HH Expedition A-Sym (Zipper Mod)
    Tarp
    HH Poly. Hex
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Images
    Use the sleeping bag as a Quilt most of the time. If it gets too cold (below 40s), sleepingbag mode.
    "This is what i love about backpacking... Just clean your stuff by licking it." - Shug

I use a JRB quilt and had the zipper queen do the mods on my HH I don't have to fight a sleeping bag anymore

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Like you, I really struggled to get into the bag the first two or three times. I hated to get up for a nature call because I had to go thru the process again.
    I don't really know when it happened, but after a few (5?) campouts, I noticed that it just wasn't a problem any more. I think we all eventually come to the same conclusions above, position open bag, sit on it, pull the feet in.
    I did get the zipper mod to simplify things, but have yet to hit the woods.
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    With a good under quilt and a properly rater top quilt zero is a piece of cake...It is not necessary to be "fully bagged" in the hammock....Having to do that at 40* or so just indicates the Top Bag is inadequate in range...

A UQ and TQ function as a "bag"... when more is needed it is probably time for the next season of gear.

I'm biased but I'd bet the majority of UQ users will reinforce that a TQ or Bag used as a TQ/B is all that is necessary and that they seldom, if ever, use a full bag in the hammock.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Maccat deluxe
    Insulation
    sleeping bag, & TQ
    Suspension
    amsteel, treehuger
    Images
    I had the same problem. like most said practice. try getting a ccf pad positioned then the bag and yourself positioned. I'm pretty nimble and it was tough but it gets easier. I did just order some insultex with the group buy and I plan to to make a top quilt/ underquilt. I want to still use my bag in the winter, scrap the pad, and use the top quilt as an underquilt. I'm open to ANY suggestions for plans or ideas. i have checked out several threads here though.

"Hanging in a better place now H.I.P Andy"
    Get a surplus British Army 58 pattern sleeping bag. Heavy but bombproof as long as you don't get em wet. The best thing about this bag is it has a central full length zip so all you do is hop in your hammock bend forward, grab the zip then lie back down while zipping the bag up. Oh, and they are rated down to -12c.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    I pretty much do what DuctTape does, and I've never had a problem. I align the bag on the diagonal first (with the foot end to my left as I'm facing the head end). It hasn't been that big a deal for me.
    Quilts, or using the bag in quilt mode, is for sure a sweet way to go, overall way more comfortable. Particularly if the quilt is wide enough and long enough for you, there should not be any draft problems. I always try to go quilt mode or actually use a quilt which gives me no choice of mode.

Having said that, I must admit that I have had one or two occasions where, when approaching the temp limits of the bag and probably with high winds, I have been either a little cool- too cool for comfort- or actually cold. When I give up and zip up in the bag with hood and neck collar, I have then gone to toasty warm and off to deep sleep. Face it, a significant part of a mummy bag's temp rating is accounted for by the draft sealing properties and super head insulation that comes from the collar and hood adjusted down to a small breathing hole. Terrible for claustrophobes, but toasty!

So, something like DT and TT said should suffice. The key ( with HH or top loader) for me is- assuming you don't want to put your bag on before you get in or you don't have a FF Wren) for me is to get in reverse from normal- the hood goes over my head before I do anything else. Once I do that, the battle is won. So I get in my HH and sit down, pull the hood over my head,lay down and put one foot in the bag ( might work ok with both already in) roll way over on one side almost on my belly and kind of tuck the zipper side of the bag under my side. Then roll way to the other side and pull it the rest of the way so that it is about right fit wise, go to back and zip up. Sounds like a lot written out, but in practice it is a couple of quick moves and I am zipped up hood, collar and all in about a minute. It goes even quicker if you can do as Ducttape said and sit down on the bag first, but be able to guess correctly as to leaving enough bag in the head end of the hammock so that you can pull the hood over your head BEFORE you lay down. As long as I do that, there are really several different and acceptable ways to then get into the bag.

But most of the time, just go quilt mode. Or use an actual wide enough quilt with separate hood, or a Feathered Friends Wren. An actual quilt designed as a quilt from the get go will probably fit better around your neck and shoulders than a mummy bag turned upside down with it's hood in the way, in your face. However, if I lay on my side I can then lay the hood over my head, leaving a little breathing space out to the side. That works pretty dang good, pretty close warmth wise to being zipped in. But on my back in quilt mode that SB bag hood is a PIA and interferes with a good draft seal.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Poly. Hex
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    With a good under quilt and a properly rater top quilt zero is a piece of cake...It is not necessary to be "fully bagged" in the hammock....Having to do that at 40* or so just indicates the Top Bag is inadequate in range...
    I actually believe this to happen due to my pad, also could be my bag... the Zlite worked nice at first, both on ground and the hammock, but the crate shape has flattened out alot, and since this the pad doesnt reach same temps as before alone in the hammock.

Any way, Im awaitng for my SuperShelter. I hope this solves the pad issue and is comfortable enough. Nevertheless, an Underquilt and Quilt combo is my dream sleeping kit...
    "This is what i love about backpacking... Just clean your stuff by licking it." - Shug

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Poly. Hex
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Images
    Oh, and I almost forgot... http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/hi...elter/hthh.htm

Gave me good visual aide on handling the pad and bag in the HH, storage in snakeskins and such things.
    For your issue, Supertramp, check out this part of the site.
    Last edited by elcolombianito; 04-22-2009 at 12:01.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben,Warbonnet
    Insulation
    CaveCreek, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!
    Images
    Since the insulation on the underneath side is getting crushed and is not really insulating, I open mine down to where I still have a footbox, stick my feet in and use it as a quilt. Tuck, Tuck, Tuck. With a UQ it doesn't seem to matter. I've been warm into the 20's using a 20 degree bag in this manner. It's really nice not being mummified!
    “Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared” - Jack Handy

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast