Tarp
    OES
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps & TriGlides
    Images

JRB UQ/TQ Compression Question

I have an JRB Old Rag Mtn TQ and a Mt. Washington UQ that I use for the non-summer months here in NS. What are the pitfalls, if any of the standard compression bags? Are they really water-proof? Is there a length of time afterwhich the quilts should be let out to breath? Is compression hard on the internal baffles?

In between hikes they are stored in the breathable bags they came with.

Just looking for some feedback to maximize my investment. Thanks in advance.
    Todd K. Miller

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I try to compress my down as little as possible, for as short a time as possible. If you're going to be using compression bags, just make sure your quilts are only in them for as long as they need to be and plan on them taking a little longer to loft back up. Lots of folks have reported compressing their down bags to a little ball. I know one guy that packs up his down bag into a cantaloupe sized wad when it goes in his pack. He told me he has had the down bag for about 6 years. It still lofts up nice and pretty.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    it's stored by the down processor plant in a pretty compressed form as well.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by toddkmiller View Post
    I have an JRB Old Rag Mtn TQ and a Mt. Washington UQ that I use for the non-summer months here in NS. What are the pitfalls, if any of the standard compression bags? Are they really water-proof? Is there a length of time afterwhich the quilts should be let out to breath? Is compression hard on the internal baffles?

In between hikes they are stored in the breathable bags they came with.

Just looking for some feedback to maximize my investment. Thanks in advance.
    Todd,

The JRB Compression sack is silnyl.... so it is waterproof to about 2 psi.... same as all sil...The seam is not sealed as shipped....Being unsealed it is easier to get the air out when packing up in the field....It is easy to seam seal the bottom then the side seam....To seal the bottom turn the CS inside out, load the CS then seal the "H" shaped seam with SilNet....After letting it dry for a day....Turn it right side out, stuff it then seal the side seam...We recommend leaving the top three inches or so unsealed, again, it makes it easier to get the air out.

Preferably down quilts /bag should be uncompressed daily....Short periods of a weekend or even a week of compression will not adversely impact your quilts.

FWIW, the JRB CS allow for relatively uncompressed (ie stuff sack like use), or they give you, the user, the ability to compress the quilt about another 25% as your needs vary....

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    Do you stuff the quilt or roll it? I remember reading recently about damaged down "ribbons" due to rolling on the down sleeping bag while asleep (in that case) or excessive stuffing.

TH
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Images
    There seems to be a lot of contradictory information out there about whether it's better to stuff or roll down. "They" say that stuffing puts sheer forces on it, while rolling makes the ribbons. Someone linked a major sleeping bag manufacturer (Mountain hardware maybe?) that very specifically said NOT to stuff, but I'm pretty sure I've read where other manufacturers said it was ok.

Seems to me that in this age of science/medicine/space travel we still don't know how to carry our dang quilts. I think I'm just going to hang mine around my neck like a cape. That'll show "them".

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Been stuffing down bags and quilts for 25 years with absolutely no issues....in fact my son's 25 year old bag is still in great shape.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    My Rocky Mtn. Sniveler has been stuffed and unstuffed more times than I care to think about. In fact, I remembered last evening that I still had all of my quilts in the back of my truck. They had been in there, stuffed in their stuff sacks, inside a couple of large containers for a week.

One at a time they were fed into the dryer with tennis balls. It's the best my RMS has looked in a while. All nice and soft and fluffy and warm and MINE!

Maybe I buy-in a little on the concept that over time stuffing a quilt will cause some damage, but I suspect it's more likely to be in the form of a blown-out baffle than damage (significant) to the down. Rolling a quilt probably reduces that risk, but increases the likelihood of 'ribbons' forming in your down. I don't think there is a way to not damage something as fragile as down eventually.

I'm all for taking care of my expensive gear, but I also know it's not going to last and perform forever. I'm still betting that my down quilts outlast any vehicle I'm driving. Last time I checked, even the most expensive (normal sized) quilt is about the same as a typical car payment; a payment. If I get 5 years of good, solid use from a $340 piece of gear then it's still money very well spent IMO. I fully expect my quilts to outlast 5 years, so the deal just gets better.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler/Blackbird
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images

Compressing down

I've been using a pair of JRB quilts (Nest/Sniveler) for close to 2 years now, with I'm guessing around 50 nights of use. I tend to compress them fairly aggressively in order to fit everything I usually carry into my ULA Conduit. They still seem to be lofting up just as well now as when I purchased them.

I still have not felt the need to wash them or do the tennis ball in the dryer thing. I never let them touch the ground, and always wear clothing to bed so perhaps I do not transfer much body oil or stink to the quilt. I have had them get wet on a few trips, but just draping them out to dry seems to work fine. I would be curious to hear about what other people's philosophy is on maintenance and how frequently they wash their quilts. Am I pressing my luck?

BTW, I also lay my quilts out flat and lofted in between trips when not in use.
    Last edited by drewboy; 05-08-2009 at 09:19.

when you think about it the quilts (top or bottom) or sleeping bags aren't stuffed and compressed for that long. When you get home take them out and lay them on a bed to loft backup. Mine stay on the bed until I get ready for another trip.
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast