Simply light designs - simplicity asym tarp

Anyone have or used this tarp? Im looking for a cheap tarp to cover a 11ft hammock with a 110 ridge line. Says the ridge line is 140 inches so that should be good right? $59 and 9 oz seems legit.

Also newbie question regarding lay..... head left feet right is a "right lay" correct? Head to the left edge and feet to the right edge. I ordered my DH based on their description of a right lay.

Thanks.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I have this tarp, and it's great over my SLD Trail Lair. It's light, it covers my hammock very precisely, and it's beautifully made with mini Beasties on the ridgeline corners and LineLoc 3s on the side tie-outs. The craftsmanship and thinking that went into it is pretty apparent.

Yes, if your feet hang right, your lay is "right". Most hammockers (presumably predominately right-handed) seem to hang in right lay, so a lot of manufacturers (HH, WB, et. al.) make the bulk of their hammocks in right lay. (I happen to be right-handed, but I prefer a left lay in my hammock, so I'm glad my SLD hammock has tie-outs for either direction and my SLD tarp was available in a left lay version...)

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    A cheap tarp over a Dream Hammock??? Seems backwards to me........

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S and SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post
    A cheap tarp over a Dream Hammock??? Seems backwards to me........
    Not cheap. Inexpensive is a better word. Super high quality.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mychal View Post
    Not cheap. Inexpensive is a better word. Super high quality.
    Inexpensive or cheap (to quote the OP), my point is WHY blow the budget on, most likely, a first hammock and then try to save money on the only thing protecting that hammock from the elements??

I know as well as anybody the quality, and value, of Jared's products.

I would say its a cost effective solution for weather protection. I've had mine a couple years and I use it primarily over my eno for day lounging at the beach. But I do use it with my 10 foot trail lair for some overnight trips. It provides decent coverage for rain if its pitched low and the rains coming straight down. One thing to remember is that the price is directly related to how much material is used...the bigger the tarp, the higher the price. The craftsmanship is on par with everything else that Jared does. The line locs and beastie rings are nice, plus it packs down to the size of a grapefruit. SLD also makes a larger version of the tarp that really improves the coverage.

As with any tarp or gear setup. Practice, practice and more practice. Be familiar with how to pitch it in a variety of conditions and build your own level of confidence.

I, personally, want nothing less than a hex in terms of coverage, no matter how well it's made. The weight, space, and cost savings of a diamond just doesn't fit how I do things. I'm sure it's just the ticket for some people under certain circumstances.

It sure seems though, based on what I've read on the forum, that SLD puts out high quality products.
    Last edited by TominMN; 07-13-2016 at 09:56.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair/WB XLC
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    HG, WB and WL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    I would say its a cost effective solution for weather protection. I've had mine a couple years and I use it primarily over my eno for day lounging at the beach. But I do use it with my 10 foot trail lair for some overnight trips. It provides decent coverage for rain if its pitched low and the rains coming straight down. One thing to remember is that the price is directly related to how much material is used...the bigger the tarp, the higher the price. The craftsmanship is on par with everything else that Jared does. The line locs and beastie rings are nice, plus it packs down to the size of a grapefruit. SLD also makes a larger version of the tarp that really improves the coverage.

As with any tarp or gear setup. Practice, practice and more practice. Be familiar with how to pitch it in a variety of conditions and build your own level of confidence.

Looks like a great spot to hang Dave!

Yep, Jared does some great work and ships super fast. Can't go wrong with any of his stuff!
    -Jameson
    Proud Member of the North Country Trail Association-Hiawatha Shore to Shore Chapter
    http://www.northcountrytrail.org/

Hammock
    ENO Sub7
    Tarp
    Simplicity Asym
    I just got mine last week, have only set it up a couple times to get familiar with it but, so far I'm liking it. Mine according to my scale weighs 6oz in the stuff sack.

• + New Posts