Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY Insulated 3.5 season
    Insulation
    Boreal Beast UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and rings .
    I still think your ahead to have a down bag without socks to rub your feet together to generate heat . I use a down jacket with the sleeves and neck tied up . I always think well it's not that cold tonight and forego the bag and then regret it later when I can't find the darn thing in the dark .
    I have really long skinny feet and they just do not generate many BTUs on their own .

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lostagain View Post
    Glad to see someone else has noticed the same thing. I have two pair of down booties/socks. One from Mountain Hardwear and the other from GooseFeet Gear. Love both pairs, but have found that with socks of any kind on, they seem to be less thermally efficient than without. My theory is that the socks suppress the heat coming off your feet in order to keep your feet warm (after all, this is one of the primary functions of socks), thus not allowing the down to do it's insulation thing, so that even though your feet are inside both the wool socks and down socks, the wool socks are what is keeping your feet warm, and the down socks are merely there.

I've found that without socks both the booties and down socks keep my feet warm to the point of sweating.
    Hmmm I don't think so. Sounds like a job for Mythbusters.
    My friend and I were having the same argument over his sleeping bag. He's convinced he sleeps warmer if he crawls in it with just his underwear on.

If your wool socks were blocking the heat from getting to the down, then by definitions they are doing plenty of insulating on their own and your feet would feel plenty toasty with just the socks on.

The general tip I see in outdoor magazines is that people will make the mistake of wearing two pairs of socks when they go out for a winter adventure of some sort. If your shoes fit there really isn't room for two socks and it both compresses the dead air spaces in the fabric/wool and or it constricts circulation in the feet which prevents body warmth from entering your feet in the first place.

I purchased the thickest pair of socks Darn Tough makes for winter camping. While experimenting in my hammock in the backyard below freezing I found that if I put these on normally (they are almost knee length) my feet were REALLY cold. I don't get cold feet often so I thought this was weird. I took them off and my feet were fine inside the sleeping bag. So I tried putting them back on and rolling down the top to about my ankle and things were fine. Apparently they were snug enough around my calves to reduce circulation. I have a feeling this probably points to my being out of shape more than an issue with the sock, but taking these skiing would be a horrible mistake if that's what they do to me. YMMV.

For my friends sleeping bag I think he's lost his mind. Unless he is suggesting his clothes are so bulky they are causing the pirmaloft to compress against the outer layer of fabric, they shouldn't be reducing R value.
    Another option would be if his clothes are damp when he climbs in the sleeping bag or if they somehow allow an escape path to form. If he had something on with a stiff collar that let his torso vent easy it might make him colder.

Of course to test some of this, all we need is a reasonably accurate thermometer with a probe on it. Wear your booties while hanging around the house and measure how warm it is between the bootie and your feet. Then try it with socks. Measure inside and outside the sock and see what findings you get.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    This is very interesting. I have a pair of down booties and I always wear socks with them. But I have said to myself, "Gee--I don't understand why everyone's so keen on down booties. They just aren't that warm!"

I have a pair of loose fleece booties I'll try inside the down booties. And I'll try the down booties alone. Thanks for the suggestions!

"Booties!" That's funny!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I've also always worn socks with booties. Actually, my booties are quite bulky (felt-type bottoms for walking) so they don't come backpacking too often.

I may try them without socks sometime.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Does anyone know what the military is currently teaching (Army/Marines)? They tend to do the research along with having the experience.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl, XLC 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG B/I 20*
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    When plucking the down off of a duck, is there ever a pair of socks around there body?

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Evazote foam 1/4"
    Suspension
    Stock Straps
    I have found circulation is a big part of it. If i pitch the foot end of my hammock too high my feet get cold. If it is more level my feet stay warm. I switched to bridge hammock now and can pitch it level and my feet are warm and I am completely comfortable.
    "Rudeness is a weak man's impression of strength"

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by packdaddy View Post
    I have found circulation is a big part of it. If i pitch the foot end of my hammock too high my feet get cold. If it is more level my feet stay warm. I switched to bridge hammock now and can pitch it level and my feet are warm and I am completely comfortable.
    I find that true also, but circulation is also important to make sure your socks aren't tight.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Evazote foam 1/4"
    Suspension
    Stock Straps
    How about using a diabetic sock?

"A diabetic sock is a non-binding and non-elasticated sock which is designed so as to not constrict the foot or leg.[1] Typically sufferers of diabetes are the most common users of this type of sock.[2] Diabetes raises the blood sugar level, which can increase the risk of foot ulcers. Diabetic socks are made to be unrestrictive of circulation.[1]"

They even com in ultra lite http://www.amazon.com/Diabetic-Socks.../dp/B00BMDAJ32
    "Rudeness is a weak man's impression of strength"

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I have some thin loose socks I will be wearing with my down booties from now on. I don't know much about the diabetic socks.
    "No whining in the woods"

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast