Tarp
    DIY DynaFly
    Insulation
    EE TQ & UQ,
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Nothing quite as funny as watching someone get in a sleeping bag (or TQ), then get in a bivy, then get in a hammock. It's not easy. It used to take my friend about 10 minutes to get situated. Based on just watching my friend, I wouldn't even consider it.

Personally, I don't even buy that "breathable" bivy stuff. I don't find that believable.
    I'm not sure if you've ever camped at elevation during a Pacific Northwest storm before, or woken up in a cold wet cloud that saturates everything you own no matter what protection you have. An UQ much less a down UQ in those conditions is useless.

Believe it or not, he was very happy to have it and he's a pretty tough dude.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Be what Is to Become
    Become what Is to Be
    Make the Future
    Given Thee...

Hammock
    Chameleon, Halfwit
    Tarp
    DIY DynaFly
    Insulation
    EE TQ & UQ,
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Basically, any condensation he experienced was nothing compared to the saturation he would have experienced otherwise.

I agree though, getting into a bag in a hammock is rediculously annoying.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Be what Is to Become
    Become what Is to Be
    Make the Future
    Given Thee...

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamystic View Post
    I'm not sure if you've ever camped at elevation during a Pacific Northwest storm before, or woken up in a cold wet cloud that saturates everything you own no matter what protection you have. An UQ much less a down UQ in those conditions is useless.

Believe it or not, he was very happy to have it and he's a pretty tough dude.
    No offense meant, but I think your friend is over-exaggerating the benefits of a bivy inside a hammock. If the UQ isn't inside the bivy, then what is the benefit of the TQ inside the bivy? That only half your insulation is saturated?

I totally understand how someone can be sold on "bivy inside a hammock," because there's nothing you can say to my friend to convince him that it's not a lifesaver. However, other than your friend and my friend, I can't think of anyone else who thinks a bivy inside a hammock is a lifesaver.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Nothing quite as funny as watching someone get in a sleeping bag (or TQ), then get in a bivy, then get in a hammock. It's not easy. It used to take my friend about 10 minutes to get situated. Based on just watching my friend, I wouldn't even consider it.

Personally, I don't even buy that "breathable" bivy stuff. I don't find that believable.
    Believe what you want to but I have used my SOL Escape Bivvy a few times and have yet to have condensation issues with it.Keep in mind it is not a traditional bivvy sack and it does boost you bag rating a bit.Mine was just under $50 and worth it,in my opinion.It's easy to use with your top quilt too.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Don't take my word for it.Here's a YT report by my hiking buddy Josh.He likes the green one,I like the orange one.Added a stick on zipper to mine.Watch how easy it is to get into.Last week I went with Josh and Sidney Hornblower to to Coosa Back Country trail at Vogel State Park.Night temps were about 60.
    The SOL Escape Bivvy is all Josh took.I thot about it but am too much of an old wimp not to take my 40 degree tq which did feel good about 3 a.m.
    Here's the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FECxWQNbtrY

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    I don't have a CCF pad, but didn't like the NeoAir pad in a gathered end hammock.

I don't have a SOL bivvy either, but I have used a mulberry silk liner down to 69°F on two nights. Having forgotten my underquilt at home, the first night was met with slight CBS, but I acclimated by the second night and slept like a baby.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123