Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Anyone using a bivy in their hammock?

That was my exact setup when I first started.

Hammock
    DH 11' Freebird
    Tarp
    Kelty 9x9
    Insulation
    DIY Poncho/GoLite
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle Strap
    Images
    I'm awaiting delivery of a new Big Agnes 15 degree bag and Q core insulated air pad. I want to try it out in my signal layer 11' DH along with my full length DIY poncho liner underquilt as a means for cold weather camping.

I have a Black Diamond winter waterproof bivy but could see no way of getting in and out of it during the night, just way to restrictive. And as stated before I really don't see an advantage to it, other than a little extra wind protection.

my $.02
    ~Adventure Before Dementia~

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    When looking for a hammock I wanted the benefits of a bivvy in a hammock so I got a Clark NX-250 that I believe is an elegant way to implement the concept.
    Brian
    (formerly Oblique Angler)

Job 41:1, 2

`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´><((((º>¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Zpacks
    Insulation
    Just enough!
    seems like the worst of both worlds. condensation is always a concern with a bivy.

i've been thinking of this too. i'm pretty new to hammock, going to do my first overnight this weekend otherwise just been naps and lounging in it. i love my ground gear and have been really trying to think of ways of minimizing my gear to do a cross over between hammock (in case i fall in love or want to do it) and ground incase no trees or what not. i've found a few places that make bivy's and do custom work so i'm thinking if i get a bivy with bug net then the material they use is waterproof and breathable and i can get the zipper on the side for easy access like a sleeping bag. then i could use the bivy as a ground sheet/bug protection on the ground and in the hammock. now i just need to figure out warmth i may try the segmented pad extender or just a down quilt then i could use that as an under quilt and use my 15 deg sleeping bag as my top quilt or vice a versa when it's could and still use one of the other for ground camping as well. oh and after hiking 20+ miles in 1.5 days with a 35lb or more pack on my back i've become a gram wienie as well....

Hammock
    Townsend Bridge
    Tarp
    Homemade Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ TR Pad
    Suspension
    Dogbones-Mule Tape
    Quote Originally Posted by Poedog View Post
    In place of a double layer hammock, has anyone used a bivy (with pad and bag) in their gathered end hammock single layer? I love my ground gear and will never part with it, but would like to combine elements of both in order to carry less gear on long walks, thrus, etc. I use a MLD SL bivy with full bug net head.
    When the temps really started dipping last winter, I used my gore-tex bivy over my top quilt...I loved the versatility of it. As for using a pad, that is a different thing...in my DL bridge, I use a Therm-a-Rest insulated close foam pad between the layers and that works great--although I am finding that about any of my under quilts can be made to work with the bridge hammocks, so we'll see which way I lean on that part this winter. I have been mulling over how to make a combo ground / hammock kit that would work well on variable terrains and think combining elements of both is a good way to go depending on the needs.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I have the SOL Escape Bivvy-not to be confused with their SOL Emergency Shelter.The Escape Bivvy is breathable,weighs about 8 oz,and I have used it sucessfully with no condensation over my 20 degree HG top quilt.At least two other people I know have used it successfully.It is not like a traditional ground bivvy but it does boost your bag ratings without causing a huge weight penalty.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    A hammock isn't really the best place to use gear that encloses you. Better to embrace the open-ness of the hammock and insulate yourself accordingly. One of the great benefits is lack of condensation. Its a real PITA trying to wiggle around in a bag in a hammock, I can't imagine compounding that with a bivy.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Chameleon, Halfwit
    Tarp
    DIY DynaFly
    Insulation
    EE TQ &amp; UQ,
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    I have the SOL Escape Bivvy-not to be confused with their SOL Emergency Shelter.The Escape Bivvy is breathable,weighs about 8 oz,and I have used it sucessfully with no condensation over my 20 degree HG top quilt.At least two other people I know have used it successfully.It is not like a traditional ground bivvy but it does boost your bag ratings without causing a huge weight penalty.
    My buddy just hiked the PCT and did the last 250 in a hammock. It was so wet and stormy the last few weeks, his sol bivvy in the hammock was his saving grace against the cold and damp.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Be what Is to Become
    Become what Is to Be
    Make the Future
    Given Thee...

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Nothing quite as funny as watching someone get in a sleeping bag (or TQ), then get in a bivy, then get in a hammock. It's not easy. It used to take my friend about 10 minutes to get situated. Based on just watching my friend, I wouldn't even consider it.

Personally, I don't even buy that "breathable" bivy stuff. I don't find that believable.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast