Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Least expensive/Best Value

There seems to be an increase in the underquilts that are available for hammocks now. I was wondering if anyone has used a variety of different ones could provide input. I really like the JRB but the complete set is cost prohibitive. I also get concerned with Down, there is the KAQ, the HH UC (I have a HH Expedition)
    What other options are there what provides the best value. I would ideally like to hang 4 seasons here in the Northeast and have done down to 20 degrees with a pad and supplemental clothing under me but it was not that comfortable (I was plenty warm though) TIA

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.0
    Tarp
    Nothing atm....
    Insulation
    Costco down throws
    Suspension
    WBBB Line/Strap
    Images
    The KAQ is probably your best best especially with the new version for non-HH hammocks that should only cost $120 granted it is synthetic but climashield is definitely one of the best out there in terms of weight to warmth ratio and compressibility. Not quite as good as high fill power down but certainly much more economical.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I am very pleased with the HH Super Shelter. I have no experience with the newly commercial KAQ. I do like the Super Shelter better than my DIY KAQ
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushthezeppelin View Post
    The KAQ is probably your best best...
    did you get one? im curious to see it in action.

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.0
    Tarp
    Nothing atm....
    Insulation
    Costco down throws
    Suspension
    WBBB Line/Strap
    Images
    Unfortunately not yet but I'm very seriously contemplating on getting one when I get my BB......120 bucks is hard to beat.

BTW I see you finally broke down and got a bird. Do you like it better than your bridges?

Hammock
    hammock
    Tarp
    tarp
    Insulation
    UQ
    Images
    I spent a lot of time trying to decide which way to go. Speer, JRB, KAQ and at some point, warbonnet all offer great products, and great service. I ended up going with the KAQ, mainly because Mrprez was so responsive when I had questions, and was willing to do some customization (which ended up being a PITA for him) that I asked for. I have not regretted the purchase for a moment. I really doubt that I ever will either.

I also have a HH Expedition. The fit of the KAQ is perfect. Not to say that the others wouldn't fit too...

Just so you know. The price on kickassquilts.com isn't $120. It's $180.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Take no offense Boghog1, but are you a weenie? In other words, does weight matter to you? If so, take a long hard look at the Yetis from Warbonnet. I know they will be on the market again very soon and with some pretty impressive weight savings in the newest design. They are inline with the KAQ pricing, but down instead of syn. They are torso length (little longer than most torsos) so you need something under your feet. Pack, pads, extra clothes all work fine for under the feet.

The only commercially available uqs I've used are the SnugFit and the Yetis. I've got a few JRB quilts, but have not used them as uqs. The HH undercover doesn't really count in my mind as an underquilt, but it does seem to be effective to a point; just not as comfy. Then, ENO is about to start shipping their new uq design which is synthetic and in the $200 range. They are all good, but each have their strengths. What is your primary need/desire/want?
    Trust nobody!

I'm looking for light weight but I am not really a weenie, I will take a little extra weight for comfort or durability, that was the reason for the Expedition over the ULBA I really like the looks of the black bird but since the bride bought me the HH for my birthday I think I should use it for at least a year before going for a new hammock. back on topic I'll have to keep my eye out for the Yeti

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I'm weighing the options on UQs at the moment as well - I was originally leaning toward going for lowest possible cost, but now I'm weighing the priorities a bit. I've probably got it narrowed down to the Warbonnet Yeti or the JRB Mt Washington 3-season. Seeing as how neither is actually available right now, I've got some time to make a decision

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    The HH undercover doesn't really count in my mind as an underquilt,
    I can see the point of that statement. I guess I hadn't taken the thought to that extreme. As far as comfort is concerned, I must admit I have not had any experience with commercial products but I find the SS way more comfortable than my DIY crud. I know that's not a whole lot of saying anything though given what the DIY crud was.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast