Clark TX-250 with weathershield
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Tarp
    Insulation
    I love HammockGear
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Hmmm.... Very interesting thread. Thanks for sharing.
    With a radical sense of hope, I strive for the seemingly impossible.

Hammock
    BIAS, WB
    So, could it be said that wearing a fleece underneath of a down jacket would make it not as warm as wearing the down jacket closer to your body without the fleece? Or is this a totally different thing we're talking here.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Sounds to me that your experiencing what makes a VB (vapor barrier) work.

With the socks on, the moisture exchange with heat is exiting the booties, assuming the socks go out of the booties or not completely covered by them. Remember the function of the sock is to wick moisture and heat away while hiking.

Without socks, the VB (booties) is keeping the moisture and heat on your feet keeping them toasty warm.

Or something like that, maybe...I guess.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    DIY DL 10.5' gathered with net
    Tarp
    DIY Winter or Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Snugpak
    Suspension
    Rings, buckles, WS
    Images
    Anybody ever try knee-high pantyhose? Before you bust your gut laughing, hear me out. My father used to coach boxer's. Part of his workout regiment was for them to run XX amount of miles each week, yearlong. That meant running in the winter in southern Ohio. Whenever they would complain about being cold when they ran he'd tell them to put some pantyhose on as a base. I've never tried it myself so I don't have a basis to draw any conclusions on whether or not it makes a/any difference.

What say the masses? Anybody ever tried this? I have a feeling I'll hear nothing but crickets chirping...

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings

Re: Lesson Learned - Down Booties - No Socks

Compression baselayers are great when you are moving. That is part of why UA got so popular. If I'm snowshoeing, I like compression socks. They keep my feet very comfortable. I would not recommend sleeping in that stuff though.
    I like to use one size above normal for all of my sleeping gear, especially my socks. I don't want any compression at all when I'm sitting around camp or sleeping.

Socks or no socks??? I have had warmer feet without my socks on in my down booties before. (I've had colder feet too.) I found that my feet were warmer because I had my normal fit socks on and they limited the circulation. I tested this around the house for a couple weeks last winter and I found that the socks I used in my fishing waders worked best. (They are over the calf XL heavyweight socks. I wear a size 10 shoe.)
    Enjoy the testing and find what works for you.
    "I'm a connoisseur of BACON." - Anyways - 6/9/13

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I wear pantyhose under my socks and ski pants when I ski. It seems to keep me warmer.

I am going to try a pair of my husbands wool socks that are very loose on me. I think that will help keep my feet warm with my down booties on really cold nights. I may be going to Pennsylvania and hanging during Thanksgiving. Much colder than here in SC.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by packdaddy View Post
    I have found circulation is a big part of it. If i pitch the foot end of my hammock too high my feet get cold. If it is more level my feet stay warm. I switched to bridge hammock now and can pitch it level and my feet are warm and I am completely comfortable.
    This makes sense but its bad news for me because I sleep with my knees and ankles well above my head and heart because I have arthritis in both joints. Keeping these joints elevated at night keeps the swelling and pain way down.

I have to keep them elevated but I'm going to try the hot water bottle trick tomorrow night when I sleep outside...its supposed to be around 30 deg. It'll be a good test.

Plus based on the info in this thread, I'm wearing these tomorrow night, see attached. They're fleece.With loose socks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by outdoorsguy; 11-07-2013 at 10:20.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    As long as the fleece booties are loose also, you should have toasty warm feet.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsguy View Post
    This makes sense but its bad news for me because I sleep with my knees and ankles well above my head and heart because I have arthritis in both joints. Keeping these joints elevated at night keeps the swelling and pain way down.

I have to keep them elevated but I'm going to try the hot water bottle trick tomorrow night when I sleep outside...its supposed to be around 30 deg. It'll be a good test.

Plus based on the info in this thread, I'm wearing these tomorrow night, see attached. They're fleece.With loose socks.
    Experiment a little - try one foot with sock/bootie, the other with just the bootie (no sock) and see which is better for you. The trick is to stay warm and not sweat enough to dampen the sock/bootie.
    The hot water bottle is my favorite trick when it's cold - I insulate it with a couple layers of heavy socks (or towel wrap) and pull the insulation off as you need more heat in the wee hours.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Klymit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    The thing your noticing is that with out a sock blood flows more readily through your feet. If you do a liner sock like nighthauk suggests buy it well larger than your usual size socks so it's not restrictive of blood flow.
    +1 on the blood flow thing. Extremities are the first things to go when it gets cold. And being diabetic, I get cold from the feet first. down booties or even no socks at all wrapped up in the footbox works well for me.
    A lotta ins... lotta outs... lotta what-have-you's

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast