Hammock
    DIY - Single Layer and Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Thanks folks. That's the info I needed. I agree that the small extra weight of 1/4 more quilt is the lightest way to go IF its cold enough to need something under your feet. For me I usually don't if its only 20F. Since the TX-250 has pockets right where my feet will be I'm thinking I could stuff my down jacket in there an basically extend the insulated area by about a foot by my feet.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Ahhh, the NX pockets extend from the shoulders to the thighs. A full length UQ would provide the convenience and comfort of lying in the hammock without lying on top of any pads or gear, and still have easy access to gear in the pockets below me from inside the hammock. BTW, have you looked at Underground Quilts?
    Brian
    (formerly Oblique Angler)

Job 41:1, 2

`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´><((((º>¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸

Hammock
    DIY - Single Layer and Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    I have a TX and the pockets are on the extreme ends. The 48 inches in the middle of the hammock has no pockets. The 3/4 underquilt will mostly fit between the pockets. I did look at underground ... really nice stuff ... good prices ... didnt want to wait that long.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    The AHE quilt packs down to twice the volume of a down quilt. Not in this thread, but elsewhere folks repeatedly compare with pics the size of a packed quilt / bag to that of a Nalgene water bottle. That's not much help when the size of that water bottle isn't stated, when volume is the cube of any one of the two dimensions you eyeball, and when the package is always larger than the bottle. By my estimate, the package sometimes has 2-3 times the volume.

I can tell you from experience that while it seems you can pack a down garment down ever more, or pack it around things, if so inclined, to stuff a Climashield garment into a container can be real work if the container is small. So, better be sure the seams are strong.

In your particular: I can just include a 30F 3/4 quilt in the Clark stuffsack along with the 250 (w its weathershield). More easily with an NX150, and handily with an older Clark UL. No way with even a 3/4 AHE Lawst River.

None of that against the Climashield garment. As clothing and as an UQ, I have not found the stiffness and lack of drape to be an issue for retaining warmth. Of course in clothing, that's what zippers and elastic cuffs are about. As a top top quilt, OTOH, there are sealing issues.

BTW: No issue with cold feet and 3/4 UQ until last night and low-for-season 43F temps. Time to fit a foam pad in the footbox of the TQ.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr
    Tarp
    OEM
    Insulation
    AHE White Cloud
    Suspension
    OEM
    Litetrek: I have a TX-250 and use the Clark 1-piece Z-Liner instead of an underquilt. The 1 piece Z-Liner is made from climashield and no way it packs as small as down would -- but it covers the entire bottom and sides of the hammock from gathered end to gathered end and up the sides right to the weathershield zippers. Fits perfectly (as you might expect). Warm below and through the shoulders too (plus feet, of course). There is no adjusting or snugging up the Z-Liner with suspension cords because it has none and needs none. The velcro puts the liner exactly where it belongs.

I don't backpack much anymore -- almost all motorcycle and jeep camping so the extra bulk (and weight) of synthetic insullation is really not a problem for me.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by litetrek View Post
    Since the TX-250 has pockets right where my feet will be I'm thinking I could stuff my down jacket in there an basically extend the insulated area by about a foot by my feet.

Because, yes, the foot-area of the TX has pockets ready to accept some of the extra -layers you are wearing during times when you'd want the insulation of a 3/4 UQ.

While I have more NX's than I should, and the bare appearance of them is certainly cool, 6 pockets for me are overkill; and the placement of the pockets is not optimal, as they are covered by the down UQ I prefer to use.

So after two years of near-nightly use for outdoor sleep, currently at temps in the 30s and 40s, I'll give a try to stuffing the foot-end pockets of a TX with some clothing, and see if I prefer that to the sit-pad in the TQ foot box I've used.

Images
    Hi Brian. Have you ever tried to use one of your Stephenson's tops as a underquilt? I have the Stephenson's Warmlight too, and have been trying to think of a way to attach the top to the under. My initial thought was to use hook and loop, but I'm still in the process of evaluating the benefits.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Miller View Post
    My Stephenson Warmlite 3R tent is designed for high altitude and polar expeditions and is a palace for 2. My Warmlite Triple down bag with a down insulated air mattress has a comfort range in its various configurations from 50° to -30° or lower, and is very comfortable. With a partner carrying 3 lbs of cooking gear and food to split the load it keeps the weight and volume down for both. I can't imagine any hammock & tarp system would be as suitable as a Warmlite tent and bag in cold & deep snow.

But from what I've read here a NX-250 or TX-250 with its weather shield and a full length 20° UQ and 40° TQ is toasty to 30° @ 48 oz. With a light fleece TQ I think I could easily take it to 50°. The way I see it I'd have to put something under my legs and I don't know what would be lighter and take up less pack volume than 1/4 of an UQ.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12