Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    GrizzBridge
    Tarp
    DD Camo
    Images

getting in-need advice

ok guys-did the backyard overnighter last night and everything went well....but.-how on earth does everyone get into their sleeping bags without the zipper mod or standing on the ground and pulling the bag on like a potato sack? i was sooo frustrated trying to get myself placed and zipped up and on top of the pad i was sweating by the time i got in place and it froze here last night. surely there must be an easier way-anybody have a way figured out? i can see how the zipper mod would shine but i've spent enough on stuff this winter and the standing on the ground in bag just does not seem like a good idea out in the bush or on a slope.-thx

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    3 seasons I used my JRB quilt, but in the winter I still use my down bag. My "methoD' is as follows. I unzip the bag 3/4 down. I align it in the hammaock the best I possibly can with my "butt spot" as the priority. I then sit down right on that spot. I remove shoes and then swing my legs up. I pivot carefully and lie back. I then zip up the bag appropriately. ta-da!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Supertramp View Post
    ok guys-did the backyard overnighter last night and everything went well....but.-how on earth does everyone get into their sleeping bags without the zipper mod or standing on the ground and pulling the bag on like a potato sack? i was sooo frustrated trying to get myself placed and zipped up and on top of the pad i was sweating by the time i got in place and it froze here last night. surely there must be an easier way-anybody have a way figured out? i can see how the zipper mod would shine but i've spent enough on stuff this winter and the standing on the ground in bag just does not seem like a good idea out in the bush or on a slope.-thx
    practice, practice, practice
    or just replace it with a toploader hammock (that was my solution)
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I use mine as a top quilt, and either a JRB Nest or Exped DAM for insulation below.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I'm alll about the quilts. I went to quilts even while I was still using a tent. Hate sleeping bags, with the fiery passion of the claustrophobe. I'll be in a body bag when I'm dead, I'm all about the sprawling and thrashing in my sleep.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    After the first week I had my Hennessy, I decided that sleeping bags would be something I talked about from my youth; a not so fond memory. I switched to quilts and can't imagine using a bag these days. Zippers inside the hammock just give me a bad vibe. I'm always scared they are going to 'catch' on the fabric.
    Trust nobody!

I pretty much do what DuctTape does, and I've never had a problem. I align the bag on the diagonal first (with the foot end to my left as I'm facing the head end). It hasn't been that big a deal for me.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    It takes a couple of nights to get the hang of it. I don't try to pre-position the bag. Mine seems to slide anywhere it wants to when I climb in. What I do:
    1. Pull the foot of the bag up over my legs to about my butt. Zip up to there.
    2. Arch my back and pull the bag up under me as far as possible.
    3. Sit up, lean forward and pull the top up over my head.

Then finish zipping up to where I want it.

That 3-step process seems to work pretty well for me. The bottom line is, you can't pull the bag under you with your weight on it. In step 1, I get it up as far as I can by lifting my legs. In step 2, I get it past my butt. In step 3, my weight is on my butt, and I pull it up over my back and head.

Step 2 might be the hardest for most people, as you have to be able to arch your back in the hammock. If it doesn't work for you, try rolling on your side for that step.

Hope this helps.

--Kurt

Hammock
    GrizzBridge
    Tarp
    DD Camo
    Images
    thx everyone-now i have some techniques to work on but i better come back in the house for a few nights first

I'll be switching to quilts soon, I used to use my sleeping bag like a quilt anyway when I was a ground dweller so why carry the extra weight. In the hammock because of cold spots at my sholders I tried to get the bag zipped up the first time I used it. I ended up with the zipper under my rear or right up my front. It worked but wasnt comfortable. I havent really liked mummy bags since I passed the 6' mark. Just to claustrophobic for me to get a good night sleep.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast