Option 1 or 2 or ...?

Hi.

I took time to read as much as i can here before asking question. Still a lot of things i am not sure to fully understand. I mainly do bicycle touring (as lightly loaded as possible) with a few hikes each year. I usually travel with my wife. We use a Bilgy tarp tent. It weight 3 lbs complete (groundsheet, stake and all). We take around 1.5 lbs each. I plan to do a few short solo tour this year. I could take the Tarp tent BUT i don't find really funny to crawl to the ground. It is much easier to sit on my Risk test hammock. I slept once in it last year. I was feeling great but a bit cold.

Now, for my solo tour, i would like to use a hammock. Ideally a 2 lbs setup would be nice (lighter than Bilgy tarp tent, more comfortable and hopefully a bit more compact inside my panniers). I don't want to spend too much since i will use it (at first) a few times each year. I was thinking a 2 layers hammock to use a pad for insulation (i will not do cold hammocking). Bugnet is important to me. Fast setup would be nice. Ground setup possibility could be interesting too.

What do you think of:

Option 1: Claytor Mosquito Hammock. It is listed at 1.5 lbs. Dual layer. Bugnet. Suspension could be modified for easier setup. Cheap at 70$ US (I am canadian) shipped. I could use my PU coated tarp at worst (weight too much) or sew a silnylon one. Easy solution but even with a light tarp, can i reach 2 lbs?

Option 2: Sew a 2 layer hammock. i was thinking 1.1 ripstop and no-see-um netting. Maybe with Just Jeff nice How-to. I could sew a light tarp too.

Option 3 or more: ??

How light could i expect my 1.1 ripstop 2 layers hammock to be?

Could you tell me how light is a 8 X 8 1.1 silnylon tarp?

How much lighter could be option 2 over option 1? Worth it if i don't have too much time?

Hom many different bugnet solutions?

Thanks for your help!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY cat diamond
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & OQ
    Images
    If you are set on using a pad consider sewing a double layer bridge hammock. I recently made my first one and it came in at less than 2 lbs including suspension. However that will require a larger tarp to cover than a speer type. I find the trade-off to be worth it for the added comfort of the bridge hammock.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    a double layer speer type is simply a matter of making a speer hammock with two layers. No harder really than making a single layer. I can't say anything about weight, but the difficulty level is minor if you have even moderate DIY chops. If you want to use a pad definitely go with the two layer.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Warbonnet Blackbird. Double layer 1.1 for 24oz with bugnet.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    1.1 oz Silnylon generally weighs an actual 1.3oz (weights are taken before waterproofing applications are added).

8'*8' tarp with that sil will probably weigh in at around 12oz with reinforcements and webbing tie outs (9.244 oz just for the sil at 1.3oz/yd).

Hitting 2lbs including your tarp, hammock, and suspension is going to be tight. Just the material, using 1.1oz, for the double layer hammock will be 12.22 oz (10'*5' material). Call it 13 with the thread. To minimize weight, use Warbonnet's method of end gathering and a larks head suspension attachment. You'll probably need amsteel blue as your suspension to keep the weight to strength ratio workable.

You may want to cut down the second layer of your hammock for weight - maybe center a 6' lower piece on the 10' main piece. That make sense? You don't need the second layer full length if it's only for a pad insert. If it's for strength, you'll need to go full length.

For bug net, perhaps the risk style, sewed on one side, draped over the other with pockets where you can put gear in it to hold it down.

Keep us posted on what you come up with.

I'll toss in some links in this post to give you a better idea of what I'm talking about later when I have time.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I was thinking a 2 layers hammock to use a pad for insulation (i will not do cold hammocking). Bugnet is important to me. Fast setup would be nice. Ground setup possibility could be interesting too.
    The Claytor MH will be hard to beat since bugnet and ground setup are priorities. The MH will make a bivy very easily but it hurts my back just to say that. Changing the Webbing to amsteel cord would save some weight. Making a 2 layer hammock is fairly easy and the instructions in sclittlefield's post are great if you do the DIY.

Probably Claytor

I think i will take the Claytor Mosquito Hammock road. I want dual layer for sure (pad) .I may need to go to the ground. I am not sure but will have to begin hammocking while bike touring to know. They MH will do it easily from what i read here. I could use my tarp for testing and make a lighter one later. I plan to use a lenght of Amsteel blue rope and buckle rings at the hammock end and biner + 1 inch polyester webbing to the three ends. It will be easily adjustable and an easy mod.

If i like it like i am almost sure i will, i could easily make a new lighter one this fall. I'd like to convert my wife too. I begin to hate cramming into a front entry tent (mine is pretty light at 3lbs for 2 people) and going to the ground. It is a lot easier to sit in the hammock and relax. Time will tell!

Thanks!

• + New Posts