Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Suspension
    Readystraps
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    Another interesting twist to the strap discussion is what I learned from the LNT center a few weeks ago when discussing their blog post about hammocks. They recommend 2-inch webbing straps _or wider_. When I spoke with their education director he said this came out of discussions with the different land agents they work with. This was the first reference I've ever had that ultra-wide straps were being recommended. Here on the forum, it seems we're going the other way -- looking for thinner strapping as a means to save weight and use smaller hardware devices.
    Another member of HF had me make up some custom straps that were his idea and I thought was a pretty good one.
    He had me stitch an 8'L piece of 1" to a 5'L piece of 2" for around the tree.
    Makes it nice because you have the tree protection but without the weight of carrying around a 15' piece of 2" strap.

Hammock
    Simply Light Tree Runner SL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 8x10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts Top/Btm
    Suspension
    Whoopies!!
    Quote Originally Posted by LostinSpace View Post
    Another member of HF had me make up some custom straps that were his idea and I thought was a pretty good one.
    Makes it nice because you have the tree protection but without the weight of carrying around a 15' piece of 2" strap.
    I have seen this done with webbing and whoopies.

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Suspension
    Readystraps
    Quote Originally Posted by SkunkApe View Post
    I have seen this done with webbing and whoopies.
    They must have eye's on the 2" tree strap to connect the whoopie slings to? Or do they actually sew the whoopie slings on?
    I know what you mean about hanging dangerously
    I get bored easy too.
    this is me hanging off of a 300' cliff. I know amsteel is good strong stuff but, Man! I like looking at 1" wide strap hooked to a biner when I'm laying there.

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC BlackBird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    White Cloud, Zeppe
    Suspension
    Whoopies marlinspi
    Cool idea!

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images

And also can be used with cinch buckles or dutch buckles.

Lost in space- can you post the pictures that you took and sent to me when you made them, i cannot find the pics,

I found them, take a look at these, they are really not that heavy but they are very tree friendly and secure as your gonna get!.

I call them the scarey straps, and Gary (lost in space) made these up at a very reasonable price, very well made and i think it is a safe working load rated for 897lbs, tell him you want a pair of scareystraps!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Zilla; 10-14-2013 at 10:20.

I bought 10yds 1.5" poly webbing 2000 lb load in camo colour for $8.95 + shipping. All up under $15 from Country Brook Design

I might buy some seatbelts from a car wrecker and make some straps from those too.
    Last edited by Tinstaafl; 10-14-2013 at 13:26.

Hammock
    TrekLight Double /DIY HH/DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    GuideGear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    JCP DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling 7/64
    I went with 1,500 1" straps for the size, weight, and feel. Additionally the 1" works very well with the standard items seen - items from Dutch, Cinch buckles from readystrap, descender rings, buckles from Arrowhead, etc.

With many users, and cottage vendors making products aimed at 1" webbing, i don't see any reason to go larger.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by samjaynes View Post
    I went with 1,500 1" straps for the size, weight, and feel. Additionally the 1" works very well with the standard items seen - items from Dutch, Cinch buckles from readystrap, descender rings, buckles from Arrowhead, etc.

With many users, and cottage vendors making products aimed at 1" webbing, i don't see any reason to go larger.
    The reason that i had these made is that not only in several state and federal parks they have determand that 1 inch around the tree is not wide enough, they have in some cases required 1 1/2 straps around the tree.
    For me in nj i have had rangers make me take down my 1 inch setup, as well as my tarp ridgeline (made from zing it).

These custom straps solve all of the rangers concerns as well as they are still 1 inch on the end where you can still use your cinch buckles,rings,and your dutch buckles.
    Its the best of both words, right now i have on my set up thiese custom straps that go aroung the tree at 2 inch thickness then lead down to 1 inch where i have my dutch buckle and where i use my diy whoopies.

Very versatile and keeps the rangers at bay!

IMO These straps cover all the bases and will work with any config, with one exception, you cant use dutchclips on the tree end until Dutch comes uot with the dutchclip for 2 inch webbing, .
    As the regulations and rules become harsher the need for them is only inevitable.

Not a big problem, you can simply run the end of the 1 inch thru the 2 inck loop or use a biner!, the ones i had made where of 3,000 lb strenth but you can have them made from 1,500 as well if you are trying to keep the weight down, i am a camper not a hiker so how heavy they might be does not matter to me.
    Last edited by Zilla; 10-16-2013 at 10:30.

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    This is actually being discussed in the suspension subforum, as LNT has new recommendations on webbing.

Here's what I said over there..

I actually noticed 1" webbing biting into the bark of the pines we were hanging from at fall NEHHA at least on my rig, and the rigs around me.

In response, I picked up a pair of 1.5" to swap out if I'm ever going to a softwood forest again.

I've never noticed damage with 1" straps on hardwoods, but then again, I rarely return to the site again a year or more later. There may be girdling occurring from small width straps that we're not in a position to know about, but rangers and forest control managers are.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ Ambush
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    This is a great question and topic. I wonder how much this has been researched and documented. Also, maybe some local university students would be willing to do some testing, perhaps from a school that specializes in botany.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast