Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Insulation
    pad/0* sleep bag
    Suspension
    webbing/rings

first night in a hammock; thoughts

Last night was my first experience in a hammock. I am using as cheap a setup as i could come up with and still feel safe in. Eno double nest, little bit of amsteel, some rings, and webbing. Had a cheap blue foam mat under me, and a simple un zipped polyester fill sleeping bag to cover up with. It dropped down to about ~45-50 last night. I slept like a big ole baby, all night long. I was more comfortable that I have ever been while camping. I stayed warm all night. The gentle sway of the hammock put me right to sleep. Like being rocked to sleep by your momma when your little. I camped on top of a mountain last night, tonight im hitting the river. Going to watch the kayakers and find me two nice little trees by the water somewhere, build a fire and lay back in my hammock and relax to the sound of the river tonight. I can't wait. I love my hammock, and I will never sleep on the ground again. You can keep your air mattresses and cots, I will keep my hammock.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaker View Post
    Last night was my first experience in a hammock. I am using as cheap a setup as i could come up with and still feel safe in. Eno double nest, little bit of amsteel, some rings, and webbing. Had a cheap blue foam mat under me, and a simple un zipped polyester fill sleeping bag to cover up with. It dropped down to about ~45-50 last night. I slept like a big ole baby, all night long. I was more comfortable that I have ever been while camping. I stayed warm all night. The gentle sway of the hammock put me right to sleep. Like being rocked to sleep by your momma when your little. I camped on top of a mountain last night, tonight im hitting the river. Going to watch the kayakers and find me two nice little trees by the water somewhere, build a fire and lay back in my hammock and relax to the sound of the river tonight. I can't wait. I love my hammock, and I will never sleep on the ground again. You can keep your air mattresses and cots, I will keep my hammock.
    WhooHoo! Welcome to the life, Blaker, and what an excellent 1st try, even with a pad! Just goes to show that it can be done even with just a WM pad!

Hammock
    DL with Bug Net
    Tarp
    Guid Gear Cat Cut
    Insulation
    Down UQ, SB TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

first night in a hammock; thoughts

My first hammock was a ENO DN as well and I still use it at home a lot, I normally take my WBBB when in the woods though but you can definitely get a good nights rest in a ENO

Insulation
    pad/0* sleep bag
    Suspension
    webbing/rings
    yeah, i cant really say anything bad about the pad. For the warmer nights like last night, I will probably stick with it for now.

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    That is a fine first night report.
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Insulation
    pad/0* sleep bag
    Suspension
    webbing/rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
    That is a fine first night report.
    Thank you. I honestly enjoyed myself about as much as one could...I used to camp a lot. Over the past few years I found that I was camping less and less. Finally I decided this was due to sleeping arrangements. I grew up camping in a tent, but lately I just found that I did not enjoy anything about a tent. They are hot and stuffy if its not cold outside. They usually have that musty smell even though you cleaned it. Sleeping on the ground, even though im fairly young, did a toll on my knees and back. I find that I no longer like air matresses either. AND the number one reason I no longer like tents, they confine me. They trigger my slight closterphobia, however you spell it. And, I dont like not being able to open my eyes and scan my surroundings without actually getting up. Oh and something else i just remembered, if someone has to use the bathroom in the middle of the night the zipper on the door always woke me up even if they were in a seperate tent.

I plan to slowly upgrade my equipment as does everyone im sure. But for now, I only plan on doing fall camping and i am fairly confident that i will be able to get by with just the foam pad. I wanted to pull the trigger on some uq's and tq's but my funds just didnt allow it. I recently quit my job to go back to college... I am second guessing that move, but keeping my fingers crossed that it works out in the long run....anyway, back on topic, yea i plan to slowly upgrade as i can....I do have some student loan money coming in around february i think....camping gear is considered a necessity for school, right?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    JRB Mt. Washington
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Yep, really beats sleeping on the ground. I am glad you're first experience was so positive, and think you're strategy of staying with your simple setup as you gain knowledge of potential equipment upgrades is very sound thinking.

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    Totally agree Blaker. Ground pounds my body. I like being elevated much more. It is like a whole new start, a fresh slate to enjoy something I love to do, be outdoors.
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Welcome to the elevated perspective! I was the same as you. Hated sleeping on the thin Thermarest pads. I was never comfortable on the ground. It's good that you are comfortable with what you have. No need to rush upgrading. Good luck at College and hopefully it will lead to good things for you.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Now that is a hanger who gets it Nothing better than hanging near the water with a fire and the sound of the river in the background
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast