DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Yeah, right - you're becoming less concerned with weight. Ha, ha. That's funny. However, it seems like you'd have to have longer straps using .5" mule tape and the weight would be about equal to shorter straps with more width.

Why does .5" mule tape seem more compressible? I'm not following that.

An 8 ft set of mule tape is much smaller in bulk than a 8 ft set of 1 in webbing. Also my 8 ft mule tape straps weigh 1.2 ounces each vs. 4 ounces each for my 8 ft 1 in webbing straps. I would say the bulk is half the size
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    DH thunderbird, TTTG switchback
    Tarp
    OMW
    Insulation
    pads, -25*UQ,0*TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies, straps
    for the last half of the summer I have been running my tarp line through a 12" hollow webbing when it loops the tree. even if the tree has a larger diameter, the main pressure would be on the opposite side of the tarp and the trees are not that wide. 12" covers the back 1/4 of the tree. the zing it hasn't worn through and I haven't noticed anything on the bark. that said I usually hang with people who have worked forestry. they are trying it as well, just to be on the safe side.
    the one inch straps haven't been a concern with them either. wrap the tree a few times and it doesn't budge=no friction=no wear and tear. as for compression issues, after 5 nights (in wind as well) no marks are left on the tree.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountnman View Post
    An 8 ft set of mule tape is much smaller in bulk than a 8 ft set of 1 in webbing. Also my 8 ft mule tape straps weigh 1.2 ounces each vs. 4 ounces each for my 8 ft 1 in webbing straps. I would say the bulk is half the size
    FIMB is saying that he's doing multiple wraps, which implies longer mule tape. Therefore, he'd have 16 ft. of .5" mule tape versus someone using 8 ft. of 1 inch mule tape - in which case I'd expect the bulk to be the same.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    What people do not understand is that the problem is load/unit area on the tree. If it gets high enough it crushes the inner cambium the tree uses for circulation. That layer is between the bark and the inner wood.

Figure it out. Sticks have to be very strong not to bend under the compression of the webbing so they do vertical damage but leave circulation paths.

Narrow webbing or amsteel have higher loads/unit area so they create a compression scar around the tree cutting off cirulation. Multiple wraps do not address the problem as most of the load is still on the first wrap.

2" is seat belt webbing. 1" is a push. Mule tape is very questionable.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I prefer webbing based suspensions. I would willingly go to 2" webbing if appropriate cinch buckles come available.

I think 1" is adequate, but if various controlling authorities disagree with that assessment, I am strongly disinclined to dig in and make a fight of it.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Imagine carrying 15' of 1.5 webbing or 2" webbing on each side of a hammock,,and a giant Dutch Buckle if just using buckles and webbing for your suspension. Your going to end up carrying a pound of weight. they get radical on this LNT crap,,and I will go back to using 7/64 single strand of amsteel and let them try and catch me. I bet this statement is going to upset a few of yas.!

But!! figure your weight out for 2 inch and what it takes for straps and buckle setup and we, who are using this system, is pretty much screwed on weight savings. As far a hurting trees,,I don't see it after all my hunting escapades, all the farming technics the farmers use to hang fence, barbed wire, and everything else and now we have more trees than ever in the history of forest growth,,and we are going to worry about how we hurt trees. Tell that to the timber industry that clear cuts. And besides,,hammock hangers are in a very big minority compared to other campers and their styles.

I do love and protect my trees on my 40 acres,,I do practice TSI on my property. I do protect my trees I hang from also.

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC BlackBird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    White Cloud, Zeppe
    Suspension
    Whoopies marlinspi
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    I prefer webbing based suspensions. I would willingly go to 2" webbing if appropriate cinch buckles come available.

I think 1" is adequate, but if various controlling authorities disagree with that assessment, I am strongly disinclined to dig in and make a fight of it.
    You could use 2" webbing as tree huggers and then have that attached to a 1" webbing/cinch buckle system. Example: 2" webbing with loops in both ends -- take it around tree and use biner to attach one end to the 2" webbing (like a dutch clip). Then use another biner at the other end of the 2" webbing to attach to the 1" web system.

You can still use a 1" web/cinch buckle setup while still using 2" tree huggers!

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by altruistguy View Post
    You could use 2" webbing as tree huggers and then have that attached to a 1" webbing/cinch buckle system. Example: 2" webbing with loops in both ends -- take it around tree and use biner to attach one end to the 2" webbing (like a dutch clip). Then use another biner at the other end of the 2" webbing to attach to the 1" web system.

You can still use a 1" web/cinch buckle setup while still using 2" tree huggers!
    So right,,your defeating the buckle and strap setup tho. totally.

Take 4' or 5' of 2" webbing with a loop on the end,,sewed to 1" webbing and use a longer toggle or beiner and you keep the dutch buckle and have 2" webbing around a tree. I can go for that. hummm,,still thinking.
    Last edited by Acer; 10-14-2013 at 20:17.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    ...Take 4' or 5' of 2" webbing with a loop on the end,,sewed to 1" webbing.......hummm,,still thinking.
    If I was going to play with this, I would start with polypropylene for the 2" webbing.

I recently received 20' of 2" lightweight polypro webbing and 2" polyester seatbelt webbing from Strapworks.

The 2" polypro only has a 1200 lb breaking strength, but the 20' roll weighs 6.6 oz. compared to the seatbelt webbing roll at 12.5 oz.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    'stead of getting excited at the requirement, which is clearly not impossible to satisfy -- seat belt webbing is nominal 2" (and stronger than needed) -- construct the strap of two parts.

The first part is whatever you like and currently use, in whatever configuration and with whatever buckles are available to you.

The second part runs in parallel to the first, complements it to make up 2"-4" to distribute the load more broadly, but is no longer than 3/4 the circumference of the largest tree you will hang from, and clips onto the first part. IOW we just need to pieces of hardware to convert the single strap to a variable-location sling.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast