impressed and comfy and has asked me to make him two hammocks for Christmas presents... (One for his son and one for himself).

I've only been playing around with hammocks for 4 months! Slowly taking over Colorado Springs......lol
    If you don't experiment, you don't learn!

A couple weeks ago Chigger and I were on the AT and we had a few opportunities to demonstrate the beauty of hammock hanging, and each time it was because we were asked about them, we didn't pick on anyone. I do admit to a bit of smugness as the shelter boys (all over 40) gimped around complaining of various aches and pains as they got up in the morning. The old adage of what one picture is worth applies in spades to actually showing what the hammock is capable of doing for a camper, and when Chigger comfortably laid down in his hammock before 7:00 one evening and didn't get up until after 7:00 the next morning, some of our hiking friends were incredulous that he stayed comfortable that long and old Chig just smiled.

Hammock
    The Quagmire/misc DIY/Eno DN
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Hg system(eventual
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies/UCR's
    Images
    I was talking to a couple coworkers at bass pro and somehow backpacking and hammocks came up and I told them about some camping and diy adventures and told them about the site. No idea if they ever joined. Then at REI across the street from bass pro I was looking at a few stuff sacks to get an idea for what size I needed to make and a couple of the guys asked me about it. I used to be a rep in that store for running equipment so all the guys and the manager know me. It would be pretty sweet if they let me do a clinic one morning...
    I may be dumb, but at least I'm ugly!

I've done so much, with so little, for so long, now I can do anything with nothing.

It's not peer pressure, it's just your turn.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    Part of me wants this to stay a secret. There's only so many trees to go around.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast