DIY
    Tarp
    OES Spinn
    Insulation
    RAB & WM Blue CCF
    Suspension
    Many DIY

Guylines on SpinnUL Tarps

I've got a spinnul deluxe on the way. How are you all guying this out. Heard I dont need tensioners. Trying to figure the lightest system that will pitch quick.

Also, are you using skins or the stuffsack?

Finally, a starting length for the guylines? I do want to use one side as an awning occasionally.

Thanks for the advice. Cant wait to see this thing.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    No tensioners needed, really. For line, I use either yellow mason line from Home Depot or the Speer No-Tangle. Some report difficulties with the mason line tangling, but I've had pretty good luck with it as long as I wrap it before I stuff it.

I don't use either skins or a stuffsack. I just cram it down in the outer pocket of my pack so I can get to it quick if needed.

Guyline length...ummmmm, a lot? I haven't measured it recently, but I'd guess I probably have close to 7' to 10' of line at each point. Overkill. However, I like having the extra line if I want to do something funky with the tarp or just have the extra line for some other need around camp. It's light, so I really don't mind.

Hope it helps.
    Trust nobody!

I carry 10 feet of line on all sides.

I use the Kelty triptease line. Like cannibal said, no tensioners needed.

I currently use the stuff sack - when the weather is nice i just wrap the sides around the "ridgeline" making it fold up like it's in some snake skins.

You will LOVE the tarp.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps & TriGlides
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    No tensioners needed, really. For line, I use either yellow mason line from Home Depot or the Speer No-Tangle. Some report difficulties with the mason line tangling, but I've had pretty good luck with it as long as I wrap it before I stuff it.

I don't use either skins or a stuffsack. I just cram it down in the outer pocket of my pack so I can get to it quick if needed.

Guyline length...ummmmm, a lot? I haven't measured it recently, but I'd guess I probably have close to 7' to 10' of line at each point. Overkill. However, I like having the extra line if I want to do something funky with the tarp or just have the extra line for some other need around camp. It's light, so I really don't mind.

Hope it helps.
    I recently purchased the same tarp and have yet to set it up (how sad is that??). I'd like to know if you guys use a single ridge-line with prussils to tension the tarp or do you tie a line from each end of the tarp? I have always used a single line but I am open to suggestions. ANy advantage or disadvantage to either setup other than the weight of the rope?
    Todd K. Miller

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I've always used a separate piece for each end of the tarp but this weekend I made a single ridge line system for my tarps. Uses pussik loop with a couple extra wraps. I also used flag clips on the prussiks so the line could be easily moved to various tarps.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps & TriGlides
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I've always used a separate piece for each end of the tarp but this weekend I made a single ridge line system for my tarps. Uses pussik loop with a couple extra wraps. I also used flag clips on the prussiks so the line could be easily moved to various tarps.
    That's what I have always used except I have a separate ridge line for each tarp stored in the stuff sack. I have two sons in the house that like to borrow my gear so this way I never end up in the woods wondering where my ridge line is. Thanks for the feedback.
    Todd K. Miller

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I use the separate lines. Not for any real reason, it's just the way I've always done it.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    Another vote for seperate long ones. The one or two times in 10 you use it, it's great to have and worth the .1 oz.

There was a lot of talk a long time ago about running the ridgeline under the tarp. I can't remember the outcome but I think the cons came down to extra weight and wear on the bottom edge of the tarp.

If you probibly rig up a good compression knot to the ridgeline so you can slide the tarp back and forth without untieing. Not sure what would be gained.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Agree with separate lines on each end for the ridge line tie out, however suggest anything but 550 para cord. It stretches when wet.
    On the matter of tensioners - generally not needed but I found in the high winds (up to 50mph gusts) on my AT trip a couple of weeks ago that having tensioners gave the tarp some room to flex in the wind. I think that may have helped with keeping the stakes in the ground. Otherwise the tarp is really tight and holds well without tensioners.
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 double
    Tarp
    OES 12x10 SpinnUL
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, NoSniv
    Quote Originally Posted by zdank View Post
    How are you all guying this out. ...a starting length for the guylines? I do want to use one side as an awning occasionally.

Also, are you using skins or the stuffsack?
    I have on the way a 12x10 in SpinnUL from Brian--should arrive tomorrow. I had Brian install the guylines--10' on the ridgeline and 6' on the other ties. He is using 2mm green line, precut and sealed with heat-shrink tubing (not sure exactly what that is, but it sounded cool). I will also use an awning when weather permits, and will carry additional line for that purpose. I don't plan to use skins nor a stuffsack (except for storage when not hiking). Instead I will keep the tarp folded in an outside pocket for quick hanging in wet weather, before I hang the hammock. Hope this helps. Have fun.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast