Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gqgeek81 View Post
    I get that, and it passes the common sense litmus test...Did you take before and after core samples of the tree and examine them under a microscope? Did you have an untouched control tree to compare the growth to after you hung from these trees?...meet the standards of scientific rigor.
    Common sense in this issue would not be to core the trees to examine damage. Common sense would say that coring the trees will do more damage than observance of damage/lack of damage, a 1" strap could do.

Why damage or kill trees for "science" when science is more than that? There are plenty of scientific methodology that can be done by members of this forum and this forum is public publishing.

Damage to trees are mitigated by the trees themselves. They are built for the abuse by animals other than Human. By the use of cutting tools and such can we then do more damage than wild animals.

Think of the treehouses, hunting treestands, breaking a tree in half by removal of 1 of 2 main trunks that don't kill a tree.

Trees grow around and thru objects like fences, bikes, treestands, roofs, walls, cars, tanks.

Trees have objects absorbed inside of them like bikes, nails, screws, lag bolts, fences, a car, other trees.

Science is proving that the 1" straps are "scientifically acceptable" for use for human suspension of hammock lounging/sleeping and is published here daily in written statements and pictures and video offered as proof to communicate the results for debate.

What lacks is the evidence for long term effect here. In South America though, hammocks have been used for over 500 years. Scientifically speaking, I will miss the thesis paper on this long term study here at home....But I know the results already

Happy hanging.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    HH Hex / Noah 9
    Suspension
    Strap/buckle/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    We recently started offering 1.5" webbing. We have thousands of yards of it. But our supplier, one of the largest in the country, don't make anything any larger. I wonder where they expect folks to come up with 2-4" webbing? It's not a normal size range.
    I've been using polypro webbing from this seller for most all of my hammocking time.
    They have it in 1.5, 2, 3 & 4 inch sizes.
    http://stores.ebay.com/Country-Brook...=p4634.c0.m322
    DKPerdue

Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
    Ronald Reagan, President of the United States

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    Just read the LNT article mentioned and it now says:

"3) As long as ‘tree saver' straps (1-1.5” wide straps that go around the tree to minimize any girdling effects) are used, there is very little impact associated with hammock camping."

It seems to now say 1" straps are the minimum, which I would agree with. I've used 1" straps since I began using a hammock in 2001 and think they work to protect the trees - most of the time. It helps a lot to make two wraps around a tree, if you have enough strapping. I carry about 12' to 15' straps and double wrap most of the time.

While I am thinking of going to 1.5" wide straps, it requires finding a source of other gear, like rings or cinch buckles, that will accept the new wider straps. None of the gear I have will work with the wider straps, but that doesn't mean there isn't anything out there which will. Need to think about his more.

• + New Posts
  • Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526