Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images

MiniLineLoc + 1.7mm Dyneema

Weight of 4 guy lines (~8 ft max length) plus mini locs is ~20gm. Minimum length of line as set up in the picture is ~3". Dyneema 1.7mm is a bit overkill at +500# break strength when new. Even with UV & time breakdown the lines should last the life span of the tarp. Spent the $$s on a Spinn tarp to reduce weight. No point in adding heavy lines and heavy hardware. At less than 1gm/each the line locks under less than ideal conditions have been worth the additional ~4gm in weight. Easy to use with gloved hands. Quick when you need rapid set up or take down.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Noel V.

Hammock
    WB Tribe
    Tarp
    OGeeTarp & OES
    Insulation
    PHOENIX/BURROW
    Suspension
    Webbing N Whoopie
    I agree with Te-wa,
    you may not NEED the tensioners, but they much reduce the forces applied to the tarp especially in windy conditions.
    This kind of tarp is made of the most expensive material and you sure would hate to see it get damaged. A lot of force can be placed on a large tarp in a very short time in a windy condition.
    I also agree with what Opie said about the ability to adjust the tarp placement when using a full ridge line above or below the tarp. If you go "above", you can also use reefing ties and it also eliminates wear and tear created by the rubbing on the ridgeline. HYOH/YMMV
    IMHO the PRO's outweight the weight sacrifice, no pun intended.
    It may not stretch when wet, but your ears are going to know it is there. Have you ever been on a sailboat with mylar sails? Don't get me wromg I think it is a great material for a tarp and will probably be getting one myself in the future..."Technology waits on us, not the other way around", but I'm just saying you have to be ready for the sound of taughtness, and light wieght....this is coming from a long time sailor, mate.

"High speed...low drag"

And as AC says....cheers!
    "If'n I'm gonna fall, someone is gonna' watch."
    Sean Emery

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    after the first dozen uses i don't find my spinn to be too loud. dunno if it actually got quieter or if i just got used to it.

no tensioners for me. i too used brian's guyline kit thingy. bowlines permanently attach each guy to the tarp, then i just tie them out as i see fit. keeps everything neat and organized for me...

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    koalo have you had any issues w/ the line locs slipping when it's getting super windy?

Images
    i've noticed that spinn isn't loud once the tarp is taut, even with wind blowing. if it was somewhat loose, then it would make noise.

i've never found a need for tensioners, even with sil i found if i pulled it tight enough to begin with it would be ok. the spinn is easier in that regard since it's easier to get taut.

i often use the msr groundhog hitch, but i've also found that if i go around the stake and back through the ring on the tarp corner, i've effectivly created a truckers hitch. just pull to tighten, then just wrap the slack around the 2 lines a few times and tie off with a single slipped half hitch. very easy.

i use seperate lines for the rl pull tabs, but the over-the-top seperate rl with sliding prussic looks worthy of messing with so i'll probably give it a try one of these days.

on my larger tarps, i like to have shorter lines (4' or so) on the ground corners. i can just let them hang free when packing and they're short enough not to tangle much. i'll always carry some longer sections for the rl pull tabs or for times when want to do an awning pitch or something that requires longer lines. since i use the shorter lines most of the time, the long ones stay packed in the stake bag so i only have to mess with long lines when i actually need to use them.

Hammock
    WB Tribe
    Tarp
    OGeeTarp & OES
    Insulation
    PHOENIX/BURROW
    Suspension
    Webbing N Whoopie
    Well, I can always be convinced to listen to someone who has experienced the ride. Like I said before HYOK/YMMV.
    "If'n I'm gonna fall, someone is gonna' watch."
    Sean Emery

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by swoosh View Post
    koalo have you had any issues w/ the line locs slipping when it's getting super windy?
    No problems with gusty winds into 30mph range or wet conditions. Freezing rain/sleet was no problem. Use the same line locks on the ridge line. Tarp ridge line is the stuff JRB stocks. Had a chunk of AirCoreNano to play with. Seemed a bit to thin for a real secure lock and easy release. If you go with these locks 1.7-2.5mm line is what I would recommend. Life gets a bit interesting when setting up or taking down under wet windy conditions or in the dark. Line locks makes it simpler. Especially when wearing gloves. Worse case if a lock fails is to revert to knots.
    Noel V.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123