Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps

Can you make a daisy chain out of AmSteel?

I have a little length of Amsteel left and was considering how I might use it up. From climbing (years ago) I have some daisy chains - sometimes called Python straps. It's webbing doubled over with the two sides stitched together every five or six inches to create loops or "steps" down the length.

I was wondering if that would work with Amsteel - say start with a fixed eye, to a brummel lock, then a 4 to 5 inch bury, then come out to another brommel and a "loop", back to a brummel and bury ... rinse, repeat.

That is instead of webbing where the "steps" are created by three "bars stitches" or X's or whatever, the steps in the Amsteel are created by a "bury" coming out from a brummel, creating enough of a loop (hole) for a carabiner to clip in, then going back (via another brummel) to the bury.

My concern is, usually the force is applied to just Amsteel with a fixed eye. In this case, force is applied to the Brummel - but not completely because the pull it through a bury above the burmmel. .... see what I mean?

Guess the question is - does the Amsteel daisy chain look doable, or would the stress on the burmmel tear it apart?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Well, python straps protect the tree. If you're using this daisy chain in place of straps, you're gonna damage the tree.

There's a thread on this:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...el+daisy+chain

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    ...I was wondering if that would work with Amsteel - say start with a fixed eye, to a brummel lock, then a 4 to 5 inch bury, then come out to another brommel and a "loop", back to a brummel and bury ... rinse, repeat...
    60 seconds trying to visualize this and my head hurts. A quick and dirty sketch would help a lot.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Gmcttr - just imagine a Daisy Chain, sometimes called Python Strap, but made out of Amsteel instead of webbing. And instead of having the loops/steps sewn in, they are made with brummel locks and buries.

SilvrSurfr - I hear you - I wasn't intending to put the Amsteel around the tree. I would use it as an "adjustable" between tree friendly webbing and the hammock - except instead of being continuously adjustable like a whoopee, it is "step" adjustable like a daisy chain.

For those thinking - "... for crying out loud, why doesn't he just use a whoopee?" From my limited experience at the end of last winter, it is not fun to play with frozen whoopee slings. Sure, they are fun when they are nice and warm and pliable; but not so much fun when stiff and frozen.

The python strap will work fine. It's just that I had a little Amsteel left over at the end of a 50 ft section and I considered this use. I figured I'd ask first because it is a little work making the buries and brummels and if at the end of it, the result was a hank of useless Amsteel, then I'd rather just make some utility continuous loops. But a nice Amsteel weight daisy chain would be handy to have too - if it would work.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I had in mind just what the link that SilvrSurfr gave EXCEPT, instead of going from Brummel to Brummel to Brummel as that link shows, I'd add a 4 or 5 inch bury between each loop. And this would be a step-wise connection from webbing to the hammock, the AmSteel itself would not go around the tree.

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    I think I know what you're talking about and I believe it's been discussed before. From my understanding that problem with this idea is that when you have the proper sized buries your loops end up being close to a foot apart. At that point it would seem that you've lost that adjust-ability you were looking for. For ease of use with gloves on, it's hard to beat straps and rings.

Images
    I have. I didn't use ay buries. I just made multiple locked brummels.
    Make your locked brummel, where you pass the cord through itself with each end. Now instead of buring the cord, just repeat the process 3 times. So I'd have 3 locked brummels, then a 2" loop, then 3 more locked brummels tight together. Held my butt up fine...

Hammock
    DYI gathered end
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ 20* FJ & zep
    Suspension
    Straps/cinch Bckl
    Images
    Funny that you posted this. I want to do something similar on my tarp ridgeline as places to tie off to ( similar to an alpine knot). or to loop my poles through.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Fallkniven, I think I got it - start with an eye, then three locks where a lock is each "side" passing through each other, then some length for the next "loop", then three Brummels where again, one Brummel is each side passing through. When I get within 10 inches of the ends, I'll spice them together like a "chain link".

Thank you.

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    KAQ, UGQ
    You can make a daisy chain. All you need to do is make a bunch of continuous loops, and then pass them through each other effectively doubling them. You can start with a loop or a dog bone or what ever you like. My pictures are better than my words.

Hope this helps a little.

The trick is deciding how you want to start it and end it. You could even go so far as to start with a continuous loop doubled and then splice the ending loop doubled to make a "perfect chain."

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast