Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB UQ,MLD Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps

Please help with winter setup

Hi all, I want to do some winter camping this year but don't have the funds to purchase warmer quilts. I have a JRB 30 degree ¾ UQ and a Mountain hardware synthetic 35 degree bag that I thing for me is really only good down to around 40 degrees. Any suggestions on what else I could use to take me down into the 20 and 30s and maybe even into the teens. Mostly concerned about feet ant top.

Some other equipment I have and could use is a Big Angus Air pad and fleece blankets. I will also layer my clothing with heavy socks and long underwear, warm jacket, and hat.

Please offer any suggestions to my setup. I don't want to get out in the middle of the woods and freeze.

Thanks
    TDHanger

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    You already have the basics, start experimenting with the additional items you have in backyard situations and learn what you can.

Beyond that, you can regulate warmth quite a bit by what you wear on your head/face.

Also try to create a typical bedtime scenario to what you would have out in the woods by eating something before bed.

Once you get a sense of the limits your gear has, then you can learn about hot water bottles and see how much more that will get you.

David

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB UQ,MLD Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Bannerstone View Post
    You already have the basics, start experimenting with the additional items you have in backyard situations and learn what you can.

Beyond that, you can regulate warmth quite a bit by what you wear on your head/face.

Also try to create a typical bedtime scenario to what you would have out in the woods by eating something before bed.

Once you get a sense of the limits your gear has, then you can learn about hot water bottles and see how much more that will get you.

David
    Thanks Bannerstone. I am going to do just that this weekend. I just want to enjoy my winter trip not get to cold. Better to get cold at home first so you can always go in to get warm if falls.
    TDHanger

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    A ccf pad will really help under you. You can also stack other sleeping bags to get warmer on top, or you can wear more clothing/jackets to bed. A good hat and socks make a big difference as well.
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Do you sew or know someone who can sew for you? A hammock sock might be something to look into. For really cold weather, some members advovcate using a sock made from cotton. I painter's canvas drop cloth could be fashoined into a sock wiith a little sewing and not a lot of expense.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    One thing I have carried along on trips where I thought the temps might dip lower than I was comfortable with, was the chemical hand warmers. I have a lightweight fleece with a chest pocket. Drop one of those warmers in the pocket and I stay nice and toasty.
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB UQ,MLD Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Quote Originally Posted by hikingdad View Post
    A ccf pad will really help under you. You can also stack other sleeping bags to get warmer on top, or you can wear more clothing/jackets to bed. A good hat and socks make a big difference as well.
    Thanks hikingdad. Only thing about stacking the bags is the bulk when trying to pack them. I can do this for car camping but not hiking. I think I will try to use a fleece in my bag first. And a Pad under my feet for sure.
    TDHanger

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB UQ,MLD Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Do you sew or know someone who can sew for you? A hammock sock might be something to look into. For really cold weather, some members advovcate using a sock made from cotton. I painter's canvas drop cloth could be fashoined into a sock wiith a little sewing and not a lot of expense.
    I will have to see if I can have someone sew me one of these. Would contain the heat and just be what I need. Thanks Bubba.
    TDHanger

Hammock
    HH Exped / DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    Etowah 10X10
    Insulation
    JRB Grey3/HR
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    I add a fleece line to my bags. It adds about 15*F for me. I have had my MSS with Bivy cover down to 4*F in my hammock with a 3/4 Thermarest under me. Heavy bag system for hiking though.
    Making memories of the sights, sounds, textures and smells of nature to create A Sight to Remember...

A Sight to Remember's Facebook
    A Sight to Remember

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB UQ,MLD Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Setup my hammock out in yard and put fleece in bag. I will give it a go tonight but only going down to 38 so I will have to try it this weekend sat is going down to 32. That will be more if a test.. I will post my results.

Thanks everyone for the input.
    TDHanger

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast