Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by drewboy View Post
    I would be curious to hear about what other people's philosophy is on maintenance and how frequently they wash their quilts. Am I pressing my luck?
    My maintenance plan consists of storing them uncompressed; that's about it. I generally throw them in the dryer with tennis balls when they've been used a few dozen times. Wash? I've washed my RMS twice and my Shenandoah once. I haven't washed any of my underquilts or my other topquilts. Both the RMS and the Shenandoah were carried and used on the AT for prolonged periods and I wanted to get the oils out of them.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    BMBH /WBBB 1.7DBL
    Tarp
    WB SF / OES MC DLX
    Insulation
    JRB down TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    WS + dutchstuff

thread resurrection!

hi guys,

I did a search on this topic, because I was looking to ask almost exactly the same question about my MW4 and ORM quilts. I have no issue with the weight of them just the packed size.

As a side-issue, it's interesting how words/concepts can have different meanings on both sides the Atlantic. I think the JRB site says the quilts can be compressed down to "the size of a melon". I think, over here, most folk would relate that to a 'yellow' melon, whereas "over there" I'm guessing the standard would be a water melon?

...anyway...! If I got some compression sacks, how small could I get them for weekend / three or four day trips and not damage them? They're stored lofted anyway. Both those quilts take up a fair bit of the pack.

Ta

D

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by donmacn View Post
    hi guys,

I did a search on this topic, because I was looking to ask almost exactly the same question about my MW4 and ORM quilts. I have no issue with the weight of them just the packed size.

As a side-issue, it's interesting how words/concepts can have different meanings on both sides the Atlantic. I think the JRB site says the quilts can be compressed down to "the size of a melon". I think, over here, most folk would relate that to a 'yellow' melon, whereas "over there" I'm guessing the standard would be a water melon?

...anyway...! If I got some compression sacks, how small could I get them for weekend / three or four day trips and not damage them? They're stored lofted anyway. Both those quilts take up a fair bit of the pack.

Ta

D
    Did you get the JRB compression stuff sacks with the JRB quilts? If so, then about the size of those sacks for normal use and then I would say at least about another 25% smaller- after compression.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    ALCON,

The routine compressed size of JRB quilts top or under by season is

Summers 7x7x5 inches
    3 Seasons 7x7x8 inches
    Winters 8x8x9 inches

And that is in the original JRB Compression/stuff sack that comes with the quilts... JRB CS come in two sizes...Size regular with summers and 3 seasons, size large with winter quilts and JRB large family quilts.

As stated in several preveous comments, compressing does not dammage the down, especially if unpacked, fluffed and used daily or stored uncompressed at home.

If, when, down appears to loose loft... it is probably time to wash and dry a quilt...Instructions come with each JRB quilt... FTR, I have personnaly washed numberous quilts, one was washed 8 times without detrimental effects/

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12