GTSB-Pro/DIY
    Tarp
    Hen. Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps/whoopies

Making a pad work

We recently ordered an Underground Quilts 0 degree top quilt. We bought it sized to fit our very tall, broad shoulderd, eldest son for when he camps with us. When he is not camping with us, my husband gets to call the topquilt his!
    How low a temperature will he be able to do a topquilt/blue pad combo? Before we got our underquilts, we were very warm with our 5 degree down sleeping bags and pads. Zipping up seemed to keep warmth in. Will there be a difference with a topquilt and cold spots and drafts given the narrowness of the blue pad? Would it be better to make the pad wider and tape another piece to it? He's a big guy so wider would be better. The blue pad is so stiff, so I wonder if that would be very uncomfortable.
    He has a Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter. We were camping last weekend, and in the morning I could see his legs were up over the suspension. We swiched him to a much longer and wider DIY tablecloth hammock and he was so much more comfortable. I ordered him another tablecloth so his could be a double and the pad can go inbetween.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    I am a pad user when the mercury drops. Some hammocks seem to work better with pads than others. I have had a SBpro, while the pads will work it is not optimum for than hammock. The width of the pad may be an issue too. I would suggest an additional blue ccf pad cut to length so it can be laid perpendicular to the other pad. Place it to wrap ones shoulders and hips.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Durangoz View Post
    How low a temperature will he be able to do a topquilt/blue pad combo? Before we got our underquilts, we were very warm with our 5 degree down sleeping bags and pads. Zipping up seemed to keep warmth in. Will there be a difference with a topquilt and cold spots and drafts given the narrowness of the blue pad? Would it be better to make the pad wider and tape another piece to it? He's a big guy so wider would be better. ...
    TQ drafts are potentially a problem regardless of pad width, or even with a wide UQ replacing a pad. Don't get me wrong, a lot of us use TQs with good results. But a few have struggled with drafts either around the shoulders/neck ( less likely if the the TQ has a means of cinching down around the neck) or anywhere along the length. And the bigger and wider you are relative to the size of the TQ, and/or the more you move in your sleep the easier it is to have a draft. Some people have no problems at all, but others do. I think in my case there was actually a learning curve and maybe some sort of training of the subconscious ( or whatever) on how to move in my sleep without opening a cold air inlet somewhere along the quilt. That and until I got an actual TQ, I had problems with my bags hood interfering with the neck seal. But I even do pretty good with the bag as quilt these days.
    But I'd say depending on the users size, wider is better not just for a pad but for the TQ, if drafts are your concern. There is an advantage, warmth and draft wise to being zipped in a bag, or inside a PeaPod. But as per Ducttape's post, he will most likely need a wider pad for the shoulders/hips than the 20" wide WM blue pad, when sleeping in a hammock.

Hammock
    Switchback 1.9DL
    Tarp
    10x12 TTTG CatCut
    Insulation
    PolarPod
    Suspension
    TTTG Ring Buckle
    Images
    I use a pad down to the low 40's, sometimes the low 30's (not on purpose) but I use a lg Thermarest RidgeRest which is 25"x77". I did not have luck with a 20" pad, kept waking up with a cold right shoulder. The extra 5" fixed that. You can tape on "wings" w/duct tape, or if you can sew, the SPE (Segmented Pad Extender) is an easy project. The "blue pad" is a bit stiff and not as comfortable to me as the Ridgerest, which is a softer ccf. As DuctTape & BillyBob58 said, make sure the hips & shoulders are covered.
    Beer won't solve problems, but then again, neither will milk !
    Designer of the Switchback Hammock
    Tree to Tree Trail Gear:http://tttrailgear.com

Hammock
    GTSB-Pro/DIY
    Tarp
    Hen. Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps/whoopies
    Thank you for the replies. I will see about making the pad wider. I have also been looking at the Gossemer Gear pad, it is wider and softer.

Hammock
    Grizz style Bridge
    Insulation
    Primaloft PL-1 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide
    Darby,
    How do you backpack the 25x77" pad? I have one for my bridge, which I really like, but rolled up it's huge and I haven't backpacked with it due to the size. I am 5'8" and generally use a GG Mariposa pack.
    Ed
    Ed

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    With a Mariposa, roll the pad and use the y-strap to hold it on the top of the pack.

Hammock
    Grizz style Bridge
    Insulation
    Primaloft PL-1 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide

Making a pad work

I remembered mine is 30" wide not 25" and it's 5/8" thick making it super warm. The width really covers the sides well, but if I strapped it on the too of my pack I would look like a "T" coming down the trail. It's huge rolled up, but man is it great for when temps drop.
    Ed

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    The volume is the biggest downside to ccf. In winter I strap two pads on the sides of my pack. Makes for a wide pack. I like using a pulk in winter to deal with the bulk (and beer) but sometimes it isn't feasible.

Hammock
    Switchback 1.9DL
    Tarp
    10x12 TTTG CatCut
    Insulation
    PolarPod
    Suspension
    TTTG Ring Buckle
    Images
    I usually put it on top of my pack (yes, I look like a T), unless the trail conditions require me to strap it in line with the pack. I use quick release straps so relocation isn't a pain. If I'm using my Packa, I fold it in thirds and strap/lash it across the pack before I put the Packa on.
    Beer won't solve problems, but then again, neither will milk !
    Designer of the Switchback Hammock
    Tree to Tree Trail Gear:http://tttrailgear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast